Zzap!64 it's over, eh?

Everything else about Zzap
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

I can only see Zzap staying popular with the people who read it originally.

Obviously may always get someone new involved via this website who thinks ' hey, I'll take a look at this mag '

But I think it is something of it's time, I dont think it has universal appeal to new and old - just us saddo's in the 25-45 bracket proberly who are deperately trying to cling on to our youth.

In twenty years time, todays teenagers will be looking back fondly to the PS2 and XBOX, I still think we will be populating this forum!
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Worldwide crash and all that, and what's left of this place is about as much as my Icelandic bank account at the mo'.

Dr. Black, is it worth reanimating, shock therapy then? No? Right.

:cry:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Now, it's not all doom and gloom. I actually did a bit of work on the site a couple of weeks ago. A new way of displaying the scans, which is more straightforward (no cookie messing) and more secure. I still have to complete that and redoing the frontend scan pages is still a plan... but yeah I don't think we'll see too many new Zzap fans. Why would we? The magazine won't mean anything to them along with the C64. But there'll be enough of us around for a few years anyway! :) I'll set up a trust fund or something to keep the site going after I'm gone! :-D
retronut
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by retronut »

i think its true that the kids today like there ps2 and x boxes im sure you get a few that like the old games.but like the other post on here i think most of the ones who like zzap and the 64 are in the the 25-40 range.its a shame as i loved the time when these machines were the one to have saveing up your money to buy zzap or games.raceing home with tape so you could play it.it always seem to take ages for the game to load.never mind good old days
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Actually, that's a good point - do you think we invested more time in games because they took longer to load?

(Although, with this generation of consoles there seems to be some very long loading times. That's partly why I like the Wii and its quick access)
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

My P.c has taken 2 weeks to load as it had a hd and mb failure, knocking me back a months worth of scans (Amiga Computing ho hum :roll: )

The risk was far less with a tape game :lol:
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

The things I've done to get a game loaded!
Please do not remind me. :shock:

argh! too late...
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Not the turning the tape player upside down, holding a stick of celery and chanting load you bugger whilst pressing the tape down :wink:
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Trying to load Rock 'n Wrestle once, I had to hold the PLAY key down until the game loaded...
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:Trying to load Rock 'n Wrestle once, I had to hold the PLAY key down until the game loaded...
That was adjusting the head alignment by virtue of applying extra pressure causing the heads to move closer to the tape, no?
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

andy vaisey wrote:
Professor Brian Strain wrote:Trying to load Rock 'n Wrestle once, I had to hold the PLAY key down until the game loaded...
That was adjusting the head alignment by virtue of applying extra pressure causing the heads to move closer to the tape, no?
Thing is though - it did work - or loading the game with the data-cassette upside down
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./
retronut
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by retronut »

i know on my tape player some games you had to hold the play down as it keep stoping on its own. to me the games that played up were the ones with the color bars on the screen as it was loading and got to the end of the tape then the tape stoped but no game loaded.
debit

Re: Zzap!64 it's over, eh?

Post by debit »

Reading this thread from the beginning for the first time tonight. Quite funny to read the posts from 2006 about how hard it was to track down people. These days, as Sam Dyer's book and other projects show, it's a lot easier and we've got some great projects out of it (my own website, the Commodore Format Archive - http://www.commodoreformatarchive.com - has tracked down most people just via FB and LinkedIn. Social media's just made it all so much more straightforward and I looking back at these posts it's easy to see we've taken it for granted so quickly!)

Anyway, for what it's worth now I remember seeing that Retro Gamer issue with the ZZAP! supplement on the stands in WH Smith and nearly falling over at the sight of the logo in a shop after all those years. Through it, I found this website (and ish 107) and rekindled my love of the Commodore.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

debit wrote: Anyway, for what it's worth now I remember seeing that Retro Gamer issue with the ZZAP! supplement on the stands in WH Smith and nearly falling over at the sight of the logo in a shop after all those years. Through it, I found this website (and ish 107) and rekindled my love of the Commodore.
That's great to hear! So you had no idea that the supplement was coming out? Were you even looking for Retro Gamer or did you just notice the Zzap logo when browsing the shelves? I can imagine the shock of seeing the logo if it was totally unexpected. :-D

Fantastic that it led to your more recent retro work, even if it was for the competition! ;-)
debit

Post by debit »

Hey Iain,

No, absolutely wasn't looking for Retro Gamer and didn't know the ZZAP! thing was coming *at all*. It was a proper movie style double take at the shelf! I was totally career minded post uni and it was pre the days of everyone having the internet at home or on a phone of course, so I had no idea. Even *these* memories are getting blurred and retro now - what year did you start the site Iain?

I was one of the younger C64 fans, much like Frank Gasking (this is my C64/CF story on the site: http://commodoreformat.wordpress.com/my-cf-the-kid-who/), so missed out on the days of ZZAP being brilliant but I still used to get it most months.

I was still very passive for a long time, I just enjoyed the nostalgia of your brilliant site and others. It was the excellent and fascinating contributions from old writers that grabbed me, the behind the scenes stuff and that was the starting point for my own site, for sure. To tell people stuff they wouldn't know from buying the mag.

I was simply too career obsessed to have space for anything else for a very long time, but after I changed my life, moved overseas, got married etc I got back into games properly in 2010. I bought a PS3. I also embraced the games I loved as a kid again. Recently, I bought a C64 and disk drive. Gap in my game playing years of about 15 years I guess! :)

C64 for frickin' ever!