ZZap wages?

Talk about the staff who used to work on the mag
So Long Ago
Freelancer

Post by So Long Ago »

LeeT wrote:Presumably Newsfield realised that they would lose all their writers to EMAP, so they just kept the drawer of the filing cabinet marked 'Job Applications' constantly open? :)
Don't really know whether Newsfield's staff turnover was really any higher than other publishers.

Though wages were crap I don't think it was entirely out of meaness. Don't know for certain but I don't think there were oodles of cash going about. Certainly the directors didn't appear to have lavish lifestyles. Also bear in mind for a lot of the staff it was their first job and they were joining with no publishing history. Some reviewers work was very heavily subbed.
Randy
Freelancer

Post by Randy »

Mine wasn't, and they still paid me shit money!

Does that mean I can expect a lump sum at some stage?
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

So Long Ago wrote:
LeeT wrote:Presumably Newsfield realised that they would lose all their writers to EMAP, so they just kept the drawer of the filing cabinet marked 'Job Applications' constantly open? :)
Don't really know whether Newsfield's staff turnover was really any higher than other publishers.

Though wages were crap I don't think it was entirely out of meaness. Don't know for certain but I don't think there were oodles of cash going about. Certainly the directors didn't appear to have lavish lifestyles. Also bear in mind for a lot of the staff it was their first job and they were joining with no publishing history. Some reviewers work was very heavily subbed.
That was going to be my next question ("Did Oli have a secret stash of Rembrandts") :lol:
I think it was Barnaby Page who told me that a lot of the CRASH writers work had to be re-written.
Surely the LM writers were given a fair bit of money as an incentive to come to Ludlow (I know there was also a London office, but I believe some still worked in Ludlow)?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Randy
Freelancer

Post by Randy »

Barnaby, now there was a cracking bloke.

Rented his cottage down by the water after escaping The Boarding House From Hell and felt like a proper creative type!

Looking back, it was a right dump, but no worse than I left Gaz Penn's place.

Never came back to find the front door kicked off its hinges by the Old Bill either, but hey, that's Sarf London for you.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Was it the hairstyle police come to arrest Gaz? :lol:

(Apologies to Gaz if you become involved with this forum at any point in the future!) :oops:
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

LeeT wrote:Was it the hairstyle police come to arrest Gaz? :lol:

(Apologies to Gaz if you become involved with this forum at any point in the future!) :oops:
Well, luckily due to the board-hack, the threads and posts revealing 'recent' images of Gaz and comments about his appearance are all gonzo! 8)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:12 years later and I'm writing for Retro Gamer, and I'm being paid the same amount per page.
To be fair, though, Retro Gamer's rates are significantly lower than "typical" freelance rates (although I don't know how they compare to other _gaming_ magazines).

That said, of all the magazines I write for, only one is currently paying me more per word than I was getting three or four years ago, and one is actually paying less.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

And therein lies the reason why I discovered a decade ago I could never do that gig as a proper fulltime job, and instead contribute freelance in my spare time whilst maintaining a high paying IT position :?
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

I think I got £6,000 p.a., after my trial period (a month?) ended. Before that it was £4,500. When I became editor I negotiated a rise to £16,000 p.a. -- which is possibly one of the reasons I left so quickly. :) The worst aspect was overtime, because inevitably every issue demanded it, and some issues it was impossible to finish without 3-4 hours a night for at least a couple of weeks.

But either way, it's still unbelievably shit money. At EMAP I got 10p a word, which was a much fairer system.

And then again, we were getting paid to play games, have fun and write, so what's to complain about. ;)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Hey Gordo! Havn't seen you around these parts for a while, nice to see you're still alive etc. :-)

16K for being an editor wasn't too bad though was it? Considering it was the late 80's when everything was fucked up economy wise.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

iain wrote:Hey Gordo! Havn't seen you around these parts for a while, nice to see you're still alive etc. :-)

16K for being an editor wasn't too bad though was it? Considering it was the late 80's when everything was fucked up economy wise.
It was too much, I think. :) Like I say, I think that's one reason they were glad to get me off the payroll.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

CraigGrannell wrote:
Professor Brian Strain wrote:12 years later and I'm writing for Retro Gamer, and I'm being paid the same amount per page.
To be fair, though, Retro Gamer's rates are significantly lower than "typical" freelance rates (although I don't know how they compare to other _gaming_ magazines).

That said, of all the magazines I write for, only one is currently paying me more per word than I was getting three or four years ago, and one is actually paying less.
Compared to one or two other magazines I know of, Retro Gamer is in the middle in terms of pay. Of course, if you are paid by word you can get a good deal. And with RG's large introductory page, it's almost like a bonus every time you get an article printed :wink:
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

gordon wrote: It was too much, I think. :) Like I say, I think that's one reason they were glad to get me off the payroll.
So one can directly link you and your high wages to the downfall of Newsfield?? Expect to see a lynch mob in Oxford sometime soon looking for you! ;-)
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

iain wrote:So one can directly link you and your high wages to the downfall of Newsfield?? Expect to see a lynch mob in Oxford sometime soon looking for you! ;-)
Ha! They'll never find me! I disguise myself with a ginger beard and moustache these days.

Oh...
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:Compared to one or two other magazines I know of, Retro Gamer is in the middle in terms of pay.
I suppose it depends what other magazines you write for. To be fair, Retro Gamer never actually offered me any articles (although, to date, almost every single pitch I made has showed up in the magazine in some form, despite Martyn saying that none of my ideas particularly grabbed him...), so I'm only going on what other people were offered. Those figures seemed to be slightly lower than Paragon's rates, and significantly lower than anyone else's.

That said, money wouldn't have been an issue—I'd have been quite happy to write for Retro Gamer for a much reduced rate, but there you go.