Where is Oli Frey's original cover art?

Everything else C64 related
Roger Kean
Techno Teaboy

Where is Oli Frey's original cover art?

Post by Roger Kean »

We're working on a book featuring Oliver Frey's artwork, a great deal of which he still owns. However, several pieces are "missing", having been given away as competition prizes or charity auction items. It would be good to find out who's got them, so we can borrow them for scanning, if not for the first book (due on sale in the spring), then for the second. Info to roger@thalamus-books.com. Thanks!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

First: Welcome Roger! :D

Second: I think Mat (Mayhem) has one of Oli's original pieces. Could be wrong though. He'll jump in this thread as soon as he sees it anyway.

I created a DVD with all my hi-res scans of Oli's Look and Learn stuff, and I've sent it to you last monday. I guess you'll have it today, or tomorrow together with the DEF Tribute.

Succes with the project. (I'll send my comments on the covers later, btw)

Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Roger Kean
Techno Teaboy

Post by Roger Kean »

Thanks Rob. btw the DEF Trib looks great (Wayne at Live sent a bundle through). Loved the additional Rockfords et al and comments which weren't on the pdfs (at least I think I was such a nice ed). Look forward to the comments (had some ((useful)) from Craig).

Roger
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Aha, the man himself arrives on this very forum! Welcome, Roger!
Roger Kean
Techno Teaboy

Post by Roger Kean »

Thank you, Craig. Thought it was about time I upgraded from my Apricot to the real world.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Roger Kean wrote:Thank you, Craig. Thought it was about time I upgraded from my Apricot to the real world.
Hehe. 8)
Yeah, you didn't see that quote coming did you? :wink:
Roger Kean, relaxing in the sun.
Well deserved after spending his best years in front of an Apricot.
:D
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Roger Kean
Techno Teaboy

Post by Roger Kean »

Yeah, you didn't see that quote coming did you?

I didn't know anyone of Zzap reader age knows what an Apricot is (or was). :lol:
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Nice to see you here Roger - It must be nice for you to see that Newsfield mags are still appreciated after all these years?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Roger—I remember a time when there were many fruit-named computers around (along with Acorns and more). As for legacy kit, I do know one comic book illustrator who stuck by his Acorn RISC computer until the bitter end (like when there were about five developers)!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Courtesy of Entirely Off Topic Images Ltd. 8)
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Welcome Roger :)

Sadly no Oli work in my possession (much that I'd love to have some)... only stuff by Bob Wakelin.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Re: Where is Oli Frey's original cover art?

Post by CraigGrannell »

Just noticed this:
Roger Kean wrote:then for the second
Second book? Interesting!
Roger Kean
Techno Teaboy

Post by Roger Kean »

Then for the second…
There are over 140 scans already, mostly between 70 and 140 Mb, and that doesn't cover the total by any means (let alone the ones we lost track of). In addition to FEAR magazine, Oli did tons for Merlin-TOPPS Street Fighter 2 album, Sega Force, SNES Force, et al, and several games inlays and other for 4 3D books published by Carlton in the mid-90s – so no trouble with a second, if anyone wants it.

Roger
gravy
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by gravy »

Thalamus Books?

What a great name for a publisher :D
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Roger Kean wrote:
Then for the second…
There are over 140 scans already, mostly between 70 and 140 Mb, and that doesn't cover the total by any means (let alone the ones we lost track of). In addition to FEAR magazine, Oli did tons for Merlin-TOPPS Street Fighter 2 album, Sega Force, SNES Force, et al, and several games inlays and other for 4 3D books published by Carlton in the mid-90s – so no trouble with a second, if anyone wants it.

Roger
I don't want to sound pedantic (uh-oh 8) ), I have great respect for Oliver's art, but I'd rather opt for one book crammed with all his best, top stuff, than having to buy two books also containing his 'weaker' material.

IMHO Oliver lost a bit of his touch early 90's already showing in Zzap! and Crash but especially in the SNES/SEGA Force publications. As a part of his 'history' -fine, but personally, I wouldn't want to see that stuff ending as a vital part of the book(s) , together with his unforgettable powerful imagery. Not to mention his umm, lesser known material.
I only had one Fear in my posession, so I can't say anything about that.

Having said that, if you can easily fill two books with solely top material, I wouldn't complain either, of course. 8)

Rob