...while I drink my Mars bar...

Everything else not related to emulation
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

It's rather warm here, too, although less so than over the weekend (which is just as well, seeing as my brain needed to function today, in order for me to finish off an article I was writing).

This thread being bumped did give me the chance to revisit this though:
gordon wrote:1. The fat is literally melting from my body and draining into an old vegetable oil bottle at my feet. I plan to use it to cook my chips this winter.
I'm reading the Super Size Me bloke's book right now, and there's this anecdote from someone who used to work in a cremation facility. He said one day he suddenly felt really peckish and could smell something "tasty". In the end, he discovered that it was some really, really fat bloke, whose fat was melting off him faster than it could be burned up. It smelled, to this guy, identical to how McDonald's smells.

Between a revist of PETA and Spurlock's film/book, we're rapidly heading down the "organic only" and "very little meat" route here (which works rather well in the summer!)
Last edited by CraigGrannell on Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:Image
What he said. :shock:
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

The author of Supersize me is now starring in a series called 30 Days, about working and trying to live on the minimum wage.

Have to do a search for it on eMule when I get my computer working again :)
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Couldn`t sleep due to the heat here as I live in the top of the building with tiles all around (its like a clay oven)

Anyhow this has spurred me on to finishing the inlay for Commodore Horizons :wink:
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Iain wrote:The author of Supersize me is now starring in a series called 30 Days, about working and trying to live on the minimum wage.
Why didn't they ask you, with all your experience? :D :wink:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

gordon wrote:
Mr.Zzapback wrote:Image
What he said. :shock:
If you eat fast food/convenience food a lot, you should all read this book. Seriously. Bit of an eye-opener, really (although often just confirming a lot of what I already suspected). I guess I'm to turn into one of those people who spends ages in the supermarket reading the labels, but then that's a good thing: recently we needed some frozen chicken, and the first type I picked up proudly boasted that the pack was something like 86% chicken. For pieces of chicken. I don't remember what else was in it. I later looked for some chips ("fries" to non-Brits), because they'd stopped doing some really nice low-fat ones. The first pack I looked at had something like 20 ingredients, several of which I had no idea whatsoever what they were. The second had two ingredients: potato and vegetable oil. Guess which one I bought?

It's getting like this all over, but I do wonder why I feel so self-conscious when checking ingredients lists—after all, all the crap put in food isn't good for us, so checking out what's in what we eat and minimising the risks has to be a good thing.
Azhrei
Techno Teaboy

Post by Azhrei »

Iain wrote:My CPU (AMD 2000+) is getting quite hot as well, around 61c, I think it only starts melting around 90c!! :-o
Bloody Palomino cores, eh? I had the exact same chip, and that bastard ran hot. I have a Barton now and it's not the coolest chip I ever had, but certainly cooler than the Palomino.

And it's bloody hot over here, too. It was over 30c and the radio was advising people stay in from eleven am to three pm. Ireland's not meant to be this hot. We just wilt in such heat. Give us temperatures of around 5c and we're happy!
Sub Luna Saltamus
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Agreed, it's been bloody hot here the past couple of days. It's either raining and windy and cold or crazy hot and humid, why can't we have a nice cool 21 degrees with a light wind and low humidity? Is it too much to ask? ;-)