Issue 108 - who wants to work on Zzap! #108

Everything else about Zzap
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Time-permitting, I'll do the bulk of the design again (and I now have InDesign 3 as opposed to 1.5, meaning everything regarding alpha channels will be soooo much easier - no more clipping paths - hurrah!)

With regards to the editorial team, if Gordo and Gaz are interested, it would probably make sense to stick with the three of us. I'm not being a big-head or anything, but we did a good job subbing and rewriting last time and could do so again.

And then we could take things from there. One thing I have said is I'd like to get ex-Zzap!64 staff involved more, but I don't know how likely that will be. I reckon Steve J would help out and maybe Mr. Liddon, but then I never heard back from the latter regarding my (now massively delayed) Pixelsurgeon z107 feature. As for Gary Penn - a very nice chap, but he seems waaaay too busy to help out. Again, I never got a response to the questions I sent to him for the Px piece. :(
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

I think we're going to need you, Gaz and Gordo if 108 is ever going to be reality, Craig. That's pretty much a given. And, no, I'm not throwing around idle pleasantries, just stating facts.

I'd love to see some more ex-Zappers come on board, even if it's only for some cameo roles. Hopefully they can spare us some of their precious time.

When the time comes, should 108-related discussions be moved into a more private forum? Just to keep a few surprises secret. :wink:
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Ant wrote:I'd love to see some more ex-Zappers come on board, even if it's only for some cameo roles. Hopefully they can spare us some of their precious time.
Well, I'm almost certain Steve would write something, seeing as he wanted to last time. Gary P was interested, but seeing as he's not yet gotten back to me regarding the QnA, I doubt he'll have time. As for others, Paul G would be a likely candidate again, as would Rob H. I was in touch with Phil K as well, but I've no idea what happened to him (and Markie) after the Paragon buy-out.
When the time comes, should 108-related discussions be moved into a more private forum? Just to keep a few surprises secret. :wink:
Presumably Iain can set up a forum here that's only accessible to specific usernames. I know Chris Abbott has done something similar at C64audio.com using the same PHPBB system.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Yeah that's not a problem, I can set up a forum open just to a select few and once the magazine is done and released I can open the forum to public viewing to see how a mass rambling became a professional magazine! ;-)
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

iain wrote:Yeah that's not a problem, I can set up a forum open just to a select few and once the magazine is done and released I can open the forum to public viewing to see how a mass rambling became a professional magazine! ;-)
You mean we have to produce a professional magazine now? That wasn't part of the deal... *checks contract* :)
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Yeah -- we demand the right to produce a half-baked, second-rate, sub-fanzine-level, badly-spelled, worthless pile of crap! Otherwise we're taking our ball back. ;)

g.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

We have a ball? Sheesh! Why didn't anyone list that among our assets?

Anyway, good to know that the Powers That Be (tm) can go into secret, underground, dastardly scheming when the time comes. Ta, Iain.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Ant wrote:We have a ball? Sheesh! Why didn't anyone list that among our assets?
'Cos it's just for the editorial team. Nyah nyah. :D

*cough*

Anyway, Gordo - I take it you're up for some work on this, should it come to pass. Gaz, too? The question is: are we going to have _another_ change of editor?
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

CraigGrannell wrote:
Ant wrote:Anyway, Gordo - I take it you're up for some work on this, should it come to pass. Gaz, too? The question is: are we going to have _another_ change of editor?
Yep, count me in. Unusually, I'm doing some work at the moment which will take me through to the end of April; but I should be fine after that; and in any case, there's always the evenings. ;)

As for the editor thing, *chews hands* nyargh, erm, maybe. I wonder if Steve wants to be editor. :) Or Gaz said in a previous post he'd be happy to do it. But if neither wants to, I'd be happy to.

g.
Andy Haywood
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Andy Haywood »

So what kind of timescale are we looking at before you decide on the review team? (Andy Haywood, subtle hints a specialty :? )
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Andy Haywood wrote:So what kind of timescale are we looking at before you decide on the review team? (Andy Haywood, subtle hints a specialty :? )
:lol:
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Andy Haywood wrote:So what kind of timescale are we looking at before you decide on the review team? (Andy Haywood, subtle hints a specialty :? )
Don't ask me - I'm not the editor (heh heh)!

As I said before, I imagine at least some (maybe all) of the previous review team will be used - after all, it'd be nice to have some consistency, and I'm sure Ant doesn't want to have to draw another set of heads.
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

I am still alive, still scanning but still alive, I could do a little techie article about underground 64 emulation on the xbox :-) bloody nice it is too, with keyboard and digital arcade stick and the whole gamebase cd set installed mmmmm

Another idea is the pc link 64hd being covered to play the gamebase set easily from a real 64.

Scanner leave me alone aaaaaaaagggggggggh :o

Thump, grr, zzzap. Ps Iain got you xbox working again :lol:
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

CraigGrannell wrote:As I said before, I imagine at least some (maybe all) of the previous review team will be used - after all, it'd be nice to have some consistency, and I'm sure Ant doesn't want to have to draw another set of heads.
I think consistency is great but if a call was made to do a fresh batch of heads I could probably cope given a) enough lead time and b) some good scanned photos of the reviewers. I recall that Andy was pretty keen on getting a new head sketched up (or have you regrown your flowing locks, Andy? :) ). If time became an issue however I'd rather focus on reviewing/articles rather than redoing all the heads.

Anyway, I'll leave it up to the editors. I but live to serve.
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

I love you all.

And to hell with me working 12 hour days on THE GREATEST GBA GAME EVER MADE (tm) - I'm in.

I'll gladly do editor if nobody else wants - strangely enough, I think it will be just the kind of stress relief I need! And, of course, I can't wait to do some reviews of all the hot new C64 games!

Whoo! I'm ready, charged up and hell bent on making Z108 a reality. Looks like the four deadly horsemen of the apocalypse are back!