So it was him!!!

Did you agree with them etc.
SLF
Freelancer

So it was him!!!

Post by SLF »

Didn't know where to put this: here or in the Staff forum? Anyway.

Look what I just read on http://www.c64hq.com

"1987 saw Ocean completely changing around with a fine set of releases, with Head Over Heels being a superb conversion from a Spectrum classic, and Wizball being an all time favourite for lots of people. The plot, the superb music, the whole concept was unique, and how Zzap! 64 never gave it a Gold Medal remains a mystery to this day. Well, it did until recently. Julian Rignall, who used to work at Zzap! 64 at the time, told me that it was Gary Penn (editor) that made the editorial decision not to grant it one."
(Article by Warren Pilkington)

So the rumours were true. It was him! Again!

My Zzap!64 period began when GP left (the first issue I owned was 27, the Wizball one) and I can safely say that I'm glad of that: reading his reviews now makes me say I disagree with him very often!

Now that I think of it, we didn't have a "favourite reviewer" thread for a while :)
Nor a "least favourite" one, for that matter. Mumble mumble...
My top games: 1.Hawkeye, 2.Delta, 3.Creatures 2, 4.Armalyte, 5.Bubble Bobble, 6.Uridium, 7.Ikari Warriors, 8.Bionic Commando, 9.Buggy Boy, 10.Archon.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I thought Gary was less swayed by glitz than Julian, so tended to side with him more often. His Wizball decision was a mistake, although 96% soon became the level to get a Gold Medal anyway.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

This came as no surprise.
Btw, I have "evidence" that Penn is also the one who personally stopped Delta from getting a higher mark. (or eventually Sizzle)
It'll be one of the launch items for my (zzapback) site, so you have to wait for that one. (nicely designed and all)

Evidence can quite easily be found if you have Mort's zzap scan cd's though. (If you don't have them yet, GET THEM!)

I liked Penn's style as well as Rignall's.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

biggestjim wrote:Btw, I have "evidence" that Penn is also the one who personally stopped Delta from getting a higher mark. (or eventually Sizzle)
Mind you, this is pretty obvious just by reading the review - after all, most ratings were an "average" of what the three reviewers felt. This, I think, was confirmed by Lloyd in the Rrap, too. Mind you, unlike most people, I felt Delta's rating was bang-on. Ok graphics. really excellent music, and rather tedious and annoying gameplay. Note that the budget rerelease got the same mark in the mag, but with a different team.
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Are these available as a download these days?
Tentatively clicks SUBMIT and cringes..oh well, If you can handle C64 you can take a joke.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Practically every C64 game is on the Web somewhere - just learn to use a search engine such as Google.