Sonic on the C64

Everything else about Zzap
Iain
Admin

Sonic on the C64

Post by Iain »

Just doing the Zzapbible v2 for issue 77 when I read this in a feature about upcoming US Gold games by Stuart Wynne:
Considerably further away is Sonic The Hedgehog, an American developed Megadrive game which has come to be Sega's mascot to take on Nintendo's Mario Bros.

Featuring some of the cutest graphics around, it boasts incredible speed which transforms an otherwise fairly standard platforms game into something special.

Sonic will be eagerly awaited on the C64 with US Gold hoping to get a top-notch conversion team lavishing lots of time on this game for release in '92.
What the hell? It wasn't even the April issue! I guess the "management consultant" Stuart was talking to had their info a little wrong as I assume Sonic was always going to be a Sega exclusive.

Anybody know anything different?

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... 77&page=36

(Sonic bit right at the end of the interview on the second page)
andy vaisey
Director

Re: Sonic on the C64

Post by andy vaisey »

Well, we all know how Sonic on the Megadrive/Genesis turned out so that was obviously never going to happen on the C64.

Probably someone getting their wires crossed or talking up something they knew would never happen to get some column inches?

Would make an interesting case for Frank?
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Frank already has a page on this...

http://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/sonic/

From what I know, US Gold were talking to SEGA about the possibility of home computer versions of Sonic, but it never happened.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

andy vaisey wrote:Well, we all know how Sonic on the Megadrive/Genesis turned out so that was obviously never going to happen on the C64.
Well I guess it could have been like the Master System version. A very different game but actually quite enjoyable, I played it a bit on my brother's MS many moons ago after he picked one up cheap.