Old programmers... where are they now?

Everything else not related to emulation
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Old programmers... where are they now?

Post by PaulEMoz »

I'm not actually asking as such, but I'm just asking a question generally that might be answered by those in the know.

Thing is, I've had what I think is a great idea for a book, which I think would fill a niche that hasn't really been tapped by any of the videogames books I've read. But there wouldn't be that much point going ahead with it if I wasn't going to be able to get hold of the folks that made games in the 80s, as well as other personalities from the time.

So, does anyone know how well hidden they are these days, and how reluctant they are to come out of hiding for such things? I'm just trying to gauge how much point there might be to starting any sort of prep work...
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Re: Old programmers... where are they now?

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

The book I am currently part of the way through writing will have a big section on software houses and programmers.

Through Retro Gamer I know it can range from being very easy to find someone, to being incredibly difficult and then the person being reluctant to talk.
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Hmmm... that could also impact on whether I start anything or not. It would probably be quite different, but there's not much point going over already-trodden ground.
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Mine will be focused on the C64, but will contain a lot of where are they now detail...
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Ah, well mine might be a different take, in that case...

I'll have to have a think, though.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:Mine will be focused on the C64, but will contain a lot of where are they now detail...
Any more info on this book you were talking about Andrew?
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Iain wrote:
Professor Brian Strain wrote:Mine will be focused on the C64, but will contain a lot of where are they now detail...
Any more info on this book you were talking about Andrew?
On hold indefinitely. I'd like to finish it someday. But that would probably mean a Kickstarter/pre-order campaign to fund it.

With major surgery on the way in 2015, it won't be this year.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Makes sense on both accounts!

Kickstarter would seem to be the way to go these days, especially as you would have good "community reach" (did I just invent another Bulshit Bingo term there?!). Let's hope surgery sucess in 2015 leads to a book success in 2016! :)