Craig's new album

Everything else not related to emulation
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Craig's new album

Post by CraigGrannell »

Bit of a pimp-me-do here, but what the hey: in-between bouts of subbing for Rob, doing some actual work for various publishers and clients, and sneezing like a maniac (hay fever is such fun), I finally got my new album (the first since 2001!) finished: check it out at www.projectnoise.co.uk — there's even a freebie downloadable single!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

oi, let's check it out then! :D

Hayfever? Here's another victim (16th year now), but I must say I have some excellent medicins now, so almost free from all symptoms! :o

btw, Craig, where should I send the DEF tribute to?
Your corporate snub address?
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

I don't want to turn this into a hayfever thread, but I read that as projectNOSE.co.uk :shock:
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Is that domain nicked already? :P
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Nope. Still available. :) Along with MyEyesAreBloodyItchingLikeHell.co.uk
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

thread is officially hijacked now! :D

Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

*sends in the Threadbusters*

OK, we'll have no off-topic posting here.

Love the single, Craig! Nice stuff in a classic New Order stylee...
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

My verdict?

Loved the instrumentation - reminds me of elements of Joy Division and Nine Inch Nails. I think the vocals were a bit weak, to be honest - Perhaps you could consider linking up with someone else to do the vocals. The first track was quite 'catchy' (though I hate using that word in connection with this type of music!) though I think it went on slightly too long.

Overall - Pretty good.

(Hope you don't mind the criticism, Craig!) :wink:
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

LeeT wrote: I think the vocals were a bit weak, to be honest - Perhaps you could consider linking up with someone else to do the vocals.
Well, I dunno, but I think (hope) Craig can sing, but this particular type of music is all about out of tune-ness?

I mean, I liked the instrumental stuff, but I erm, disliked the rest of it.
Not specificly Craig's fault (I guess), I just do not like the whole new (or old-new) wave/gothic/industrial style of music, from Cure to Smiths to NIN to (dare I mention) Manson & co, from Joy Division to whoever's crying in a microphone. (yeah, I know, trying to squeeze them all in one box here, sorry fans! :wink: )

Some exceptions though: Pumpkins (mostly) Radiohead (well, bends and ok computer) and Kraftwerk (only recently found out about them).

As a kid already, I was into the Beatles, so I'm all melody and nice harmony stuff, see. Please, do not hold it against me. :wink:
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:I just do not like ... [The] Smiths
:shock:

Has anyone still got that rolled-up issue 44 handy? :)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Oi, replying to myself, tsk, tsk.
Anyway, while we're anyway entering the 'famous to a few area', I thought I might as well unleash my own silly recordings to a puzzled audience of fellow Zzap! nerds ™. :D

Here (right mouse button, save target as...) you'll find a 'song' ('66) I (sort of) recorded back in 1996 for my girlfriend (who I was about to marry that same year).
I won't bother to tell you about everything that's wrong with it. I'll leave that all up to you, hehe. :wink:
(oh, please forgive me my pronunciation! :roll: )

My wife still loves it...but then she likes Kool & the gang as well. :shock: :D
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Well, I dunno, but I think (hope) Craig can sing, but this particular type of music is all about out of tune-ness?
Not necessarily - I can see what Craig is trying to do with the vocals and he has made a good effort but my comment from above still stands.
I mean, I liked the instrumental stuff, but I erm, disliked the rest of it.
Not specificly Craig's fault (I guess), I just do not like the whole new (or old-new) wave/gothic/industrial style of music, from Cure to Smiths to NIN to (dare I mention) Manson & co, from Joy Division to whoever's crying in a microphone. (yeah, I know, trying to squeeze them all in one box here, sorry fans! :wink: )
Although I don't listen to a lot of the heavier music at home, I do DJ every week at a club playing a wide variety of indie/rock/alternative stuff, so I do feel qualified to give an opinion. In fact, I've DJ'ed for five years out of the past ten years (on and off) - Bloody hell, wheres the time gone!
Some exceptions though: Pumpkins (mostly) Radiohead (well, bends and ok computer) and Kraftwerk (only recently found out about them).
Funnily I don't really like those groups - Billy Corgan gets on my nerves for some reason (probably reading Melody maker during the 1990's didn't help, as they had it in for him). I saw Radiohead at Teeside Poly in 1992 supporting Sultans of Ping - They just basically made a noise and I wasn't that impressed (though I did buy their first EP which is now worth about £100). I loved 'The Bends' and their live act had also improved a hell of a lot by this point (circa 1995). Since then they have disappeared into self-indulgent toss, so I haven't bought any of their records in the last eight years!
As a kid already, I was into the Beatles, so I'm all melody and nice harmony stuff, see. Please, do not hold it against me. :wink:
I must admit that I prefer a tune with a nice melody - If I went to a club I would rather hear some classic indie stuff (The Smiths, Most of the Madchester stuff) than the likes of System of A Down and Disturbed - Sadly that's what the kids seem to be into these days... :(
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

LeeT wrote: I loved 'The Bends' and their live act had also improved a hell of a lot by this point (circa 1995). Since then they have disappeared into self-indulgent toss, so I haven't bought any of their records in the last eight years!
Yeah, me too. Such a shame! (oi, nice song btw :wink: )
LeeT wrote: I must admit that I prefer a tune with a nice melody - If I went to a club I would rather hear some classic indie stuff (The Smiths, Most of the Madchester stuff) than the likes of System of A Down and Disturbed - Sadly that's what the kids seem to be into these days...
Yeah, another shame. *sigh*
Where have all the good times gone? (oi, another nice song btw :D )
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

LeeT wrote:(Hope you don't mind the criticism, Craig!)
Of course not! To the greater extent, you're bang on the money anyway. I think the new kit I've got available has done wonders for the production values of the instruments, and my guitar playing has improved (especially due to the wonderful ability to cut and paste), but the vocals are still... problematic for me. Still, I gave it my best shot (in fact, many shots, as I ended up doing plenty of takes), and there are some decent vocals here and there (well, I'm definitely happy with the vocals for "Another Second" and "Collide"—check the clips in the "Preview the album" section!).

Collaborations may be possible in the future, depending in what direction things go. A vocal coach may also be a possibility, I guess.
The first track was quite 'catchy' (though I hate using that word in connection with this type of music!) though I think it went on slightly too long.
But it's the classic pop-song length of about 3'30! ;)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

CraigGrannell wrote: But it's the classic pop-song length of about 3'30! ;)
Nah, that's under 3! :wink: