Other magazines (not Zzap) but: SUPER PLAY!

Everything else not related to emulation
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Other magazines (not Zzap) but: SUPER PLAY!

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hi folks,
for me SUPER PLAY, that awesome SNES mag is my (close) second favourite computer mag (after Zzap ,of course).
Anyone else got a SNES after (or during) the commodore era?
Super play was excellent because they reviewed IMPORT games, rare japanese stuff, and they were RPG/anime aficionados. They also got a brill' artist in Wil Overton.
Now I don't like Manga at all, but I'm a huuuge fan of the Zelda, Secret Of Mana, Final Fantasy III & Chrono Trigger RPG's/adventures.

At this moment I'm scanning in my collection of Super Play's, but I'm missing some cool stuff. If anybody has the Zelda a link to the past player's guide they published in issue 2 & 3, I'd be really happy to get my hands on them for scanning. I'd happily borrow or buy them. Anyone?

Ta!
Rob
Btw, still searching for replacement issues of Zzap!64, nr's 14 & 15.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
gordon
Director

Re: Other magazines (not Zzap) but: SUPER PLAY!

Post by gordon »

biggestjim wrote:Anyone else got a SNES after (or during) the commodore era?... I'm a huuuge fan of the Zelda, Secret Of Mana, Final Fantasy III & Chrono Trigger RPG's/adventures.
Yep -- still got mine in the attic, with Zelda, Super MarioWorld and Super Mario Kart -- three games that are among the best adventures / platformers / racers on any console, past or present. I love that machine, in some ways it's better than the Nintendo 64. Played Chrono Trigger on an emulator years later and was really glad I did -- it's a special game.

g.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

gordon wrote:Yep -- still got mine in the attic, with Zelda, Super MarioWorld and Super Mario Kart
I wonder why SMW never made it to the GBA? Bloody infuriating...
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

It has... well it's the next GBA Mario release (after SMB2, Yoshi's Island and SMB3)...

As for SuperPlay, yes great mag, I have a few contributions in there, and I have all 48 issues in binders sitting somewhere in the house...
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

CraigGrannell wrote:
gordon wrote:Yep -- still got mine in the attic, with Zelda, Super MarioWorld and Super Mario Kart
I wonder why SMW never made it to the GBA? Bloody infuriating...
Hmmm... I've seen an emulated version of Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2, which is exactly the same game as the SNES SMW. I've also seen Yoshi's Island (the sequel) in the shops, so it should be available...

g.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Sorry - was being an idiot. I meant SMB, not SMW (i.e. the original Super Mario Brothers from 1985ish). The GBA conversions started from SMB2, and the version for the GBC has vertical scrolling, which is a bit iffy.

Turns out the missus likes the original, but not ant of the sequels...
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

CraigGrannell wrote:Sorry - was being an idiot. I meant SMB, not SMW (i.e. the original Super Mario Brothers from 1985ish). The GBA conversions started from SMB2, and the version for the GBC has vertical scrolling, which is a bit iffy. Turns out the missus likes the original, but not any of the sequels...
Ugh. That sounds horrible, and a bit weird (the vertical scrolling, I mean). You're right about the original SMB -- don't know what happened about that. It's a pretty neat game, the first I ever played on a NES (if we're talking about the same thing), and the first time I saw stuff like hidden rooms, hidden worlds, etc... Very nice. Seems ideal for the GBA.

g.

Hang on -- you said "the missus"... ?!?
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

The vertical scroll simply doesn't work, and introduces the 'leap into the unknown' thing, which doesn't usually happen with Nintendo. I guess SMB was seen as being too old, but seeing as Nintendo is doing rehashes of everything else, I would have though the original would have been included... Maybe Super Mario All Stars (or whatever it was on the SNES) will be ported to the GBA.
Hang on -- you said "the missus"... ?!?
Well, as in my other half... We're not married yet.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

CraigGrannell wrote:Maybe Super Mario All Stars (or whatever it was on the SNES) will be ported to the GBA.
That would be a good idea: I remember when I had the SNES thinking I wouldn't pay for a rehash of NES games; then when that package appeared (with the SM Lost Worlds, and SMB 1 and 2 -- was that all?), I bought it. Since a lot of GBA games are SNES remakes, it would make sense.

But maybe they think the idea is just too old now? Nintendo tend to have good judgement about these things.

g.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Mm, yeah.
I always have my snes within reach, and I have an immaculate collection of SNES games*.
Every now and then I get it out of my ''computerroom'' and link it to our TV, just to play Sensible Soccer or Zelda.
It's STILL a perfect gamesmachine. In some ways it's never been beaten, but don't ask me how and why, probably it's only feelings of nostalgia?
At least Zelda & Chrono Trigger and the Mario's are milestone's.

Btw, Mayhem, (in case you read this, maybe I'll PM you later)
does the last Super Play (issue 48?) contain a 'backorder' page?
If so, could you please, please scan that page in for me (150 dpi or so) since I need thumbnails of all Super Play covers.(and my last issue is 35!)
Well, maybe this is too much asked, but hey, you never know...
Any spare copies btw?

*my snes collection (all (plastic)boxed with manuals)

Super Mario World
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario World 2 (Yoshi's Island)
Super Mario Kart

Donkey Kong Country
Super Bomberman
Firemen (excellent!!!)
Earthworm Jim

Pilotwings
Stuntrace FX
Smash Tennis
Super Tennis
Sensible Soccer European Edition
Sensible Soccer World Edition
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
Fifa Soccer (this is a drama!)
NHLPA '93 (poor)
Micro Machines

Chrono Trigger
Zelda III
Terranigma
Secret Of Mana
Secret Of Evermore
Lufia II
Megalomania (sensible software, cool game!)

...could be that I forgot a couple.

Is there something that's worth to add? (I loved Tetris Attack btw)

Ta!
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Micro Machines - now there's a game I'd love to own, but the GBA version sucks big-time. Oh well.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Really? The GBC version of it was pretty good, included MM 1 and 2 IIRC.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

I'll see if I have time over the weekend to scan the Superplay covers for you Jim. Fortunately Superplay binders are just a simple "wire and groove" system (similar to the Commodore Force ones) so it's easy to get them in and out. Though I believe the mag was bigger than A4, which should make fitting them on the scanner interesting.

Sadly no spare issues, I just bought it from #1 and continued on till the end at #48. And then I also have a complete N64/NGC set currently too :D

As for my SNES collection, it's too big for me to remember everything offhand, especially the amount of SFC (Japanese) items I also own... but just about anything major you can name, I almost certainly have it...
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

iain wrote:Really? The GBC version of it was pretty good, included MM 1 and 2 IIRC.
The GBA one feels like the cars are driving on soap. It's probably the only GBA game that's way too hard.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Here's what I could find... there might be more, but this is my SNES collection ;)

Oh and all are complete with box and manual...

Castlevania IV (PAL)

Right that's the UK stuff out of the way. My SNES is American, and hence the rest of the lots are either US or Japanese in origin...

US stuff

Contra III
Mystical Ninja
Mario Kart
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Smash TV
Space Megaforce (aka Super Aleste)
Zelda III: LttP
John Madden 93
NHL 93
Top Gear
Desert Strike
Cybernator
Super Mario Allstars
Super Bomberman (plus multitap)
TMNT Fighters
NHL 94
Megaman X
Secret of Mana
Zombies Ate My Neighbours
NBA Jam
Saturday Night Slam Masters (aka Muscle Bomber)
Stunt Race FX
Sparkster
EarthWorm Jim
Mario RPG
Yoshi's Island
Williams Arcade Hits
Chrono Trigger
Shadowrun
Megaman X2
Megaman X3
Megaman 7
Earthbound
Final Fantasy II (aka IV)
Final Fantasy III (aka VI)
Starfox Weekend (aka the competition cartridge)

Japanese stuff

Fire Emblem Thracia 776 Deluxe pack
SF2
Final Fight
Ranma 1/2
Area 88 (aka UN Squadron)
Axelay
Super Star Wars
Ranma 1/2 part II
Starfox
Exhaust Heat 2
SF2 Turbo
F-Zero
Super SF2
Super Mario Bros 4 (aka Super Mario World)
Samurai Spirits
Ganbare Goeman 2 (aka Mystical Ninja 2)
TMNT4: Turtles in Time
Wrecking Crew 98
Super Mario Picross
Super Donkey Kong 1-3 (aka Donkey Kong Country)
Front Mission
Front Mission: Gun Hazard
Super Tennis
Dracula XX
Final Fight Guy
Final Fight 2
Final Fight Tough (aka Final Fight 3)
Super R-Type
Super Puyo Puyo
Perfect Eleven (aka ISS)
Rock 'n Roll Racing
Kirby Bowl
Super Smash TV
Nichibutsu Arcade Classics 1 and 2
Rockman and Forte (aka Megaman and Bass)
Fatal Fury 2
Star Ocean
Demon's Blazon
Dazaemon (like SEUCK)
Super Chase HQ
Pop 'n Twinbee
Yoshi's Cookie
Mario and Wario
Big Run
Illusion of Gaia