What now for a classic gamer?

Everything else about Zzap
RichH6109
Freelancer

What now for a classic gamer?

Post by RichH6109 »

So is this it then? Should I be moving on?

N64 and other (IMHO) "recent" consoles are now considered retro gaming (should 8-bit now be considered classic? Vintage?) Traffic on most 8-bit forums has slowed to a halt. Retro Gamer becoming (rightly) more diluted with 16/32-bit nostalgia.

All I know is that any 8-bit article I now read will be a retread of a Bell/Braben interview, maybe something about The Sentinel or Paradroid at a push.

Perhaps I need to re-purchase all the Zzap issues that I sold several years ago.

R.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

It's a bit annoying that newer consoles etc. are becoming retro, but I guess retro is always going to be a generational thing.

Retro to most of us is what we grew up on and nothing will change that, so just ignore the rest.

I did stop buying Retro Gamer a good while ago though, since most of it just wasn't of interest to me.

Rereading the old Zzap's would be a very good start for you! :)
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

I reread Zzap!, Compute! and C&VG to get that retro-vibe back.

(I still buy Retro Gamer though!)
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Re: What now for a classic gamer?

Post by CraigGrannell »

RichH6109 wrote:All I know is that any 8-bit article I now read will be a retread of a Bell/Braben interview, maybe something about The Sentinel or Paradroid at a push.
Amusingly, there is a Braben interview in the current RG, but 8-bit/classic gaming fans can also enjoy Stu's Def Ghosts 'n' Goblins, the making of Xor, the Sam Coupe feature, my six-page piece on Spy vs Spy, the making of Tapper, a spread on The New Zealand Story and Coin-op Capers: Double Dragon...
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

Well, there's always Game Room.... ;)
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

Ant wrote:I reread Zzap!, Compute! and C&VG to get that retro-vibe back.
Thanks for the reminder. I've finally purchased the C&VG DVD from the zzuperstore. One magazine I've always wanted to get around to reading :)
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Iain wrote:Retro to most of us is what we grew up on and nothing will change that, so just ignore the rest.
This is in fact very true in my opinion.

Add in the fact, I still actively draw on the C64 for current productions and I guess that 'feeling' will never go away for me.
Cyril22
Techno Teaboy

Re: What now for a classic gamer?

Post by Cyril22 »

As a technology-based medium, game heroes and villains cannot remain the same. They must constantly evolve, or risk looking “last gen.” That doesn’t mean the new or old designs take precedence, it just means no developer will ever, ever leave its creation alone. Now, with decades of console history to pull from, let’s take a look at the “old” designs and see how they stack up against their modern equivalents.