The Def Guide to Zzap!64

The Zzap Rrap

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:54 am 
Offline
King of Zzap Towers
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:22 pm
Posts: 704
Location: Skegness, UK
jcompton wrote:
Well, okay, if the thrust is that "it'll always be so cheap, no established professionals will do it," that's when you go to the amateurs, who will be excited to make pizza money for the chance to see their name in print. Of which there are many many. (Which, from some of the posts I've read on the Survival forum, appears to be what RG largely did anyway.)

Either way you slice it, there are lots of people who can do this sort of work. With achingly beautiful prose? No, not all of them. But "finding people to write content" has never really been a top challenge for technology magazines.


Again, I think you are missing the point.

I could write a Gameboy history article in half an hour, research it by reading Wikipedia, add a list of obvious games, and churn out another article on the same theme half an hour later...

...but I wouldn't want people to read it in that state. Even my "quickest" article for RG took 3 weeks from commission to the final submission (which was then badly edited, but we won't go into that now...)

RG didn't use "amateurs", as Lee pointed out. And this discussion has kinda hijacked the point of this thread....


SOOOOOO


BACK ON TOPIC...


We've got a core of great people here, those involved in ZZAP! 107 and the Def Tribute. Get all those people involved in 108, and boom. Another killer release. As for timescale... when we're ready to do it.

_________________
http://c64goldenyears.com
http://blog.myspace.com/merman1974
http://members.lycos.co.uk/merman64

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:08 pm 
Offline
Freelancer

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:22 pm
Posts: 63
Professor Brian Strain wrote:
...but I wouldn't want people to read it in that state. Even my "quickest" article for RG took 3 weeks from commission to the final submission (which was then badly edited, but we won't go into that now...)


three weeks! flippin eck you're not going to get rich at that pace.

Have to admit at the risk of pulling this thread off topic again I think that JCrompton does have a point. Writing articles for games mags isn't difficult. Hell you're all posting in a forum that's dedicated to a magazine published by a company that made a point of using so called amateurs to write its copy. Don't kid yourself if someone wanted to do an RG clone it would be easy

back on topic - personally 108, don't see the point. Def Tribute was a fitting end. I don't see that 108 would bring anything new to that table.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:56 pm 
Offline
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:19 am
Posts: 460
Location: United Kingdom, Hartlepool
Quote:
Have to admit at the risk of pulling this thread off topic again I think that JCrompton does have a point. Writing articles for games mags isn't difficult. Hell you're all posting in a forum that's dedicated to a magazine published by a company that made a point of using so called amateurs to write its copy. Don't kid yourself if someone wanted to do an RG clone it would be easy

But didn't Roger, Ciaran, Barnaby & co have to re-write a lot of the copy?
Quote:
back on topic - personally 108, don't see the point. Def Tribute was a fitting end. I don't see that 108 would bring anything new to that table.

....unless you contribute a 'Life at Newsfield' article, SLA! :)

_________________
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:36 am 
Offline
King of Zzap Towers
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:45 pm
Posts: 605
Location: UK
LeeT wrote:
But didn't Roger, Ciaran, Barnaby & co have to re-write a lot of the copy?

I guess SLA's point is that you could get a bunch of amateurs to supply content and then have an editor "tidy" (read: rewrite) it, which, frankly, is precisely what's wrong with a massive chunk of the magazine industry today, but there you go.

_________________
http://www.craiggrannell.com | http://www.projectnoise.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:32 am 
Offline
Freelancer

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:22 pm
Posts: 63
CraigGrannell wrote:
LeeT wrote:
But didn't Roger, Ciaran, Barnaby & co have to re-write a lot of the copy?

I guess SLA's point is that you could get a bunch of amateurs to supply content and then have an editor "tidy" (read: rewrite) it, which, frankly, is precisely what's wrong with a massive chunk of the magazine industry today, but there you go.


Yes they did rewrite a lot of some peoples copy. My point is that if a publisher had an appetite for a Retro mag getting writers wouldn't be a problem. I understand some of Live's freelancers may have got burned with them going pop but to a certain extent that is part and parcel of being a freelancer (and that's freelance anything - just this morning got a letter from one of my clients that owes me money advising that they are technically insolvent but are prepared to pay 35p in the pound).

I'm not sure if Craig's comment is aimed at the computer games magazine industry or the magazine industry as a whole. In terms of computer games mags don't really read em so can't comment. Gardners World magazine I quite enjoy (sadly true).

Back to Lee's comment about writing an inside Newsfield article for 108; I think enough of those have already been done. What you don't want to do with 108 is rehash what's already been done. 107 and Def I think managed to recapture some of the spirit of the glory years. As you produce more zzap material I think that there is a real danger that it turns into some fanboy thing


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:19 am 
Offline
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:19 am
Posts: 460
Location: United Kingdom, Hartlepool
Quote:
Gardners World magazine I quite enjoy (sadly true).


Go on, admit it. You are....Lloyd!

:shock:

_________________
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:14 am 
Offline
King of Zzap Towers
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:45 pm
Posts: 605
Location: UK
So Long Ago wrote:
I understand some of Live's freelancers may have got burned with them going pop but to a certain extent that is part and parcel of being a freelancer

That's definitely the case. When a certain mag folded a few months back, that took with it £870 per month of my rolling commissions (which, as I understand it, would have been about 18 pages of copy in Retro Gamer). It wasn't fun, but, hey, shit happens.

Quote:
I'm not sure if Craig's comment is aimed at the computer games magazine industry or the magazine industry as a whole.

The magazine industry at the moment is in a very weird place. Some editors (and, thankfully, many of those I work with) have realised that the way to keep people buying magazines is to offer unique content that you can't get anywhere else, written by professionals who know their stuff. This enables the editor to get on with other tasks (seeing as most editors these days do a shit-load of admin and budget stuff, too). However, many magazines (those I was referring to—and this is particularly true in certain industries, including gaming) dumb everything down, cover the most obvious stuff (see the old news/reviews/tips staple in most mags, despite features being the thing people actually get stuck into) get in the cheapest writers possible, and then take whatever they spew out and smash it into shape.

Quote:
Back to Lee's comment about writing an inside Newsfield article for 108; I think enough of those have already been done. What you don't want to do with 108 is rehash what's already been done. 107 and Def I think managed to recapture some of the spirit of the glory years. As you produce more zzap material I think that there is a real danger that it turns into some fanboy thing

My thoughts exactly. I think Roger's fairly candid piece for Rob's Def Tribute was enough as far as Newsfield goes. As for rehashes, that's what I want to avoid, hence me saying it's highly unlikely I'll work on another Zzap! That doesn't stop anyone else creating 108, of course, but I think energies would perhaps be better given to something new.

_________________
http://www.craiggrannell.com | http://www.projectnoise.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:28 am 
Offline
Staffer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:23 am
Posts: 146
Location: Near Newcastle, England
Personally I agree, I think that 107 and the Def Guide were fitting end-chapters to ZZAP!. Mind you, if anyone ever did decide a 108 was a necessity, I'd definitely love to be involved again. But I'd be equally happy to see it end as it did, because I think we all accomplished some quite remarkable things.

Unless, of course, someone out there wants to re-establish ZZAP! as a commercial concern. I'd love to see the name appearing regularly on shelves again (and I know that's not going to happen, before anyone says anything!). I do think that people would love to see multi-comment reviews again, although being out of England for over five years now, I'm probably massively out of touch with the country as a whole! :lol:

_________________
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:13 pm 
Offline
Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:15 pm
Posts: 408
Location: Cymru
PaulEMoz wrote:
I do think that people would love to see multi-comment reviews again, although being out of England for over five years now, I'm probably massively out of touch with the country as a whole! :lol:

There is a whole generation that would love to see it's return, i.e. us.

There is a whole new generation that would benefit from it's return, as well as benefit from more honest, accurate comments and reviews that reflect gameplay and not reviews raving about GFX...

I guess what I'm saying is do Issue 108... 8) :wink:

_________________
Compilation64 | Cosine
Arkanix Labs


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:45 am 
Offline
Techno Teaboy

Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:37 am
Posts: 6
Yeah i'd like to see issue 108 as well! I recently won a C64 on Ebay, the first C64 i've owned since i sold my original one back in 1990. Not sure where else to ask this. I wouldn't mind buying issue 107 if it is at all available. Thanks :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:43 pm 
Offline
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:15 pm
Posts: 408
Location: in that tree, over there
Well, you can still download it here: http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzap107/zzap107misc.html

:)

_________________
The Burrow


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:35 pm 
Offline
King of Ludlow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 1137
Location: Ludlow
gordon wrote:
Well, you can still download it here: http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzap107/zzap107misc.html

:)


Yup. And while you're at it, download this one as well... :D

_________________
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:37 pm 
Offline
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:15 pm
Posts: 408
Location: in that tree, over there
...and it's a corker! ;)

_________________
The Burrow


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:59 am 
Offline
Techno Teaboy

Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:37 am
Posts: 6
Thanks both :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:49 pm 
Offline
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:15 pm
Posts: 408
Location: in that tree, over there
Does anybody know where I can get some World of Warcraft power levelling? I'm feeling the urge, for some inexplicable reason.

_________________
The Burrow


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group