C64 Disk Drive

Place your ads, auction links and requests in here
spurs
Techno Teaboy

C64 Disk Drive

Post by spurs »

Hi everybody.
For my first post I wanted to know if anyone knows where I can purchase a cheapish disk drive for my commodore 64. I have just recently purchased this lovely machine off EBay. I know I can get the disk drives off EBay but I was just wondering if there were any other alternatives.
Thanks and I love the forum, brings back fond memories of my childhood.
ZZAP! 64 Rules
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

HI Spurs, wecome to the site, I have an MMc64 which allows you to use emulator snapshot files, ie .tap .sna and .d64 so most one part games ie tape games in general work fine. This costs about £40 , Iain will no doubt update this thread as he has the newer fully 1541 compatible type.

Otherwise get a 1541 mk2, as they are very reliable and I have used one for the last 10 years without any issues :-)

Regards and Welcome
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
spurs
Techno Teaboy

Post by spurs »

Thanks for that info.
Would you or anybody else know where I could purchase a 1541 mk2 from?
Thanks again. :D
ZZAP! 64 Rules
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

The 1541 Ultimate is another cartridge / 1541 emulator and it loads pretty much everything including multiloads etc. etc. Unfortunately you can't get one at the moment since the creator is on a bit of a break and hopefully will be back with a new version with a few months...
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

spurs wrote:Would you or anybody else know where I could purchase a 1541 mk2 from?
As Iain says, the Ultimate cart is a good choice (I know a few people who are pretty chuffed with theirs) and the new version that's planned sounds pretty cool!

If you still want a real 1541-II, Ebay is obviously a good bet, but expect to part with a greater few notes than you did for the 64. If one pops up. And expect a small bidding war... unless you're lucky...
spurs
Techno Teaboy

Post by spurs »

Thanks for that.
By the way what is the best joystick to use on the PC to play emulated C64 games using WinVice?
ZZAP! 64 Rules