Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Order the DEF Tribute to Zzap!64 online

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Not a Retro Gamer subscriber?
Not living close to a WHSmith?

Go here.

Bargain! :D
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Excellent!! Must add that link to the front page and fix the retro gamer one...

Any idea how many they have?

The price is great as well, much cheaper than it was to get issue 107, is the paper quality etc. similar to 107?
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

No, but it's still very good, thin but a bit glossy.
If the cover would have been a bit heavier it would have been perfect!
Miles better than the Your Sinclair Tribute, btw.

But then, that's a Speccy mag! :twisted:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

So any idea how many they have?:-p
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

RG (Aaron Birch) spoke of 15.000 copies for subscribers IIRC, I think they've printed about 20.000 copies, but could just as well be 25.000 copies. Maybe more, I have no clue how many mags they think to sell through WHSmith?
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

15,000? That a good amount of subscribers they have, the future of the mag seems somewhat secure with that figure anyway.

Hopefully, all the people who want a printed copy, will be able to get one. 200 copies of issue 107 were eventually shifted, but with the cheaper cost of The Tribute, there will probably be more of a demand.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Iain wrote:15,000? That a good amount of subscribers they have
I'd be utterly amazed if Retro Gamer has anywhere near 15,0000 subscribers, seeing as magazines with far higher circulations don't have anywhere near that amount. I'm guessing that 15,000 is a figure that includes all subscribers and copies for WHS.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Just to note for those of you who noticed that RG seems to have lost 16 pages recently; apparently it's a Live directive because traditionally summer magazine sales are a lot lower, and hence it's their way of reducing their costs on (predicted) lower sales figures.

Martyn admitedly wants more pages but it's out of his hands currently.

He hopes that the number should go back up again to 116 in a couple of month's time...
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I wonder whether they've switched printers? A mag I was working on had its pages cut from 124 to 96+cover, and that was due to low sales and it being cheaper to use a printer that did special deals on "32 x n" pages under 100. As for page fluctuations in general, any old Zzap! reader should remember that happening an awful lot, depending on how much advertising was in an issue.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Live Publishing have created and added a banner to order The DEF Tribute online on their site. Nice!
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

CraigGrannell wrote:I wonder whether they've switched printers? A mag I was working on had its pages cut from 124 to 96+cover, and that was due to low sales and it being cheaper to use a printer that did special deals on "32 x n" pages under 100. As for page fluctuations in general, any old Zzap! reader should remember that happening an awful lot, depending on how much advertising was in an issue.
Perhaps... but every issue since the start until issue #16 was 116 pages, and then suddenly #17 (and #18 here) are 98 pages I believe.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Yeah, that happened after that issue where they said the mag had 30% more content. And then they dropped 18 pages! :shock:
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:Yeah, that happened after that issue where they said the mag had 30% more content. And then they dropped 18 pages! :shock:
Yes, but they have cut out some of the unnecessary "header" pages, where you'd have one big image and a small bit of text. So that's why there's MORE content and LESS pages...
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:
Mr.Zzapback wrote:Yeah, that happened after that issue where they said the mag had 30% more content. And then they dropped 18 pages! :shock:
Yes, but they have cut out some of the unnecessary "header" pages, where you'd have one big image and a small bit of text. So that's why there's MORE content and LESS pages...
Ah, I see.
(continuing the complete off-topicness -as always) :wink:

At first, RG had 116 pages. (=100%)
Then, we had RG with 116 pages with 30% more content. (116 pages = 130%)
Now we have a RG with 98 pages. (grabs his pocket jap -and starts calculating rapidly)
And indeed, even with 98 pages there is 10% more content compared to the first year, with 116 pages. (130/116=1.12 1.12x98=110)
They should drop the 30% more content tag then, but I guess they did. 8)

Hehe.