It's official: The DEF Tribute to Zzap!64 press release!!!

Discussion of the Zzap special by Mr. ZzapBack

Moderator: Lloyd Mangram

Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

It's official: The DEF Tribute to Zzap!64 press release!!!

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hi folks,
at last, I'm so glad I can tell you all about it! :D

The DEF Tribute to Zzap!64 (64 pages, full colour) will be bundled with the August edition of Retro Gamer (out first week of July) for subscribers AND at your local WHSmith newsagent!!!

Later this year the PDF will be available for everybody who missed out on the printed edition, so no worries! 8)

It will blow you away! :D

Here follows the official Retro Gamer press release:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

RETRO GAMER ZZAPS BACK TO THE FUTURE!

June 24 2005 - A tribute to Zzap!64, one of the best-loved computer magazines of the 1980s, is to be given away with the August issue of Retro Gamer.

The DEF Tribute to Zzap!64 celebrates the magazine's 20th anniversary and features classic Commodore 64 reviews, developer interviews and articles looking back at Zzap’s illustrious past. Edited by Rob de Voogd (webmaster of www.zzapback.com), the full-colour, 64-page tribute includes contributions from Roger Kean, Gary Penn, Chris Anderson, Steve Jarratt, Gary Liddon, Gordon Houghton and many other former members of the Zzap team. There's also a selection of exclusive artwork from famed Newsfield illustrator Oli Frey.

"Zzap!64 was perhaps the greatest computer magazine of its era, and the DEF Tribute celebrates its 20th anniversary in fine style," said Retro Gamer Editor Martyn Carroll. "It's over 11 years since the last issue of Zzap appeared on shop shelves, so we're absolutely thrilled to be bringing it back after all this time."

Retro Gamer issue 18 will be available from Thursday 7 July. Subscribers to the magazine will receive the DEF Tribute, and it will also be given away with all copies of Retro Gamer sold in the WHSmiths chain of newsagents (where the magazine is on special promotion).

ENDS

About Retro Gamer
Published by Manchester-based Live Publishing International, Retro Gamer is the UK's first regular retro magazine. Since its launch in December 2003, the magazine has built up a very passionate and loyal readership. Each issue delves into the glorious, ever-growing retro scene and covers all the classic games, computers and consoles from your misspent youth. It is available to buy from all good newsagents, and can also be purchased direct from www.retrogamer.net.

Contact information
Retro Gamer Editor Martyn Carroll - martyn@livepublishing.co.uk
More news and updates will follow here, as well on my site.
Last edited by Lloyd Mangram on Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/press_release.php?aid=9737

hype! :D

I need to update my site asap! :shock:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
zzap64rrap7uk
Techno Teaboy

Post by zzap64rrap7uk »

FUCKING HELL!

NO WAY!!

SHIT!

SUPERB!

I WANT IT NOW!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I LOVE you ;)
Vinny Mainolfi - www.c64endings.co.uk
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

http://www.gamespress.com/

look at the recent press releases! pics included, front cover of tribute and front cover of RG18 (last ninja!)

:D
zzap64rrap7uk
Techno Teaboy

Post by zzap64rrap7uk »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:http://www.gamespress.com/

look at the recent press releases! pics included, front cover of tribute and front cover of RG18 (last ninja!)

:D
Damn! I have to wait for a password before I can read the article :-(
Vinny Mainolfi - www.c64endings.co.uk
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Hehe, Martyn Carroll just sent me the press release... he obviously doesn't realise I wrote some stuff for the Def tribute ;)
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Heh likewise...

Then again, my original copies of the Last Ninja games are on the cover disk (System 3 couldn't supply Live with any of them! :shock: :lol: ) so I get double contribution this issue ;)
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:Hehe, Martyn Carroll just sent me the press release... he obviously doesn't realise I wrote some stuff for the Def tribute ;)
Well, I think he did, I've sent him the masthead with all contributors weeks ago.
I'm SO looking forward to the mag!
As soon as I get my pile of copies in I start sending them to all contributors! :)
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Since the cover shot has been released, it feels more REAL. That might sound strange, but IT'S REALLY HAPPENING! :shock:

Sorry, I'll get me coat! :oops: :wink:
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

pdf to download only available later this year? :(

Apart from that, it's great, my email sending doesn't seem to work from college, so I can't mail out my reply to your email from earlier Rob!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Looking forward to seeing it (well, once the typo flashbacks and dreams go away!*)

* Seriously.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Iain wrote:pdf to download only available later this year?
From the tribute's point of view, this is actually good news—Live Publishing could easily have attempted to put more restrictions on this, but didn't (to its credit).
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Yeah, I offered the mag to them, and of course they'd only want it as an 'exclusive'. Not like:" downloadable from all over the web, and, oh! also free with Retro Gamer."

Retro Gamer and I made a deal, and we announce the launch of the pdf on the www later this summer.

No worries Iain, as soon as I get my copies, I'll send you a couple of 'm! :D

To everyone else: subscribe! Or spend your summervacation in the UK, and sprint to a local WHSmith! :wink:
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

CraigGrannell wrote:Looking forward to seeing it (well, once the typo flashbacks and dreams go away!*)

* Seriously.
Yeah, here's another one. :shock: :)
Btw, I've spotted more typos and small errors after uploading it to RG's servers, but we just have to forget about them and enjoy the issue and the positive feedback it will surely generate.

If this isn't a blast from the past! :wink:
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

CraigGrannell wrote: From the tribute's point of view, this is actually good news—Live Publishing could easily have attempted to put more restrictions on this, but didn't (to its credit).
True, but it's not like Rob is getting paid for any of it either, they are getting 64 pages of free content! :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing it in the fresh...and seeing the whole thing as well :)