Oli Frey & Roger Kean talk at Replay, 6th November 2011

Talk about the staff who used to work on the mag
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

1112 hrs. “Arrive at Zzap! Towers, look through piles of rubbish on desk for empty mug. Scrape mould out of mug. Make cup of coffee (leaving milk out of office fridge so there’s yoghurt for lunch), drink coffee, eat rolls, shout at colleagues.”
An average day in the life of Gary Penn

2110 hrs. “Fall into deep sleep after ravages of strenuous day in preparation for following day’s tiring routine. Dream of doing unpleasant things to Competition Minion and pouring coffee into Lloyd’s Hermes while insulting Crash and Amtix! staffers.”
The continuing adventures of Gary Penn

This is the kind of thing that should be in it, hehe. ;-)
Prof wrote:...revealing something that should not be in the public domain...
That's what everybody would be sorta interested in, or remember Gordon's sarcastic gritty take on his Newsfield days, hehe.

Not sure if everybody would gladly cooperate... I don't think it's going to work - getting the true stories of how everybody experienced that decade. Hmm...
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
So Long Ago
Freelancer

Post by So Long Ago »

Prof strain you're back peddling there.... Sanitised doesn't mean saying everything was all smiles as well you know. The history as published makes clear that there were tensions. What it doesn't do is go into details about those tensions and in some cases is either deliberately misleading or sanitised.

Really don't see the point of it. Yes there maybe a few anecdotes but the essential history of Newsfield and how the mags were put together has already been told. I'm not really sure that extra detail adds anything. Regarding things like photos mentioned by Iain there aren't really any. B&w photos were taken to a contact stage then whatever was required for the mag was printed. Sometimes you had a few alternative takes but none that were substantially different from what was published. I worked there for a reasonable amount of time and have very little that wasn't published. I know the same is true fo Roger & Oli and other members of staff. None of my memorabilia is really anymore interesting than the stuff that was published. Its not like a band where you can trace the development of a song.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Any video of the talk surfaced yet?
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Iain wrote:Any video of the talk surfaced yet?
Sorry, was in hospital at the end of last week for surgery, not heard any more on the official videos yet...
Iain
Admin

Re: Oli Frey & Roger Kean talk at Replay, 6th November 2011

Post by Iain »

So, did a video ever surface?
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Re: Oli Frey & Roger Kean talk at Replay, 6th November 2011

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Iain wrote:So, did a video ever surface?
I don't know, unfortunately. I never saw the official videos from 2010 either...