I'm feeling a bit wiik...

Everything else not related to emulation
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

I'm feeling a bit wiik...

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

You too?
So?
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

No-one then?
Ah well.
Without a Wii I tried to 'console' myself buying the new "Love" album from the Beatles.

Njah. :?

[sigh]

oh, and A fish called Wanda on DVD. That helped! :D
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
peteroddan
Techno Teaboy

Post by peteroddan »

I'm with you, Mr Z.

After having 3 of my preorders fail, I walked round the whole of Ilford town center trying to buy one.
Failing there, I skived off work and tried bluewater, but all sold out there too.

You'd think if they were going to get one console launch right, it would be the one 2 weeks before Christmas!

I'm dying for a wii, but it looks like I'll have to wait until the new year....that could get messy.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

peteroddan wrote: I'm dying for a wii, but it looks like I'll have to wait until the new year....that could get messy.
Ho ho! People in Dublin were queuing around the corner for a wii last night, normally they'd just go down a lane!
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

I was consoling (ho ho) myself with the imminent arrival of Twilight Princess on the Cube, but now my preorder for *that* has been cancelled by play.com, I wish I'd bought a Wii. I even sold a load of stuff on ebay to pay for it - I've got the cash but no console.

It's not like I haven't got enough games and machines already - but from all the threads I've read over the past day or so, the wii does sound excellent. Looks like February before I can get my hands on one, though.

So I'm with you, Mr Zzap!Back. :)
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Same here Gordon, with Christmas coming up and my PS2 breaking, didn't have enough left to pre-order a Wii - so I will be in the second wave.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

gordon wrote:I was consoling (ho ho)
Hey, that one was mine already in this thread! And I'm Dutch. :wink:
gordon wrote:...even sold a load of stuff on ebay to pay for it - I've got the cash but no console.
Not your kids I hope... :D

Anyway, I have a friend who got one, I'll visit him one of these days to check it out. I don't mind waiting for a couple of months (eventually) I'm still busy finishing Windwaker,AGAIN! 8)

When I feel wiik, I pick up my DS lite and do some Brain Training.
:)
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

...and Yoshi's Island, and Big Brain Academy, and Mario Kart...

I'm feeling happier now. 8)
peteroddan
Techno Teaboy

Post by peteroddan »

According to my local Virgin Megastore (Bluewater), they are getting some in this week which will go on general sale.

Although they wouldn't allow me to preorder one, they say they will reserve me one for three hours if I call up on they day they get them in.
Of course, they were unable to tell me which day this will be, just that it's this week......
They also seemed to think this would be happening at most of their stores in the county....
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

yup, those indeed....and ZooKeeper, and Nintendogs and Sudoku Master err... :oops:

Btw, in two weeks time we'll be celebrating our wedding (10 years!) and I think my wife got me the 42-1 game! Yess. 8)

Actually: The Wii? The who?
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Been thinking of getting one after Christmas.

My brother-in-law is a store manager for Game and recently went on a "conference" where he tried out the Wii (for hours) and loads of games on big screens.

He thought it to be one of the best consoles ever; not up there graphically with all the others, but offering good old fashioned fun!

His store were earmarked 90 consoles. He presold them all within hours... :(
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

I have had a look at my local Game store and the independent in town and both have sold and are unlikely to have any available before Christmas, oh well will have to continue to play on my old modded Xbox, current game is Conkers Live and Reloaded with a bit of Flatout 2 for moral support :wink:
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:Btw, in two weeks time we'll be celebrating our wedding (10 years!) and I think my wife got me the 42-1 game! Yess. 8)
Congratulations on the wedding anniversary! More importantly ;) , 42 all-time classics is ace. Playing chess online against opponents from around the world has been a favourite pastime of mine in the last month. And the bowling is pretty good, too...
peteroddan
Techno Teaboy

Post by peteroddan »

I've just managed to order one from amazon.co.uk!

They don't say how many they've got, but I don't see them lasting long.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Well, I read that they're officially sold out now or something? (see quote)

I was baffled, to say the least, when my direct colleague (sharing the same office and desk) told me he got a wii for 90 quid (!!!) because his daughter works for a certain computerchain over here. They've been playing wii-sports all night. Argh!
While he's not into games at all and I've been ranting to him about the revolution/wii for over a year now, hellup!

I'll be buying my wife a pink DSlite next, there's no play-time for me left anymore since she's into (Brain Training's) Sudoku....grrrr.
Wii Came, Wii Saw And Wii Conquered!

Wii sells out across Europe with 325,000 units sold in two days

13th December 2006 – Wii made its highly anticipated debut across Europe on Friday 8th December, with thousands of people desperate to get their hands on Nintendo’s new console. As the must-have product for the festive season Wii was an instant hit. Attracting vast crowds and selling out in stores all over Europe in just a matter of hours, a breathtaking 325,000 units were sold in the first two days making it the fastest selling home console in history.

Demand for Wii has been so great that shops all over Europe had large queues forming outside for up to three days before the launch and hundreds of shops opened their doors at midnight on launch day to allow gamers to get their hands on Wii. After just one weekend on sale, shops across Europe sold out of Wii consoles and daily shipments are now arriving across Europe to replenish stock.

The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess, proved to be a favourite for avid gamers, with 240,000 copies snapped up over launch weekend in Europe, representing 74% of all hardware purchasers. Wii Play was also a big hit with over 50% of people buying the game (which includes a Wii Remote) along with their Wii console.

Laurent Fischer, Marketing Director for Nintendo Europe commented:
“Wii has become an overnight success in Europe with people of all ages rushing out to get their hands on the console. Even at this early stage it is clear that Wii is delivering on its promise to expand the gaming market, with a uniquely diverse audience all keen to experience the sensation for themselves.
For those who were unable to buy Wii during the launch weekend, rest assured more stock is already on its way and we are doing everything possible to ensure that a steady supply of Wii units is shipped to stores across Europe throughout December and into 2007.”

Commenting on the launch Tim Ellis, Head of Games, HMV UK said: “"The demand for Wii has been truly amazing, and the official launch at our Oxford Street store was one of the biggest events we've ever staged there. HMV has received a huge amount of customer pre-orders - beyond anything we've ever seen before, including from family shoppers as well as dedicated Nintendo gamers. This suggests that while Wii is obviously one of the must-have items this Christmas, it also has the potential to appeal to a huge mainstream audience over the longer-term."

Wii mania in Europe follows the phenomenal success of Nintendo’s console in the Americas and Japan, where over a million units have been sold in just three weeks. In the Americas, where the console launched on the 19th of November, 600,000 consoles were sold in the first 8 days from launch. The Japanese launch saw similar success with around 400,000 units being shipped to stores for launch day and selling out during the first morning on sale. After just a few days of sales in Europe the Wii seems to be achieving similar success.

While Wii enjoyed a hugely successful launch Nintendo DS also had a record-breaking week, with 515,000 units sold across Europe last week, which is not only the highest weeks sales since the console’s launch but also the most any console across all formats has ever sold in a week! Nintendo’s handheld phenomenon has taken Europe by storm since its release in March 2005, with over 8.5 million consoles now sold across Europe.