Issue 108 - Issue 108 suggestions

Everything else about Zzap
lisawolf
Techno Teaboy

Re: Issue 108 suggestions

Post by lisawolf »

CraigGrannell wrote:For what it's worth, I agree regarding page counts. I reckon we'd be hard pressed to get much more than 32 pages, and even if we did, that'll mean a higher print run and no possibility of it going online as a PDF (and bear in mind we got 4,000 downloads, and, what, 150 sales?)
For my own 5c worth (though given that the high res PDF's have been offline for so long what I'm about to say may be moot), would it be an idea to only make low res quality PDF's available on the web? It might encourage more to buy.

Though personally I bought because while I have access to a lovely high quality colour laser printer at work, I wanted the bound issue and I wanted to support all your efforts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Re: Issue 108 suggestions

Post by CraigGrannell »

No, because people will print the lo-res one off anyway, but think our work is shoddy, due to the lower quality. The printed version is going to sell relatively few copies regardless. However, we could do with some proper hosting for a PDF should z108 happen, unlike z107, where we fried three servers.
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

150 copies - is that all?

I think a bigger 'push' next time is in order for 108, how about an ad in the back of EDGE or GamesTM, or is that a worryingly expensive gamble?

If more people knew about it I feel sure they'd buy!!!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

We could probably get free publicity in those mags. As for placing an advert, even if they gave us special rates, it would cost several hundred pounds for a one-page ad, and the printed Zzap!64 was previously done at more-or-less zero profit, so any ads placed would ensure we ourselves made a loss - not good.
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

Actually I was thinking along the lines of the smallest ad possible! Just make the zzapp logo the big thing and point them toward the main website. (in fact you could have just the logo and link!)

I guess the free publicty route makes the most sense. I suppose along the lines of submitting a short feature about the development of 108 to say GamesTM for their retro section?
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Well, in Edge, z107 got about a quarter page, which would still cost a hundred quid as an advert. As for gamesTM... [gnashes teeth]
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

Sorry there's obviously something I've missed there! :wink:

I guess what it comes down to is that you had the money you could get ads and exposure etc. which'd then mean more (or should I say some) paying adverts for z108 as retro shops know it's due to get the readership - so a sort of catch 22.

I suppose really my problem is I tend to think of things like this a business problem and lose sight that it's supposed to be for fun! :)
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

We had enough trouble getting three adverts for z107, and they were for free. I very much doubt anyone will pay for an advert in z108. I also want to avoid whacking a great big "sponsor" banner on the cover (although the printers should probably get a bigger mention this time!)

As for exposure, I think the same sort of thing in Edge would be plenty; also, things will be more organised this time with regards to the print run (well, assuming z108 happens at all, and there's no guarantee it will).
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

The ads in 107 were free? :shock:

Don't worry I'm sure I can help in lining up at least a couple of paying ads - I'd agree on a 'clean' front cover requirement though, ads there would really cheapen it.

I take it the printers were pretty good about things? (actually I don't recall reading who they were!)
frank_gasking
Techno Teaboy

Post by frank_gasking »

I dunno if its been suggested here, but I can always write a "Games That Weren't" feature if wanted?

Another idea I think might be cool is a Musician's Ball 2, where the original guy's from the first MB feature get back together for 2005 and discuss the old days and their music... maybe that could be done in a chat room this time :)

Anyway... if there is anything I can help with, then i'd love to :)...
GTW - Games That Weren't 64
Searching for the lost games of the Commodore 64..

http://cs.c64.org