Games not Reviewed in ZZAP!

Did you agree with them etc.
LeeT
Director

Games not Reviewed in ZZAP!

Post by LeeT »

Can anyone remember any games that were not reviewed in ZZAP! ?

One I can think of is 'The Young Ones' - It received a preview but was never reviewed. There was one issue around Issue 40 IIRC, where the ZZAPers receievd too many games to be included, and I think it was from around this period.

Another one - 'Human Race' ?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

The Human Race is a definite, and one I aim to redress by having it reviewed in the first installment of "Retro-Active Reviews". It's always been one of my favourite games, but what will the other two reviewers think of it....?
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

There are quite a few games Zzap! did`nt review - would have to get my thinking head on to remember them all. Off the top of my head, I think there was Sly Spy, Top Gun ( never reviewed full price only on budget I think ) Mikie ( Again only ever reviewed as part of a compilation and not full price, I`m sure ) I`m also pretty sure Super Hang On aand Super Sprint were never reviewd - seems to be the shit games really! They were loads of games released prior to Zzap! which were not reviewed of course, but there are numerous games which were released during the Zzap! years which never got a review.
PeeknPoke
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by PeeknPoke »

Super Sprint was reviewed but was not liked that much.

there were loads not reviewed, a lot of budget stuff and a few full price games. mostly because the software houses didnt send review copies to them.

Lee
Visit Lee's PeeknPoke for classic gaming then cry into your beer.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

PeeknPoke wrote:there were loads not reviewed, a lot of budget stuff and a few full price games. mostly because the software houses didnt send review copies to them.Lee

I'd go along with that reasoning. Even when we did get sent budget games, there was often a glut, so we decided to focus on the best (I think we only had 1 or 2 pages at the time, and since they didn't bring in advertising revenue...); and it was occasionally the case that full-price games were promised to other magazines as exclusives, and by the time the next issue was due that particular game would have been out for a couple of months anyway -- so we just didn't bother reviewing it (unless it was a particularly great game).

g.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Fiery Phoenix wrote:There are quite a few games Zzap! did`nt review - would have to get my thinking head on to remember them all. Off the top of my head, I think there was Sly Spy, Top Gun ( never reviewed full price only on budget I think ) Mikie ( Again only ever reviewed as part of a compilation and not full price, I`m sure ) I`m also pretty sure Super Hang On aand Super Sprint were never reviewd - seems to be the shit games really! They were loads of games released prior to Zzap! which were not reviewed of course, but there are numerous games which were released during the Zzap! years which never got a review.
Well I think some of those were only released on compilations anyway (Mikie IIRC) so they tended to get reviewed in the 'compilation roundups' which appeared now and again.
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Sidewize springs to mind even though Zzap!64 ran a couple of ads for it...
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
SLF
Freelancer

Post by SLF »

Night Breed, if memory serves.
My top games: 1.Hawkeye, 2.Delta, 3.Creatures 2, 4.Armalyte, 5.Bubble Bobble, 6.Uridium, 7.Ikari Warriors, 8.Bionic Commando, 9.Buggy Boy, 10.Archon.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

missing reviews

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Well, a lot of pre-zzap stuff was logically not reviewed, although some of 'm got the pastblaster treatment (guardian, rocket roger, encounter, impossible mission and others) some of 'm got at last a review when they were re-released.
(remember the poor summer of 1987 (software wise) when almost all Activision oldies got great reviews, zenji, river raid, decathlon, hero, pitfall II etc.)

But quite some 'popular'' pre-zzap games never made it as pastblasters or budget titles:

Ghostbusters
Boulderdash
Football Manager (!)
Spy vs Spy
Aztec Challenge
Summer Games
Raid Over Moscow
Toy bizarre

There's a lot of 'm to be found in issue 1 pages 89-91.

ROb
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

Aztec Challenge was DEFO reviewed as a budget title - I would put money on it - would have to dig out the old Zzap`s though - I`m 75% sure Boulderdash was as well and it got a silver medal for a budget title.

SLF is right, Nightbreed was never reviewed and if my memory serves me well the US Gold game Charlie Chaplin
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

I'm certain I saw Toy Bizarre reviewed as a budget game as well....
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

No need to dig out old Zzaps. All review ratings are in the Zzap bible!! www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/zzapbible.pl
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

err.

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Aztec Challenge was DEFO reviewed as a budget title - I would put money on it - would have to dig out the old Zzap`s though - I`m 75% sure Boulderdash was as well and it got a silver medal for a budget title.
Oops! That seems to be quite right!

Aztec Challenge by Top Ten 72% issue30 p106

Boulderdash & Toy Bizarre never got any review, so it seems.

My brain seems to be leaking, I gotta fix it! :)
ROb
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

BoulderDash got 96% and a Silver medal...
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

ARGHHHH!!!!!

I'm going to have the zzapbible come up as a pop up on every screen!!! ;-)

I should advertise it more since I think it's the best part of the site, especially with the links to the actually reviews!