Games not Reviewed in ZZAP!

Did you agree with them etc.
PGTips
Techno Teaboy

Other good CRL games

Post by PGTips »

Sorry, off-topic I know, but just wanted to get some CRL memories off my chest. You'll forgive the ramblings of an old man.

- Derby Day (on the Spectrum - I bought it! £5.50 from John Menzies. Quite a good fake betting game.)

- Tau Ceti (The Twiddy Classic - I bought that too) (Didn't CRL publish the sequel, whatever it was called? Alpha Centauri?)

- Bored of the Rings (or am I getting mixed up now? I remember they used to run half-page comic strip ads done by Mel Croucher and his illustrator mate Robin Evans. Delta 4 was the developer weren't they? Fergus McNeill, et al)

There must be more. Surely.

Less-good CRL games

- ID (a weird Mel Croucher non-classic, rather like a slightly boring Eliza program. I won this in a Crash competition)

- Cyborg (I won this in a ZZAP! competition, in which you had to draw a robot at the beach. My drawing was even printed in the mag! Semi-interesting, but maybe apocryphal factoid: The head of the figure in the cover artwork looked just like CRL's sales manager at the time)
farhan
Techno Teaboy

Post by farhan »

No Mayhem, upon checking lemon's website... it appears that Street Sports Football might have been the U.S release title/version of S.S. Soccer. You might be confusing Cinemaware's TV Sports Football with the Street Sports series.
There're few things as nostalgic as ZZAP!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

farhan wrote:No Mayhem, upon checking lemon's website... it appears that Street Sports Football might have been the U.S release title/version of S.S. Soccer. You might be confusing Cinemaware's TV Sports Football with the Street Sports series.
Hello! I'm afraid you got it all wrong my friend. :)
I have a copy of EPYX Street Sports Football over here, and it's the 4th in the series, American Football, and totally different from the SS Soccer variant. It's on a compilation with the whole SS series, and contains all four games. I had 3 copies of the package, I kept one myself, I sold one to Mayhem, and the third went on eBay.
It's indeed a US release btw.
And...Mayhem is seldom confusing anything, C64 related. 8) :wink:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Hi Pg,
Tau Ceti`s follow up was Academy and sadly only available on the z80 speccy and Amstrad. One Crl Game I did enjoy other than the the forementioned was the Boggit :wink:
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Re: CRL =

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

PGTips wrote:Computer Rentals Limited, if I remember correctly. Strange name but I guess that's how they started out back in, what, 1983 or something.

I wonder what Clement Chambers is doing now... Online air combat games, last time I saw him.

CRL had some good games to its name but it all seemed to go a bit wrong somewhere. Gordon, what was the name of that game that you reviewed, with the intergalactic vacuum cleaner?

Paul.
I think it was Thundercross?
http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=7918&d=18&h=0
farhan
Techno Teaboy

Post by farhan »

[quote]I have a copy of EPYX Street Sports Football over here, and it's the 4th in the series, American Football, and totally different from the SS Soccer variant. It's on a compilation with the whole SS series, and contains all four games. I had 3 copies of the package, I kept one myself, I sold one to Mayhem, and the third went on eBay.
It's indeed a US release btw. [/quote]

Indeed...thanx for the clarification Mr. Zzapback. I do remember Zzap carrying an Epyx ad showing only the three games, but as you said, it was a U.S. release.

So, there are two S.S. games not reviewed then :)
There're few things as nostalgic as ZZAP!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

farhan wrote:
I have a copy of EPYX Street Sports Football over here, and it's the 4th in the series, American Football, and totally different from the SS Soccer variant. It's on a compilation with the whole SS series, and contains all four games. I had 3 copies of the package, I kept one myself, I sold one to Mayhem, and the third went on eBay.
It's indeed a US release btw.
Indeed...thanx for the clarification Mr. Zzapback. I do remember Zzap carrying an Epyx ad showing only the three games, but as you said, it was a U.S. release.

So, there are two S.S. games not reviewed then :)
Indeed. :D
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
brian_dead
Freelancer

Re: Other good CRL games

Post by brian_dead »

PGTips wrote:Sorry, off-topic I know, but just wanted to get some CRL memories off my chest. You'll forgive the ramblings of an old man.

- Derby Day (on the Spectrum - I bought it! £5.50 from John Menzies. Quite a good fake betting game.)

- Tau Ceti (The Twiddy Classic - I bought that too) (Didn't CRL publish the sequel, whatever it was called? Alpha Centauri?)

- Bored of the Rings (or am I getting mixed up now? I remember they used to run half-page comic strip ads done by Mel Croucher and his illustrator mate Robin Evans. Delta 4 was the developer weren't they? Fergus McNeill, et al)

There must be more. Surely.

Less-good CRL games

- ID (a weird Mel Croucher non-classic, rather like a slightly boring Eliza program. I won this in a Crash competition)

- Cyborg (I won this in a ZZAP! competition, in which you had to draw a robot at the beach. My drawing was even printed in the mag! Semi-interesting, but maybe apocryphal factoid: The head of the figure in the cover artwork looked just like CRL's sales manager at the time)

wasnt lords of midnight a CRL game (and its sequels)?
Fizza
Techno Teaboy

Post by Fizza »

If you mean Mike Singleton's Lords Of Midnight (for I know of no other), then that and its sequal was published by Beyond Software, a pretty great software house in my opinion, until they were bought by BT..

Going back to Cyborg and CRL though, I really think that was a very wasted opportunity, I really thought there was major potential with that game.
knight_beat
Techno Teaboy

Zzap RetroReviews

Post by knight_beat »

Your Sinclair reviewed old games that had not previously appeared in the magazine in the last few issues. This would be a great subject for another Zzap tribute magazine.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

_Another_ tribute magazine? Argh!

/loses it
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

I can't hear you! I have bananas in my ears! Nanananaaaah! :o
Famous Mortimer
Techno Teaboy

Post by Famous Mortimer »

My god, "The Young Ones" was rubbish. I wish you had reviewed it, I'd have saved a couple of quid, and an hour of my life.
"The rich will do everything for the poor except get off their backs" - Karl Marx
Andy Haywood
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Andy Haywood »

Was "Gauntlet - Deeper Dungeons" ever reviewed?
humorguy
Techno Teaboy

Shame on all of you!!

Post by humorguy »

I say shame on all of you..........NONE OF YOU? I mean NONE of you.....? Gosh. Gosh. Gosh.......Not even remembering it in this thread either...?! I am lost for words.

Only the greatest RPG of all time folks.....How you missed it, I will never know....But miss it you did........even in this thread!

"WASTELAND". Interplay/EA 1988

Bow your heads in shame and penalise yourself with only ONE pint in the pub tonight!