Zap! returns?

Everything else about Zzap
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Zap! returns?

Post by Ian Osborne »

Who would've believed it? It seems Future is launching a magazine called Zap!...

And here's its mascot

Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

ZAP! is aimed at boys aged 7-13 years old and will cover all gaming formats, as well as TV, films, sport and toys.
They'll be reviewing Jeff Minter's 'Unity' for the DS in their first issue, slagging it off. Minter complains about the magazine "clearly written by 12 year olds, for 7 to 13 olds". 8) :wink:

This is insane.
And obviously a 'winky winky' to good old ZZAP!, grrr!
Roger, Oli help us!!! :roll:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Can someone post the full story as it seems that the link is only for people in the industry?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

PRESS RELEASE

Two new titles continue growth of burgeoning Future Kids imprint

Official magazine for rebirth of children's TV legend and new games title for pre-teen boys

28/07/05 – Future Entertainment has taken the wraps off its latest magazines, two new children's titles, set to hit newsstands later this year. The growing Future Kids imprint will publish ZAP! – a videogames title for pre-teen boys and Muffin the Mule Magazine, an official title which marks the return of the classic children's TV star in an all-new cartoon series.

ZAP! is aimed at boys aged 7-13 years old and will cover all gaming formats, as well as TV, films, sport and toys. Readers will be immersed in the all-new world of Zapboy, a superhero in training and his robot guides. Appearing throughout ZAP!, the exciting, originally-created characters will review the latest games, as well as offering cheats, tips and solutions for bestselling titles ZAP! also features puzzles, drawing guides and exclusive comic strips – starring the magazine cast and occasional "special guests" from the world of videogames.

Launching on Thursday, November 3rd with a coverprice of £1.99, the content of ZAP! promises to be cool for kids and safe for parents - only featuring games suitable for its young audience and not covering any titles subject to a BBFC 15 rating or above. Published every three weeks, each issue of the magazine will also feature a high quality covermounted gift.

Future Kids launches Muffin the Mule Magazine on Thursday October 27th. Licensed from Peak Entertainment, the official magazine launches as the classic BBC children's character returns to TV screens, reborn in a new series of 26 episodes, each 10 minutes long, showing on both BBC One and the digital channel, CBeebies. As the BBC promotional machine gears up to boost Muffin's profile and celebrate his 60th anniversary in 2006, Muffin the Mule Magazine will be on sale every three weeks. The magazine takes a fun and educational approach to activities and puzzles that young children will enjoy with their parents, whilst continuing Muffin's adventures in a series of comic strips and stories. Aimed at 2-5 years olds, with a coverprice of £1.75, Muffin the Mule Magazine also marks Future's first entry into the pre-school market.

Editor Cavan Scott said:

"With Muffin the Mule once again set to be a TV favourite of a whole new generation of children we are delighted to be working with Peak Entertainment on this official title. Muffin was the first ever character created by the BBC and both the new TV show and magazine will follow in the BBC's tradition of quality, family entertainment. Through the adventures of Muffin children will be able to learn the importance of working together, a message that is as important today as it was 60 years ago.

"Alongside securing suitable licenses in Muffin and our existing Future Kids magazine, Jetix Magazine we have been investing in the creation of our own original characters and brands for younger people. ZAP! is the first example of Future letting these characters loose in an exciting magazine which enables us to capitalise on our longstanding relationships with the games industry. ZAP! is designed specifically for the growing numbers of pre-teen gamers and will only feature games suitable for this audience, making ZAP! an attractive purchase for parents and ideal for publishers launching games aimed at kids."

Publisher Kerry Lawrence said:

"These new launches continue the planned growth of our Future Kids imprint. When we successfully launched Jetix Magazine last year we announced our plan to step up our search for suitable licenses that would excite a younger audience and work on our own original brands for young people. This successful strategy will continue and we look forward to announcing further launches in 2006."

ENDS

About Future
Future plc was founded in the UK in 1985. Today, it publishes over 150 special-interest consumer magazines worldwide with strong portfolios in the computing, games, music, automotive, sports, crafts and leisure sectors. It is the fifth largest magazine publisher in the UK. Future employs 1,450 people in offices in the UK, US, France and Italy. Over 100 international editions of Future's magazines are also published under licence in 30 other countries across the world. The company is listed on the London Stock Exchange (symbol FUTR).

For more information:
Will Guyatt, Media Relations Manager, 01225 822517.

About Peak Entertainment Holdings Inc
Peak Entertainment Holdings Inc. is a fully integrated multimedia company dedicated to quality children's television entertainment, character licensing and consumer products. The company's unique, fully-integrated business model, which includes concept creation and branding, production of entertainment programs, character licensing, and manufacturing and distribution of toys and related consumer products, gives it maximum quality control and speed-to-market while developing total brand equity. Peak's properties include Monster Quest, The Wumblers, Little Big Feet, Countin' Sheep, and Snailsbury's Tails. The Company has established itself in the United States equity markets through a listing on the Over-The-Counter (OTC) market and trades under the symbol PKEH.
mascot: (booo! Beat him up, Rockford! :wink: )

Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Oh dear! Aimed at 7-12 year olds? Definitely one to avoid and how dare they call a magazine the same sounding name as the great Zzap!

We'd better send around Bash the Barbarian and Chuck Vomit to sort them out!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Hmmm... That name is a little too close for comfort, but there you go. I wonder who owns the rights to the Zzap! name these days.
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

CraigGrannell wrote:Hmmm... That name is a little too close for comfort, but there you go. I wonder who owns the rights to the Zzap! name these days.
Nobody. If a trademark is abandoned, ie. not commercially exploited for a length of time, it becomes available for use. That's why the masthead in Commodore Force always said 'Incorporating Zzap! 64' or something similar, even though we were told not to acknowledge the mag's pre-CF#1 existence in any way, shape or form.

And sorry LeeT - I have my Mac set to log into GamesPress automatically, and I forgot non-industry peeps wouldn't be able to follow the link :(
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Hmmm... Kill! Kill! Gaming, incorporating Zzap!64, Crash, The Games Machine, Amiga Power, RAZE, ACE, PCG, Arcade, and big jugs monthly. Or something.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

CraigGrannell wrote:I wonder who owns the rights to the Zzap! name these days.
I do. But I've only applied it to my exclusive range of home-made pasties and pork pies, so there's no commercial conflict there.

Zzapasties!
Zzapork!

etc.

Anyhoo, at least future will be spelling Zap! the correct way -- it's been bugging me for years that Newsfield put two Zs in there.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Thanks for the quote Rob :)

That comic won't last very long, mark my words! :wink:
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Well, it's a nice idea, but there are some very strange things in the release, including "published every three weeks". Every three weeks? That's just crazy talk, man.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

I think there's some smart 'marketing plan' behind the whole idea, like:

Zzap! readers were +/- 15 when they started buying the mag, so: born around 1970. In 2005 they are +/35, lots of 'm dads with kids between 5-12 year old. Those dads with their gaming background support their kids in the new gaming era, and when a new mag directed at their kids age called Zap! pops up, they instantly flash back to their own roots, getting their kids a copy/subscription.

The idea itself is good, I wouldn't want my kids to read Games ™ or Edge, with all the mega violent games/ads in it. But then, I'm not from this world. :wink:

Other question, I know Oliver has the copyrights to the Zzap! and Crash logos, Roger and him came up with those titles, isn't it a sort of intellectual property or something? ZAP! (by Future) is just too close, and everybody thinks about the original Zzap!.

Would we get in trouble releasing another Zzap! (in the future) when there's another commercial title running with (sort of) the same name?

I'll inform Roger about this (I he doesn't know already, to see their point of view).
cav
Techno Teaboy

Post by cav »

LeeT wrote:Thanks for the quote Rob :)

Ooooh, I'm not so sure... :wink:
Editor of Zap! ;-)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

cav wrote:
LeeT wrote:Thanks for the quote Rob :)

Ooooh, I'm not so sure... :wink:
Aha!
So, mr. editor, what's behind all this?
I'm sure there's a strategy behind 'Zap', please tell us about it.
And who (for crying out loud) came up with the name!? :wink:
cav
Techno Teaboy

Post by cav »

Ah all will be revealed on November 3rd but rest assured that it's going to be cool for kids.

As for the name, that's our art editor who first came up with the name and yes, we've checked all the legal stuff out and no, we're not just ripping off Zzap64. I wouldn't dare!

;-)

C
Editor of Zap! ;-)