Unemployed IT Professional?

Everything else not related to emulation
Iain
Admin

Unemployed IT Professional?

Post by Iain »

Hi,

Just wondering how many of you guys are unemployed in IT? It's been 18 months since I've last had an IT job and the market doesn't seem much better these days than it did when I started looking after getting made redundant.

What's been your experiences?
Bazza
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Bazza »

I'm lucky I guess (although that depends on how you look at it), I've still got a job, albeit for a small company writing various bits of software.

However, the industry has felt the pinch here in Australia as companies are realising they dont need to spend mega bux on maintaining their bloated systems written by the likes of IBM GSA etc. A lot of companies are looking for leaner cheaper solutions and no longer providing the bottomless pit of money they used to for systems development.

A lot of people are finding it hard to find decent work as the body shops are struggling to drum up big projects these days.

What are you doing with yourself now then, if you're not in IT??

I started in the IT industry directly after I graduated from Uni in '84. I've been in it so long I am sick to death with it so I'm interested to know what you've found to do as an alternative.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

I'm just glad to still have a job at the mo with all the cutbacks :roll:
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Bazza
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Bazza »

Unfortunately the WAVE of large body shops (IBM GSA etc) that took over god knows how many companies IT infrustructure in the outsourcing craze has now backfired as a lot of these companies have been able to easily move their IT requirements from one body shop to another with some of those "other" body shops now being centered in India...

I knew I should have been an Astonomer...at least I would have been resigned to being poor very EARLY in life ;)

Ahh, I dont find IT fun anymore anyway...but I'm still in it...

Actually haven't found it fun since they rolled out Minis and rolled in PCs ;)

A lot of my boredom comes from the fact its not new to me anymore...after nearly 20 years in the industry I think I am suffering from severe BURNOUT!!

Probably a bit like the old home computer days...Those days seemed more FUN to me than today. It was new and fresh. Its not like the games were better to me, because I can't play most of the old stuff without being completely bored fairly quickly. I get more enjoyment out of fondly looking back at those old games than actually playing them ;)

Oh well, at least I can combine my Astronomy interest and my computer hoarde. I am currently converting a web cam for cheap but usable astro photography in preparation for Mars' closest approach for 70,000 years on August 27th...Just wish it wasn't so damned cold outside (Just your typical winter in Melbourne ;) )
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

I'm putting in for voluntary redundancy and looking forward to some time off - I've worked for 3 years and I think it's time for a rest ;-)