Roger Kean

Talk about the staff who used to work on the mag
Iain
Admin

Roger Kean

Post by Iain »

Some sad news was posted on FB by Roger (it's a public post) a couple of days ago. I don't really check FB any more so I only became aware of it today via a post on Lemon64.

Since it's a public post and people may not want to go to FB, I will quote it here:
At the end of October 1985 my father Joe Kean passed away from Motor Neurone Disease. In all that time, while physicians have gained a wider understanding of the multivarious symptoms, medical science has come no nearer to finding a cure, or even an ameliorating intervention.

I now confront the same condition my father faced some 37 years ago when he received his prognosis of two years – give or take.

The first manifestation became apparent after last Christmas. Consultation with neurophysiology at Hereford suggested that I should undergo electrical muscular tests to determine what was happening. Those, to take place in early April were postponed by the coronavirus until mid-July, and on the 30th I received the diagnosis that I do indeed have MND – better known in America as ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis). Prognosis runs from a year to possibly five, all dependent on where the first manifestation started – upper limbs or bulbar (thoracic / larynx) region. In my case it’s not clear which it is, though I have symptoms in both regions.

Otherwise, as things stand I am fit, the main complaints being an inability to hold my head upright for long, weakness in the hands, with a lack of thumb-forefinger coordination (doing up shirt buttons is a nightmare and cookery and baking now a thing of the past), and increasingly impaired speech/swallowing.

I’m determined to remain cheerful and not let it get me down – I’m sure there will be time enough to feel sorry for myself farther down the road. So, I would ask everyone to feel the same way about it. However, this is this the reason why Chris Wilkins hinted a few weeks back that the current CRASH Annual will be the last I edit and lay out, although I will certainly complete the ZZAP!64 Annual 2021, which is currently some 60% done.

I felt it sensible to broadcast this rather than allow rumours to create confusion, and I wish to thank everyone who has already expressed sympathy and may well do so in the future.

Keep smiling.
Fab
Freelancer

Re: Roger Kean

Post by Fab »

:(
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

:|
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Roger has posted on Facebook today that Oli is to undergo treatment for throat cancer.
Hoping that they will both pull through this tough time.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

:(

Really sorry to hear this, I really hope the treatment goes well.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Sad to say, but Oli is now receiving end of life care.
Fab
Freelancer

Post by Fab »

Even sadder... https://www.facebook.com/fusionretroboo ... ziyTUYehQl
It's with great sadness that I have to announce that Oliver Frey passed away this morning at 7.55.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Ohh.. I missed this. I didn't think he would go so soon... :(
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

and unfortunately Roger Kean has passed away as well, following his life partner Oli.

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2023 ... assed-away

We owe both of them (and many others) so much for bringing the joy of Zzap! into our teenage and beyond years.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Was so sad to hear the news of Roger’s passing.

Recent years have been a privilege, to work with Roger on books, Annuals and the revived Newsfield magazines. We now have the chance to continue his legacy. Rest in peace, my friend.
DAM
Techno Teaboy

Post by DAM »

So saddened by this news. The photo of Roger with his ninety year old mother was heart breaking.
It has been a terribly sad couple of years for the scene.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

That was a powerful photo and she was actually 99 in it I believe.