Advice on phpBB

Everything else not related to emulation
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Advice on phpBB

Post by alexhighnumber »

Can anyone give me, or point me in the direction of a simple concise guide to phpBB? My ageing 'Frontpage' discussion section is down yet again (Thanks to LeeT for pm'ing me though here to let me know) and rather than rebuild it yet again I'm thinking of going to phpBB for the extra features and reliability and I've been told by my ISP that my hosting package supports and is setup for it at least.

Is the phpBB site itself the best guide to getting started http://www.phpbb.com/support/ or is there any other places that have simple instructions for people new to php?

Thanks
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

phpBB is very easy to set up, I just used the instructions on the offical phpBB site and was set up in no time at all, I had used Ultimate BB before and that involved a little more setting up.
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

I hope so, actually I think I'm making good progress as I've got to the stage of uploading php (I think I'm going to FTP as I'm a bit confused about Shell access) and I know for sure now php is running and I've created a mysql db, just enter a name and it was created automatically - seemed too easy!)

I'll see if I can manage it this weekend.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

It is quite easy, use an ftp program to upload though! Altrhough make sure it send sthe right files in ascii or binary. I use open source FileZilla, an excellent proggy.
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

Actually I took a chance and uploaded it using Frontpage but it seemed to work fine. In fact once I'd worked out the correct link for the install page it was a breeze! It's working now but I'd like to change the colours to be more in keeping with the rest of the site so I'll be reading up on that today (I haven't even figured how to change the logo yet!)