Remember Karen Gordon?

Tell us about what Zzap meant to you as a lad
Mayhem
Editor

Remember Karen Gordon?

Post by Mayhem »

No? Take a look at the cover of issue #28 and maybe then you'll recall. And very nicely she agreed to answer some questions :)

http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/interview/karenwild.htm

Still getting replacement hosting sorted so this temporary IP address based reference will do for now...
Last edited by Iain on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated link
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Fascinating! - How did you realise it was Karen? - I presume she mentioned that her claim to fame when you were buying her stuff on eBay?
This excerpt puzzled me....
"I fell out with my C64 a few years back when I was nearly finishing writing my latest adventure game when my 16k Ram pack wobbled and I lost the lot."
:?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah, her eBay auctions briefly mentioned her claim to fame, so I followed things up :)

I was confused by that too... I'm thinking she may have meant Vic20 instead...
SLF
Freelancer

Post by SLF »

Really nice interview, well done.
My top games: 1.Hawkeye, 2.Delta, 3.Creatures 2, 4.Armalyte, 5.Bubble Bobble, 6.Uridium, 7.Ikari Warriors, 8.Bionic Commando, 9.Buggy Boy, 10.Archon.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

How about asking her if she would like to be involved (somehow) with 108?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hey Mayhem,
that's really nice detective work!
A nice read too.

Shouldn't we also try and track the challengers to get some nifty inside information? :)

Ni!
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
So Long Ago
Freelancer

Post by So Long Ago »

try tracking down Debbie Marriage - think she turned up with one of the early challengers. The original Zzap groupie!
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

That's very impressive, Mayhem! I doff my weathered hat to you.
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

That's a really good interview! Great to see something different every now and then. Well done that Mayhem!
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

Yes a good read - I'm going to check out the cover next to see the ninja mystery too!

From a personal point of view I find it interesting how so many people like her once had games so dominate their childhood and yet now it's just a dim memory with no place in their lives today? Well, I suppose you could say that about many things - I often think people like us who 'never grew out of it' seem very much the exception!

[Edit] Oh I see on the cover, it must have been a picture of her that didn't look right so she got 'ninjad' and put on the knight! (another reason why she never got the original too no doubt)
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Well, it's rather telling that she said she'd be holding Head and Heels, and they both look like they're looking upwards to someone. I agree - I reckon the original was her + those two characters, but Oli (who was one of the editorial team), probably didn't think such a cover would sell, and therefore reworked it.
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

In her interview she say's always wondered but I think she probably knows too! :wink:

Mayhem, indeed a good interview - interesting read and a good puzzle to solve too!
Karen Gordon
Techno Teaboy

Caught you peeking!

Post by Karen Gordon »

HI it's Karen here - thank you for your comments.

Since the article I have been sent a copy of the issue to autograph plus have received numerous very very nice and sometimes slightly weird emails. But mostly nice and very interesting.

The 16k ram pack - well guys you obviously have not got the knowledge I have.... unless I have memory loss...maybe it was the one on my ZX81 hee hee! See, old age catches up with us all. :oops:

Be assured that I DO still love computer games and I DO play them at every opportunity, I have a dancemat even. Problem is as you all will know or may find out, little children and high scores do NOT go hand in hand.

All the best to you folks and keep in touch, its great to hear what you are all up to :D

Karen
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Welcome aboard! Love your "occupation" in your profile! :)

Em.. your signature on the cover of that issue... that could add a couple of £'s on eBay ;-)
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Hi Karen :)

Glad to hear that my interview has had mainly good responses to it heh. Hope all is well for you there!