Terminal Man part 2

Everything else about Zzap
Holywhippet
Techno Teaboy

Terminal Man part 2

Post by Holywhippet »

I bought the DVD compilation of all the ZZAP! magazine scans and have been going through them. I read through the first Terminal Man series and a few issues later they started up a second series. That only ran for a few issues and then suddenly stopped. I've looked at a few magazines past that point and it hasn't resumed. I browsed the magazine it last appeared in and the one after but couldn't see any explanation as to why it stopped although I didn't search thoroughly.

Any ideas?
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hi, and welcome btw.
Oliver Frey got a little too busy doing covers for all the mags plus the additional artwork for all Newsfield titles, so the Terminal Man part II stopped.
It's funny that Oli mentioned the Terminal Man in the recent(ish) Games ™ interview, but he didn't talk about what happened to the series.
Maybe he even finished it, but it never got published?
Although I personally think it wasn't finished.

I have to say I wasn't particularly blown away by the story either, nor by the images.
I think Oli's strong point is telling a story with a single powerful image. His comicbook story telling/drawing style is not outstanding, IMHO.
Same thing with his Dan Dare/Trigan Empire work.

I'm looking forward to his book (next spring) maybe something is revealed about the Terminal Man II...? :)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

I remember at the bottom of the first issue it was missed in something about them not having time, but Terminal Man will be beack next month. It never was.

Going to sound very critical here, but it just did'nt have the same feeling as the first one and some people thought having a comic strip in a computer mag was a bit naff. I personally didnt mind and thought the first one was pretty good, but I could just tell the second one was'nt going to be great ( like most sequels ) would be nice to know how it ended, but they had a great ending with the first one and really should'nt have brought it back
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I disagree: I thought Frey's Terminal Man art was very good, although it was hindered slightly by clunky dialogue. However, it would be easy enough to tighten up the script for a "Terminal Man redux", which would fit very nicely in the Oli Frey book, or in a publication such as the Judge Dredd Megazine (in its "beyond 2000 AD" reprint section). Shame neither of those is likely to happen.
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

The artwork in the first Terminal Man was indeed good, but the second had that rushed look to it if you ask me
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./
Holywhippet
Techno Teaboy

Post by Holywhippet »

Well, I just would have liked to see how it ended. Getting halfway through a story that I'm interested in and having it end is a bit depressing.