Welcome Randy

Talk about the staff who used to work on the mag
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Nice to hear from you again Paul (you answered some questions for me a couple of years ago).

Are you still living in the North-East?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Randy
Freelancer

Post by Randy »

Hi Lee,

Yes, still wasting my life away when I should be doing something more worthwhile (and lucrative!)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Randy wrote:Hi Lee,

Yes, still wasting my life away when I should be doing something more worthwhile (and lucrative!)
Randy, what are you up to these days?
Any inside information you could share with us about working at Zzap towers?? :)
Ta!
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Randy
Freelancer

Post by Randy »

Plenty of stories, but nothing I could put in print!

Anyway, I thought I was annoying?
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Randy wrote:Plenty of stories, but nothing I could put in print!

Anyway, I thought I was annoying?
Heh, heh.
Well, I have to talk for myself now, as I'm not sure about everyone else's opinions and feelings about the Zzap reviewer Randy, or who we thought he was/is and why. See? :)

Personally and honestly speaking, to me, Zzap's best times were it's first 4 years (especially issues 9 up to 20-something, maybe early 30's) after Julian left, things changed drastically. Although Gordon and his team did a (different) but still pretty good job, I started to worry about Zzap after he and his team were fired. I didn't like the new style and the design, and the reviewers/characters as much as I did in the years before. The games btw, were not as good as in the '85/'88 period as well.

And yes, I admit it, as a kid I got quite a bit annoyed because of you, and your attention drawing photography and writing stylee. A bit too much on the egocentric side of things, for my taste. Not that I actually *knew* you of course, it was just the feeling I got flicking thru Zzap, which I only bought because of for old times sake. So, no, you're not my favourite Zzap reviewer, and yes, of course I am/was a bit jealous because I'd luuurved to have written for Zzap back in the days also. (No chance -because of my horrible English -I'm Dutch y'see)

But still, I'm not judging you personally as a 'annoying' person, since I totally don't know the *true Randy*, especially not since I haven't heard or 'seen' you the last 15 years, you might as well be a very nice chap, and why not!? :)
Just like most of the other 30 somethings around here, I have to say. :wink:

But, regardless of what I or we thought about you back in the days (justified or not) makes not much of a difference, you're ex-Zzap-staff, so
that's cool, and you must have some interesting stories anyway, for us fanboys at least. :D
Anywhichway you take my words - you're more than welcome, I'm glad you found us, and I hope you feel free to join our 'interesting' and sometimes silly Zzap related discussions. (Btw, last december one third of our messages got lost due to hacking, so a lot of useful and funny stuff got lost :evil: )

Btw, how did you find the topic? Did you use 'search' and your name?
Vanity, hm? :wink: Nah... 8)

Taaa!
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I think the full page of Randy hugging that girl was pretty close to Zzap!64's nadir—at least until Lucy Hickman killed the ailing mag dead. I actually didn't have a problem with Randy's general writing—just the photos were a little over at times.

Anyway, welcome to the board. Here's hoping you stick around for a while.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

CraigGrannell wrote:...at least until Lucy Hickman killed the ailing mag dead...
Hey! Don't mention the 'L' word at this board, Craig. :twisted:

I wonder what would happen if she visited the Rrap!? :D :wink:

ps. Err, should I really change my name in Mr.Offtopic now? :D
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Although the best days of ZZAP! were over by Randy's time (as Rob already said), I did like the humour - Probably as I am in the North-East, so I 'get it', plus CRASH were doing a similar line with the tips (the continuing adventures of Nick Roberts and his girlfriend), so I guess it gave the pages a bit more personality (than say CU did!).
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Randy
Freelancer

Post by Randy »

Don't worry, I don't take it personally! Or too seriously.

If truth be told, I look back at those old issues and never know whether to smile or cringe! Just try to bear in mind, however, the position I was in at the time - 3 weeks in my first job in the business, on the best known (and still probably best at the time) games mag, to find out I'm the only one left on the bloody thing!

The stories! I could write a book! But as I say, I'd probably spend the rest of my time (and meagre wage) in a courtroom.

Lee, didn't actually realise you were in 'Pool! Maybe we should get together for a pint and a chat! (Some things never change)...
Randy
Freelancer

Post by Randy »

Mr ZzapBack...

Actually I bought an old issue of CVG on Ebay and was told this site existed.

I left my ego in Yorkshire some time ago thanks.

Now don't make me do the William Shatner thing...
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Randy wrote:3 weeks in my first job in the business, on the best known (and still probably best at the time) games mag, to find out I'm the only one left on the bloody thing!
Yes, some stunning Newsfield mismanagement: make people redundant, despite the positions still being required. I bet you wondered what the hell was going on when all the knives started flying. Think yourself lucky, I guess: at least they didn't expect you to do the entire mag yourself!
Randy
Freelancer

Post by Randy »

You think? Look at what they filled the positions with.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Randy wrote:Mr ZzapBack...

Actually I bought an old issue of CVG on Ebay and was told this site existed.

I left my ego in Yorkshire some time ago thanks.

Now don't make me do the William Shatner thing...
Haha, ok :D
Just pokin' a bit.
It's really nice to have you here. :)

Ta!
Rob
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Randy wrote:
The stories! I could write a book! But as I say, I'd probably spend the rest of my time (and meagre wage) in a courtroom.
Wait! Had it *anything* to do with you being forced into the dark room by Oli?? :D :wink:

Courtesy of Naughty Jokes Inc. 8)
Randy
Freelancer

Post by Randy »

What, Oli was a photographer?