Late-night errors...

Talk about the staff who used to work on the mag
jcompton
Techno Teaboy

Late-night errors...

Post by jcompton »

Much has been made of how hard and long the skeleton crew worked reviewing dozens of games per month, writing the reviews, laying everything out, etc. etc. When people work long, late hours, sometimes errors show up. Since I haven't had time to read my scans digital cover-to-cover, I'll just ask... did anything truly bizarre ever slip past the proofreading step simply because there wasn't time to give it a second look?

I don't mean "turn to page 50" when it's really on page 60 bizarre, I mean "okay, wow, that's really wrong" bizarre.

There are some well-known examples of this (Amiga Format leaps to mind, they once went to print captioning an image with something along the lines of "XXX TYPE SOME SHIT HERE XXX".) I was even the culprit once. In trying to make a deadline for CU Amiga, I was up past 3 AM writing and was finishing the last few paragraphs while nodding off at the keyboard, so I typed some truly delusional and factually inaccurate things. CU's editors excised most of the delusional stuff without comment (I guess they thought I was using wacky Americanisms or something) but a couple of the factual inaccuracies, to my horror, remained because... well, because they took my word for it!

I now make it a point not to write past 3 AM.
Waiting patiently (vainly) for the Def Guide to CU Amiga...
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

It always struck me as odd that in the Def Guide to Shoot 'Em Ups (issue...48? 49? 50?) that the final paragraph had the word "Bullshit" in there for no apparent reason :)
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

Remember the calendar given away with Issue 104? Here's a link for ya... Spot the mistake? No? What day of the week did 25th May (among others) fall on that year? Nice bit of proofreading there!