Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Karen Gordon
Techno Teaboy

eBAY!!???

Post by Karen Gordon »

I am sure you are joking about the ebay thing. Next time I will ask for commission... (mmm getting precious aren't I?)

I confess I was a little embarrassed about forum comments to the tune of 'her pic on the cover would not sell, so of course they stuck a ninja on the front'! I am sure they are quite right but hey don't kick a girl when she's down guys!

And funnily enough now I am a keen Karate student the ninja pic could really be me! LOL!

Take care all,

K x :wink:
Iain
Admin

Re: eBAY!!???

Post by Iain »

Karen Gordon wrote:I confess I was a little embarrassed about forum comments to the tune of 'her pic on the cover would not sell, so of course they stuck a ninja on the front'! I am sure they are quite right but hey don't kick a girl when she's down guys!
Well I think Craig probably meant the difference between a face / game cover, I very much doubt he was commenting on your looks, if that's what you mean?

Actually they could have had a first since years later, women were/are all over cover mag covers! ;-)

p.s. was the original idea was to have a full cover of your head and a couple of the margin characters?
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Read the interview Iain ;)

Certainly Karen thought that the plan was to have her flanked by Head and Heels. Certainly they still made it on the cover in the pose planned. But Karen ended up on the horse with the knight instead!
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Re: eBAY!!???

Post by CraigGrannell »

Well I think Craig probably meant the difference between a face / game cover, I very much doubt he was commenting on your looks, if that's what you mean?
That's exactly what I meant—I wasn't trying to offend. Zzap! was ultimately primarily a lad's gaming mag. Oli's covers were often fairly dynamic and violent, and the readership to some extent perhaps expected such a thing. Given the choice between a ninja slashing the page and a girl holding Head and Heels, the editorial team most likely thought the ninja cover would sell better. Of course, in these more enlightened days, the opposite is more likely the case (see PC Format, T3, and myriad other mags).
And funnily enough now I am a keen Karate student the ninja pic could really be me! LOL!
This is where we find Mr. Frey is actually some kind of fortune teller and therefore had the new you (the ninja) rising from the old. It was all planned, you see, way back in the mid 1980s. It was your destiny, grasshopper.
gaelliott
Techno Teaboy

Superb!

Post by gaelliott »

What thoroughly entertaining interview that was.

So refreshing to read of an encounter with the deities of Zzap towers from the perspective of a mere mortal.

Well done, Karen. I really enjoyed it.
George Elliott
Karen Gordon
Techno Teaboy

Post by Karen Gordon »

That's exactly what I meant—I wasn't trying to offend. Zzap! was ultimately primarily a lad's gaming mag. Oli's covers were often fairly dynamic and violent, and the readership to some extent perhaps expected such a thing.
Fair point - I know you weren't trying to offend, but I was kind of wondering if they thought I was just totally unsuitable for some other, (distinctly paranoid) reason. Feel a bit less puzzled now. This mystery has bothered me on and off since the issue came out! Thanks guys.
It was your destiny, grasshopper.
Indeed... I made it so. 8)

P.S. Thanks for all being so nice! Am trying to remember some more juicy gossip for you - in fact, yes, they were taking the mickey out of Steve Jarratt for having a science degree. And in the pub we had fresh squeezed orange juice, with bits in (yuk!). But Steve had a pint.
duddyroar
Techno Teaboy

Post by duddyroar »

Can I just say that I was one of the people who sent Karen a 'weird' email, I was basically trying to get as much info about Julian Rignall out of her as possible for the Mean Machines Archive - however all she could tell me was that he was a nice chap! Always nice to speak to someone who has met the Jazz-ster though. :)
Kick Monkey Ass at the Mean Machines Archive! - http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk