Coming soon! The DEF tribute to Zzap! July 2005

Discussion of the Zzap special by Mr. ZzapBack

Moderator: Lloyd Mangram

elminster
Techno Teaboy

Re: 1 Quid is cheap by todays standards

Post by elminster »

Mr.Zzapback wrote: Retro Gamer costs 6 pounds, so I guess it's not *very* expensive for such a limited edition print run.
It sure isn't I'd say its pretty well up with teh cost of living, arise from 1 pound... to 10 in 20 years is pretty good value.

Sign me up for a copy. I want the first one in Australia
Elminster
The real Mage of Shadowdale!
(Alias Since 1989 - Christened on the Cafe Chrome BBS - In the Age of the Amiga... Beware of Imposters)
elminster
Techno Teaboy

Re: 715 Posts & its Neck and Neck

Post by elminster »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:
elminster wrote:I noticed that Mr.Zzapback and Iain both have 715 posts, is this just an amazing coincidence or some little quiet competiton you have going on the side to try and out mail each other.
Shhhh! 8)

<grin> unil Iain Logs on :lol: Heheh the website probably alerts him whenever you post to a forum :twisted:

Leading again, yessss! :twisted:
:wink:
Elminster
(Alias Since 1989 - Christened on the Cafe Chrome BBS - In the Age of the Amiga... Beware of Imposters)
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

In my opinion, finding material isn't a huge problem—after all, Retro Gamer manages to fill its pages every month. A few rolling features on new and nostalgic things and Zzap! would be sorted. The problem in a regular Zzap! is the amount of work involved. I think Rob's suddenly discovering now what this is like—something I myself was very aware of when designing z107. A magazine of this size would usually have a permanent designer on board (at least half-time), along with one sub and one editor. z107 took two or three solid weeks of my time (unpaid, of course), and although plenty of people have a love for the magazine, I can't see many people willing to put in that much time and effort on a regular basis. I know I'm not particularly excited about ever doing another Zzap!, and I'll be very surprised if Rob does another (despite doing a sterling job on the current one).

As for payment, I imagine even if the figure was low that few people would bother, especially if it was a digital-only file.
elminster
Techno Teaboy

Post by elminster »

CraigGrannell wrote:
As for payment, I imagine even if the figure was low that few people would bother, especially if it was a digital-only file.
Yes, I see your point, even if you did it electronically, you would still have to spend a lot of time in the field getting articles, and interviews as well! Still nothing lasts forever, and I suppose thats what makes it special now. The fact after an 8 year silence that it still exists in the form of this website is probably all it really needs to preserve it.

Still no mag has kept me as interested since, but then that could simply be adulthood. I hardly buy any computer mags at all anymore. but I will certainly support anything that is produced by you guys the Zzap! Banner. I love that logo. It is truly unique!! I'm sure looking forward to PCG to!!
Elminster
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

CraigGrannell wrote:I can't see many people willing to put in that much time and effort on a regular basis. I know I'm not particularly excited about ever doing another Zzap!, and I'll be very surprised if Rob does another....
Indeed, pfft. :roll:
What a horror, I hope people will like it, and that it gets some positive attention, but for the rest....cost me half a year of pretty much all my spare time at the mo'. :?
Looking very much forward finishing it! :D
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:I'm gonna sell the printed (64 pages) DEF tribute as well for a tenner, on and off-line.
Really? Are you getting it professional done like 107 or what?

How many copies are you planning to print off? I would recommend no more than 150, since the first 150 107's sold really quick, the selling the last 50 was like blood from a stone etc.

BTW, it appears I caught your flu Mr. Zzapback! I too am almost hallusanating (p.s. of course I know how to spell this word but I can't see the keyboard correctly with my hallusanations!! x-) )

BTW2 If your message post count gets above mine again, you'll be banned for 2 weeks! :-p

Anyway, back to looking at the pretty pretty colours flashing around the room.....
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Iain wrote:
Mr.Zzapback wrote:I'm gonna sell the printed (64 pages) DEF tribute as well for a tenner, on and off-line.
Really? Are you getting it professional done like 107 or what?

How many copies are you planning to print off? I would recommend no more than 150, since the first 150 107's sold really quick, the selling the last 50 was like blood from a stone etc.
Yes. 99% sure. I'll print 100 copies, maybe 101. No more. :wink:
That's including the team's free copies, the celebs copies, and the copies I'll send to RG, Edge and Games tm. I'll try and be at the CGEUK, so I can get rid of most of 'm (somewhere in August, London) The rest I'll sell thru my or your(?) site, and/or eBay.

I'd better finish it now! 8)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

100 copies should sell in no time at all on the site, so I'll gladly help you out with that. Make sure you keep a few spare for yourself to sell them on eBay in a couple of years time for £100 or something silly x-)
elminster
Techno Teaboy

Post by elminster »

Iain wrote: BTW2 If your message post count gets above mine again, you'll be banned for 2 weeks! :-p
Teehee :lol:
Elminster
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

elminster wrote:Sign me up for a copy. I want the first one in Australia
Second, you mean...

:)
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Gazunta wrote:Second, you mean...

:)
A-hem ...
:wink:
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hehe, Zzap! wars down under! :)
Sorry Gazunta, I didn't make it!

Just a little patience people, you *might* be surprised of ths final outcome! 8)
This is going to be MASSIVE! :shock: :D
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I'm getting VERY excited! :D
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

We want test PDFs to proof read ;)
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Mayhem wrote:We want test PDFs to proof read ;)
Hehe, unfortunately for you all, I have an *excellent* assistant Editor. 8)
I promise I have DEF news coming week! :D