Coming soon! The DEF tribute to Zzap! July 2005

Discussion of the Zzap special by Mr. ZzapBack

Moderator: Lloyd Mangram

Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

iain wrote:Yeap and I think Mr. Zzapback better go on holiday for a couple of weeks after it!

Then we'll give him the job of doing Zzap issue 108! :-D
Aww please! :shock:
I'll *gladly* leave that to others, I almost cannot see that logo anymore! Burp! :D
Maybe I'll dump issue 1-50 on eBay after this one, with a little luck it could pay me a worldtrip for the whole family! :wink:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

I leave for E3 on the 15th...

Please, please please let this be ready in time so I can read this on the looooong plane trip and not have to make small talk with people sitting next to me...then I can play Wizball at 30,000 feet, and be happy.

Please :)
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:(hopefully) proofreading (brace yourself Craig -if possible
If you need some stuff proofed, I may have some spare time next week.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

As said, I'm sure most of us are okay for proof reading as well :)

Got a good eye for picking out random spelling faults for starters :P :lol:
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Yeah, I'm still up for a spot of proof reading. :)
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Bad news. I'm ill! :(
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Oh dear :) Nothing too serous I hope? The flu or something?

Have you not got a laptop to work from your bed? ;-)

Get well soon anyway!!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Yeah the flu.
I was hallucinating while I continued working (of course) on the DEF Tribute, which was cool. Haven't looked at the result yet.
Could be some seriously trippy stuff. 8)
elminster
Techno Teaboy

1 Quid is cheap by todays standards

Post by elminster »

CraigGrannell wrote:Personally, I'd be tempted to change the strap of the 108 forum to something other than "Will it happen, will it not? Ideas etc."—perhaps "Currently on hold". At the moment, it looks like it's been locked for no real reason. I'd also create an entirely new thread at the top of the forum, explaining why the forum has been locked.

Rob—one minor thing about your cover: maybe it would be better priced as per z107 at £0?

I'd pay 1 quid (can't do a pound sign fellas - Arsetraylian Keybored with upside down letters, damn hard to get used to). Have to turn my monitor upside down to get the words the right way up too, and then they're all backwards so I have to set up a mirror and look at the screen that way. 8-)

Can you airmail it, or will this be available in PDF as well (The Def guide that is)? The funding from selling it for a quid could help pay for Issue 108
elminster
Techno Teaboy

715 Posts & its Neck and Neck

Post by elminster »

I noticed that Mr.Zzapback and Iain both have 715 posts, is this just an amazing coincidence or some little quiet competiton you have going on the side to try and out mail each other.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Re: 715 Posts & its Neck and Neck

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

elminster wrote:I noticed that Mr.Zzapback and Iain both have 715 posts, is this just an amazing coincidence or some little quiet competiton you have going on the side to try and out mail each other.
Shhhh! 8)

Leading again, yessss! :twisted:
:wink:
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Re: 1 Quid is cheap by todays standards

Post by CraigGrannell »

elminster wrote:I'd pay 1 quid (can't do a pound sign fellas - Arsetraylian Keybored with upside down letters, damn hard to get used to).
The £0 thing on z107 was just a joke, though, and done when the issue was designed to be a PDF-only thing. Then again, whopping £10 on the front (or whatever the mag ended up costing in print) would have made people's eyes pop out on stalks!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

CraigGrannell wrote:
elminster wrote:I'd pay 1 quid (can't do a pound sign fellas - Arsetraylian Keybored with upside down letters, damn hard to get used to).
The £0 thing on z107 was just a joke, though, and done when the issue was designed to be a PDF-only thing. Then again, whopping £10 on the front (or whatever the mag ended up costing in print) would have made people's eyes pop out on stalks!
Heheh.
I'm gonna sell the printed (64 pages) DEF tribute as well for a tenner, on and off-line. Not that I'm going to put that price on the front cover indeed! :) I'm not making money on it I hasten to add, it's S&H included, and don't forget it's 16x full colour double sided A3 format, you won't get it any cheaper at your local printshop, I guess.
Btw, Retro Gamer costs 6 pounds, so I guess it's not *very* expensive for such a limited edition print run.
elminster
Techno Teaboy

Post by elminster »

CraigGrannell wrote:Then again, whopping £10 on the front (or whatever the mag ended up costing in print) would have made people's eyes pop out on stalks!
I can imagine, trying to do something like this privately would be tough, as a one off occaisional thing its great. The magazine could probably survive longer electronically though, it would be more sustainable and you only have to produce 1, publish it online and subsribers could pay a small fee to view the latest edition. Good revenue raiser for the site, even at 1 quid.

I'm sure enthusiasts would dig that. When the issue was old enough you could downgrade it to free. Could create a sustainable future.

There's no need to print it to sell it, alhough it is nostalgic to do so, the C64 has an amazing ability to defy time, see my other post on C64 for Nokia N-Gage.
Certainly the most succesful home computer of all time. Brought another tear to the eye when Commodore themselves bit the dust, and I was forced to by a 486. Glad to see the Amiga is still around too though, and deservedly so, I would love to get my hands on the latest Amiga, would make a great compo prize. PCs of the time were no match for it.

I think you've all done an admirable job with 107 and this website. Brought a tear to my eye when zzap left the shelves, brought another one when I discovered this site. And another one now as I type. Much of my childhood is here!! I'd pay 10 quid for a copy as well (Hell thats only $30 Australian) I just bought a Sinclair Spectrum plus 2 for that only.

The average Magazine now (eg PC Format) costs about $15 when it gets here, more for an Import. I reckon $30 would be affordable a cuppla times a year. The trouble is material for the mag (as I noticed from the 108 forums). A Zzap! Album (a bit like Beano and Dandy - Hardback once a year) could work. Retro remakes could be the way to go too... but I digress!!

Have fun :wink:
Elminster
The real Mage of Shadowdale!
(Alias Since 1989 - Christened on the Cafe Chrome BBS - In the Age of the Amiga... Beware of Imposters)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Of course the final pdf (lo-res 8/9 mb and hi-res 40mb) will be available for download, totally free! Somewhere this month! No, really. :)