'Tacky' Reviews?

Did you agree with them etc.
D M K
Techno Teaboy

'Tacky' Reviews?

Post by D M K »

Looking back through Issue 4, I came across the Editorial section which explained the Zzap Labels for games. Gold Medal and Sizzlers of course but there was also a label called 'Tacky' reserved for "second-rate software".

Can't see this label ever used in the mag in game Reviews. Maybe they just forgot..
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Check the reviews for "Hunchback at the Olympics" and "Web Dimension", those are two I recall that had them in the copy. It wasn't a long lived thing mind you...
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
D M K
Techno Teaboy

Post by D M K »

Oh, yeh. Didn't spot the 'Tacky' label as it looks scrawled underneath the strapline review. Looks like it only featured in those early issues.
relentless
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by relentless »

D M K wrote:Oh, yeh. Didn't spot the 'Tacky' label as it looks scrawled underneath the strapline review. Looks like it only featured in those early issues.
I remember a reader writing in asking why the Tacky label wasn't being used in the mag anymore. Can't remember the exact reply though, except that Lloyd sounded very diplomatic about it.

I guess they felt that giving a game less than 20% rating was enough condemnation already and there was no need to castigate a game more. I suspect the 'Storm in a teacup' with Minter was also a factor in scrapping the label. You don't want to p*** off the software houses too much.
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

I liked Tacky - I also liked Past Blaster's as well
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./