The Def Tribute to Zzap!64 FEEDBACK!

Discussion of the Zzap special by Mr. ZzapBack

Moderator: Lloyd Mangram

Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

No problem Iain,
Will pop in Smiths and get you a copy off the newsshelf. Anyhow still rereading my copy, well done Rob!!!! :D
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
PeeknPoke
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by PeeknPoke »

yes, Well done Rob.

It truly is stunning!

Lee
Visit Lee's PeeknPoke for classic gaming then cry into your beer.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Iain wrote:You lucky, lucky bastards!!

I don't think I'll be reading this thread again until I get my copy from Rob, it's just too painfull! ;-)
Iain, I sent your copies with Priority, that means 2-3 days only.
You'll have them by the end of this week.
So no worries. :D
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
savva0122
Techno Teaboy

Post by savva0122 »

As a bit of an "outsider" to this site, I just can't convey how good a piece of nostalgic journalism that you guys and in particular Rob have produced. It really does have to "look and feel" of the best mag ever to be produced and more importantly in the style.

The only downside is that it's easy to lament the passing of such a wonderful magazine and the feelings of utter jismic excitement when the new mag (Zzap!) arrived - or was that just me?
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Finished reading the mag cover to cover, and it's brilliant. I loved the comments in the margin, the sublime layout that echoes the classic ZZAP so exactly, and it feels great to finally call myself a ZZAP reviewer...
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

(Bangs head against wall)

THREE MORE DAYS......THREE MORE DAYS....THREE MORE DAYS....

:cry:
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:Finished reading the mag cover to cover, and it's brilliant. I loved the comments in the margin, the sublime layout that echoes the classic ZZAP so exactly, and it feels great to finally call myself a ZZAP reviewer...
Thanx Andrew! :oops:
Your positive feedback means a lot to me!
Feel all happy and warm by all positive comments all over the net, and I guess it's only the first wave! :shock:

Btw, I'm so glad I could cram in all those bottom page comments AND Rockford & Thingies. I only decided to do that, and actually did it, only HOURS before uploading the mag to Retro Gamer! 8)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mangram's Tippex Thinner
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Mangram's Tippex Thinner »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:it feels great to finally call myself a ZZAP reviewer...
Even tho you're not.
PeeknPoke
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by PeeknPoke »

Mangram's Tippex Thinner wrote:
Professor Brian Strain wrote:it feels great to finally call myself a ZZAP reviewer...
Even tho you're not.
erm. He is really. Hes a reviewer in a magazine called Zzap64! available at the end of this week that comes free with retro gamer or can be ordered online.

:shock: :D :D

Lee
Visit Lee's PeeknPoke for classic gaming then cry into your beer.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Mangram's Tippex Thinner wrote:
Even tho you're not.
And what is your problem exactly?? :roll:
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

PeeknPoke wrote:erm. He is really. Hes a reviewer in a magazine called Zzap64! available at the end of this week that comes free with retro gamer or can be ordered online.
Which, crucially, has the backing of a certain Roger Kean, who also wrote some stuff for the mag. This is, to my mind, more "official" than 107 (largely edited by Gordon).
Mangram's Tippex Thinner
Ken's Fishy Friend

Writing a few comments included in a free gift hardly makes anyone a Zzap reviewer.

My "problem" is old readers of Zzap who buy Retro Gamer will open the supplement and think "Who the **** are these people" as soon as they turn over from the contents page, then wonder why people from a message board are adding their comments to old reviews. Don't see the validity. Sorry.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Many old readers of Zzap!64 know who most of us are anyhow...

Iain - this site
Mort - the scanner
Rob - well... he's Rob!
Lee - Poking. And peeking
Andrew - Brian Strain in Commodore Force
Myself - just about bloody everywhere
Paul - here, there, Way of the Rodent, AtariAge

And just in case they don't, that's why the page at the front giving a brief bio on the people involved is there...

Fair enough, we weren't there doing it in the day... I'm sure most of us would have liked to (though admitedly meeting and chatting to Gordo in 1988 brought home the realities of just how bad it could be). I've done work for a teletext company, Hewland, Superplay, Edge, been featured in GamesTM and regularly in RetroGamer. I think I've earned my place :P

(along with everyone else present as we are generally a close knit "crew" of afficianardos. I try not to use "fans" as it comes from "fanatic", though I'm sure we can pop Rob into that category now :P )
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Mangram's Tippex Thinner
Ken's Fishy Friend

I think it's odd to add comments to old reviews, except by people who worked during the classic years (the beginning till issue 49, or maybe 50) but not on that particular review. I have no qualms over any Zzap!Back member's qualifications to pass opinion on C64 games or over their writing ability, but to outsiders it will seem very strange to see them following reviewer comments by Jaz, Gaz, Paz etc.

I apologise to anyone who may be offended, but that's my opinion.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Mangram's Tippex Thinner wrote:I think it's odd to add comments to old reviews, except by people who worked during the classic years (the beginning till issue 49, or maybe 50) but not on that particular review. I have no qualms over any Zzap!Back member's qualifications to pass opinion on C64 games or over their writing ability, but to outsiders it will seem very strange to see them following reviewer comments by Jaz, Gaz, Paz etc.

I apologise to anyone who may be offended, but that's my opinion.
I think it's one of those 'take it or leave it' things - This 'issue' of ZZAP! is a tribute so unless we can got back twenty years, we are never gonna see the original staff working together and the original ZZAP! still coming out.

It's like those fan-made Doctor Who documentaries and video's that were produced during the 90's (and the new novels that were published until recently). It keeps the spirit alive. (Sorry for another mention of Doctor Who!).

I haven't seen the suppplement yet, but if others are to be believed, it looks very much like the ZZAP! we know and love - If it had the ZZAP! name on the front cover, then inside it was unrecognisable, then I think people could complain....

Finally, none of the people involved (Rob, Craig, reviewers) are making any money out of this, so again, I don't see the harm? If it helps get a few people to investigate ZZAP! then I am all for it.
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com