The SEUCK Vault - update February 29th 2008

Everything else C64 related
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

The SEUCK Vault - update February 29th 2008

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

It's almost time for the grand unveiling...

The SEUCK Vault has been in development since September 2003(!)
Frank Gasking and myself have been talking about a SEUCK website since we met at Back in Time Brighton, and we're pleased to tell you that you can access it via

www.seuckvault.co.uk

The site aims to gather unreleased and rare SEUCK games, provide hints and tips on using the Kit and ways to enhance your SEUCK games. There are some games to download, articles to read and useful listings already up.

So if you have SEUCK games (C64 or Amiga), or stories about how you used the Kit, get in touch by e-mail or PM.

webmaster AT seuckvault DOT co DOT uk
Last edited by Professor Brian Strain on Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

Have you been in touch with Jon Wells or Alf Yngve? They were the Sultans of SEUCK on the Zzap!/CF covertape...
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Ian Osborne wrote:Have you been in touch with Jon Wells or Alf Yngve? They were the Sultans of SEUCK on the Zzap!/CF covertape...
Thanks for the suggestion Ian, I will try and get in touch with them.

If you check out the site now there's a page of Shaun Pearson's unfinished games and demos to download.

Oh, and Ian - have a read of this

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.fish ... astar.html

:lol:
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

I've uploaded Ian's review of SEUCK to the site as well...

Ian, can I ask you about something in there?
In the sample games section, you talk about "Blood Bullets" Now I always thought that was one of the AMIGA demonstration games with the original SEUCK, not the C64 re-release.

Unless someone out there has the GBH disk/tape and can provide an emulator copy?
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

I can't honestly remember, but I had no access to the Amiga version at the time, so I couldn't have confused the two.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

OK, thanks for letting me know. A bit of a mystery then...

Jon Wells is now providing some tips and other stuff for the site, there's more games and demos to download, and soon some more unseen stuff (hopefully)...
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

UPDATE:

Jon Wells has done it!

He has created SIDEWAYS SEUCK!

A modification of the Shoot 'Em Up Construction Kit's editor, you can now write horizontally scrolling games with the kit. The scroll currently runs left to right, with a right to left version to follow.

http://www.seuckvault.co.uk
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

[check's it not april....]
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

andy vaisey wrote:YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

[check's it not april....]

Oh, it's real... Jon's wanted to do this for a long time (going back to his unfinished game Breakthrough).
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

I've always been interested in the "full" potential of SEUCK, above and beyond what is already in place. There is a bit of conversation on the OSG website here:

http://oldschool-gaming.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=117
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

Interestingly, someone already did this, and sent it for possible inclusion on a Zzap! covertape. The game involved a flying pig, and side-scrolling was achieved by turning your TV or monitor on its side.

We didn't use it, as the game wasn't quite good enough, despite being original. I did cover it in my 'How to be a Megastar' feature in Commodore Force, though.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Ian Osborne wrote:Interestingly, someone already did this, and sent it for possible inclusion on a Zzap! covertape. The game involved a flying pig, and side-scrolling was achieved by turning your TV or monitor on its side.

We didn't use it, as the game wasn't quite good enough, despite being original. I did cover it in my 'How to be a Megastar' feature in Commodore Force, though.
Yeah, that was Shaun Pearson's "Fly Pig", and he did one or two other games where he "simulated" horizontal scrolling. Alf Yngve also did one or two games where he simulated horizontal scrolling by firing "bullets" sideways across the screen.

But this is REAL horizontal scrolling, in the editor and the game. So your level maps scroll sideways, you add your attack waves on the map as it scrolls sideways... a really cool modification.