Issue 108 - Suggestions for a Zzap! Challenge

Everything else about Zzap
gordon
Director

Issue 108 - Suggestions for a Zzap! Challenge

Post by gordon »

Hey all

I've had a couple of ideas for this, both of which involve me writing the Scorelord's piece for a potential Zzap! Challenge (he's mine! no one will take him away from me! ha ha ha ha ha ha! :twisted: ) . But if you have better ideas, or you prefer either option, post it here.

1. A GLOBAL ZZAP! CHALLENGE

This would involve six people or so battling it out for the title of Supreme Zzap! Challenge King (or something equally silly). Preferably we'd have only one person from each country involved (so Paul E Moz, Biggest Jim, and Craig get instant entries, Gaz and Ant would have to battle it out in a prelim, and the UK people would have to fight it out for the last place or places, depending on how many other countries involved.

So how would it work? Basically, there'd have to be NO CHEATING and everyone would play at home, on C64 emulators. You'd get a practise period, followed by three games only in which you would have to achieve your best score. You'd have to take your own photos (preferably humorous) and screenshots, and send them off to me along with some text describing how you achieved your score, which I'd then embellish in the Scorelord's usual dismissive manner.

Advantages:
* The best players get to play in a truly global Zzap! Challenge
* Everyone gets involved

Disadvantages:
* There's no piss up and no party involved, and we basically all sit at home like sad gits
* Somebody, somewhere might be tempted to cheat. No, people, no! You're only cheating yourselves!

2. A UK-BASED CHALLENGE

Which excludes Paul E Moz and the Aussies and anyone further afield than Biggest Jim, who along with Craig might not be able to make it if the dates aren't right. This works like the traditional challenges: everyone meets at a specified location, has a good time, plays one or more games, takes some photos, then writes up the piece.

Advantages:
* People actually get to meet
* It's more fun if you're not a social cripple

Disadvantages:
* Limited to people who can get to the UK at the right time

I prefer the first option, because I'm an antisocial git who's too much of a scaredy cat to go outside; but also because it's global. But, of course, it's up to all of us to decide -- so feel free to add your comments, complete the poll, and make alternative suggestions.

g.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Well the second option is the more fun one, but it does exclude people.

How about a social one with UK people and the top two or so of that round go to battle out other countries over the net?
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

iain wrote:Well the second option is the more fun one, but it does exclude people.

How about a social one with UK people and the top two or so of that round go to battle out other countries over the net?
sounds like a good solution to me.

g.
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Well, what I was going to say was, I prefer the first option purely from a selfish point of view, as it gives me a chance to be in it. However, if the vote came out in favour of the UK based challenge, I wouldn't have any problems with that, coz it would be a good laugh to do that. But Iain's solution sounds like a brilliant idea, plus you get two articles in one!
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

I'd sacrifice a chance to partake in a Global challenge of it meant we'd get to see a few snapshots of the competitors in action as they battle it out together in the UK. For me that was the highlight of the challenge, seeing photos of the Zzap! staff facing off against the fans. Good stuff, indeed! :)

That being said, Iain's idea is great. More organisation will be required though and we'll need more pages for it (or cut down the content).
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

The Zzap challenge!
Isn't it lovely that my 'brilliant' idea's being recycled at the moment.
I was checking for some proof, but hey, nothing on the old rrapboard.
I almost totally forgot that I posted my claim for a INTERNATIONAL ZZAP CHALLENGE for Zzap issue 107 on the Yahoo-zzap-editorial-usergroup-board-thing.
Did anybody archive that? (Gazunta, Graig maybe?)

Anyway: I'M IN!
I'd personally cross 'the canal' swimming for that one! So UK based or worldwide, I'll be there alive & kicking.
Cor! Blimey!

Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

When is the next BIT Live in the UK? That would be a good place to hold it!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

BIT LIVE Brighton
Brighton Centre
Saturday 13th September, 2003

If that's going to be the place we've got to decide pretty quick since booking online for september is now pretty cheap!

Personally, I thought of something a little more private, probably in someone's home, someone who lives quite central for most people?
(and someone who's willing to get his place trashed by crazy zzaperoni's :D )

Or we should get our own private little corner at the BIT4.
But then, I think Gordon may not be too keen to mix with all drunk c64 loonies, you know, being a c64-celeb more or less. But, what am I talking about, that's up to him. :?

I vote for 'decathlon'! :wink:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
SLF
Freelancer

Post by SLF »

iain's idea (a mixture of the starting two if I'm not mistaken) seems to be the right one, although I would add: the world champion should in the end challenge one of the former Zzap! staff members (Paul G? Robin H? Steve J?? Phil K?? Big Ed???), either in the UK if he's from there, or on the net if he's a bit too far.
My top games: 1.Hawkeye, 2.Delta, 3.Creatures 2, 4.Armalyte, 5.Bubble Bobble, 6.Uridium, 7.Ikari Warriors, 8.Bionic Commando, 9.Buggy Boy, 10.Archon.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Or... for the utimate Challenge, and the challenge to end all Zzap challenges..... How about the public winner, takes on..... The ScoreLord!!!!!

(sorry Gordo, looks like you'll have to get out your gimp suit again! ;-) )
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

iain wrote:(sorry Gordo, looks like you'll have to get out your gimp suit again! ;-) )
Hey! Who told you about my gimp suit? :)

g.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

biggestjim wrote:the Yahoo-zzap-editorial-usergroup-board-thing.
Did anybody archive that? (Gazunta, Graig maybe?)
Nope. 'Tis dead and gone.

C
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Em, I think I was thinking about doing it, but don't think I got any further than just thinking about it. 8-)
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

I think I kept a copy of all the old z107 emails...I'll let you know if I find anything.

I'm for the global challenge, if only because it keeps everyone involved. I say we pick three games, have _ONE_ turn at them, and submit the scores. Mr. Lord collates the results and decides the winner. I like the idea of a regional contest beforehand - I'm sure we can organise people from England / Australia / Rest of Europe...
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

I've got all of the Zzap107 correspondence that filtered my way, if that's any help.
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"