Issue 108 - Inspiration?

Everything else about Zzap
Ant
Sub Editor

Issue 108 - Inspiration?

Post by Ant »

Hey, it's still early days and this isn't directly related to Zzap! 108 (at least, not yet ;) ) but I found myself doing a few sketches a while back for my own personal inspiration on our future project.

Here's one ...

Well, umm ... that's about it, really. Move along. :)
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

The cover to _that_ issue, eh? :)
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Well, I never said they were original sketches. :wink:

Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Excellent! Maybe I should add a page to the site,"Zzap inspired Art"?
Videogame Guru
Techno Teaboy

Post by Videogame Guru »

Whoa! They are very good ;) Any chance you could sketch issue 25 for me...I'd love to have an original sketch, to put on my office wall ;)

Respect

George
LDA#$00
STA$D020
Coming to a monitor near you soon - www.c64coder.com

Playing videogames since 1982. Serving the videogames industry since 1986.

LDA#$0E
LDX#$06
LDY#$00
STA$D020
STX$D021
STY$D015
salem
Techno Teaboy

Post by salem »

iain wrote:Excellent! Maybe I should add a page to the site,"Zzap inspired Art"?
And be deluged with very bad drawings of Rockford? (At least, that's what you'd get from me ;))
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Very nice. Don't suppose you could do them in colour and, ooh, about A4 size, leaving some space for straplines and a logo? ;)

g.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Cool sketches Ant.
Still love the drawings you made for us reviewers, niiiiice!

Talking about our future zzap 108 cover:
Is there stuff left that Oli did which wasn't published in Newsfield publications?
We all know Craig did an excellent job for issue 107, and I'm pretty sure that he's going to say that it's not TOO original copying an already used Zzap cover (for issue 108), and personally I would agree on that. (hey, no offence Ant! :wink: )So we (whoever) should come up with something possibly new & absolutely fresh. It should really be an eye opener, and something not too familiar with the general Zzap-reader/c64-aficionado.

At the moment I'm busy too for the upcoming project, I'm drawing some Ken D Fishes (for example my Lemon avatar 8) ) and yes indeed I was also thinking about the cover.
Well, I don't wanna show anything at least until we've isolated ourselves in a workgroup :D .
(Come to think of it, it would be a good idea to create that workgroup somewhere early 2004 and start brainstorming-hey what happened to Gazunta!?)
Oh yeah the cover...err, yes. It's 90% Oli (10% manipulated) the era is 1985-not Zzap. +A4, 300 dpi, CMYK and yes there's space for straplines and the logo :wink: , the subject is multifunctional & actual.
Wouldn't it be cool if the Ed could choose from 4 different covers somewhere in 2004? :)
If that's not inspiring!
Niaagh!
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

re work group, I can create a private forum on here no problems and the message will be archived for the years to come unlike the Yahoo one :(
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

As far as I'm concerned, the cover _has_ to be Oli. The only good Zzap! covers were Oli's - I didn't care for the time where the likes of Robin Smith were doing them.

I'm not aware whether there is any other usable Oli art, especially stuff of a high enough quality (I scanned in the original for 107 - the Rogue Trooper pic - at 600dpi, and the original was in very good condition). Oli certainly didn't ever do anything else for 2000 AD.

I also have an idea for 108. As this is to be the *last* Zzap!64, I was thinking of a montage of previous covers. If done properly (and if I get my copy of InDesign CS), it should look shit-hot.

Trust me. I'm a designer. ;)
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Biggest Jim & Craig: I fully agree with you, gents. 108 needs an Oli cover and, based on something Craig mentioned a while ago, I'm all for a montage of previous covers (including 107, of course).

And I'm glad the lads like these. At least it's an excuse to keep my drawing practice up while I continue to muse over 108!

Oh, and Gaz is still around and has definitely not forgotten 108. However, he is a little busy. Such is the life of a celebrity. ;)

Pop quiz: Without cheating, name the game.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

biggestjim wrote:Cool sketches Ant.
Still love the drawings you made for us reviewers, niiiiice!
Did I ever tell you that this was one of my favourites?

:D
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Pop quiz: Operation Thunderbolt
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
lisawolf
Techno Teaboy

Post by lisawolf »

CraigGrannell wrote: I also have an idea for 108. As this is to be the *last* Zzap!64, I was thinking of a montage of previous covers. If done properly (and if I get my copy of InDesign CS), it should look shit-hot.

Trust me. I'm a designer. ;)
Can I offer a dumb suggestion of some kind of photomontage using those covers and other (probably mostly) Oli art?

Of course that would break the continuity of previous covers.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Well, it's something to bear in mind, definitely.