My First Issue

Tell us about what Zzap meant to you as a lad
farhan
Techno Teaboy

first issue

Post by farhan »

My first issue was #37, May 1988, the one with the Pac-land review and a big Mr. Pac on the cover. The oldest Zzap issue I ever laid my hands on was issue 11, the one with the Mercenary review.
There're few things as nostalgic as ZZAP!
dust
Techno Teaboy

Post by dust »

ah, Mercenary.. the other wire-3d game that I literally had to wait MONTHS to play after reading its Gold Medal review. Another wait that nearly killed me! ;)
Fizza
Techno Teaboy

Post by Fizza »

I started reading Zzap! since Issue 1 and stopped around issue 36 or so, when I got an Amiga. My small, but probably oft mentioned claim to fame is that I won a compo in Issue 1 and had my name printed in Issue 3. Shame it wasn't one of the good prizes though :( I entered about four of them and came out with Penetrator & Dark Castle.. better than nothing though, and I thought Penetrator was rather good.. Dark Castle was average at the most...
BryHam
Techno Teaboy

Post by BryHam »

To my utter shame I had every single Zzap! 64 from issue 1 until about four years ago I binned them all as I didn't have room for them anymore.
It remains the only computer magazine of any sort that I always read cover-to-cover, and went back to again and again.
darren
Techno Teaboy

Post by darren »

My first ever issue of Zzap was issue 34. I had owned a commodore 64 since 1983 and was just getting into it again after not using it for many years.

I Read those early issues constantly and always bought them on the day they came out on my walk home from School. Issue 41 is one I remember well as I wanted Last Ninja 2 SO badly (must have read that review every day). I ordered it via mail order and had an agonising wait (seem to remember it was months) before it finally arrived complete with plastic throwing star and ninja mask.

I think the last issue I ever bought was issue 71 although I don't really remember any of them that well after issue 56. The magazine was never the same after the Gordo years.

They were all in my parents loft until about 5 years ago when they moved house. I couldn't be bothered to go and collect them so they took them to the tip. :roll:
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

BryHam wrote:...years ago I binned them all as I didn't have room for them anymore...
Welcome to the club! :)
And then there was eBay, and this board! Hurrah!
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Re: first issue

Post by Sixteen Plus »

mine was #36, well that was the issue when i started to buy Zzap on a regular basis, but my first ever issue was #31 (the 3D issue)...and i think that was shortly before i owned a C64...if it was as i can't quite remember, it must've swayed my decision to upgrade from my humble C16 which was in it's death throes anyway.
richard
Techno Teaboy

Post by richard »

I remember a lovely sunny day wandering about Dublin, checking out all the computer shops, and there it was zzap64 issue 48 - the one with blasteroids on the cover. Read it till the covers fell off :lol: That dungeon master review just made me want to cry..it looked amazing. I wanted an amiga so badly, never did get one though.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

richard wrote:I remember a lovely sunny day wandering about Dublin, checking out all the computer shops,
What were your ccomputer shop haunts back then?

I had a almost set pattern I'd folow x-) Clery's -> Eason's -> Peat's -> Virgin, none of this "Game" and "Electronic Bouque" (??!) back then!
richard
Techno Teaboy

Post by richard »

There was loads of them back in the 80's mate :D Pretty much followed the same route you did. Tomorrows world in the ilac centre was good, a couple of small shops on parnell street for really obscure games you wouldn't get anywhere else. A fairly good shop selling nothing but c64 stuff on kildare street.

And surely the crappest electronics shop in Ireland....Peats! I think every game I bought there had to be returned. Of course everything I returned would work on their test computers :? They were, and still are a bunch of tossers. I can still remember the disapointment of rushing home with a freshly purchased copy of knightmare, only for the sodding thing not to work!

Iain, do you remember that "computer club" that used to meet in the Ormond hotel?(think it was the ormond hotel!) Turned out to be a fairly big games copying club from what i remember!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Ah Peat's. Indeed I always thought the sales people in there were arrogent tossers! Games were expensive as well, although I do remember buying some 15 game compilation in there. It was crap!

Tomorrow's World in the Ilac, how could I forget that! I brought my C128 in there, and then had to bring back the cassette deck about 10 times!! The games were very expensive in there as well :(

A complete C64 shop on Kildare street? :-o Why was I never told of this!! It wasn't on the corner where Compustore was?
richard
Techno Teaboy

Post by richard »

Nice trip down memory lane :D .The shop on kildare street, now has an estate agents office in it. Quite close to cafe en seine. My memory is a bit hazy, it was back in 1988!
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Issue 5 from a local, grotty little newsagent in Pontnewydd, Cwmbran, South Wales, where I lived as a kid. 8)
Subculture
Techno Teaboy

Post by Subculture »

Issue 3 was my first from a little newsagents called "leemings" in duke street in hartlepool (it's now a londis or something like that).

They used to reserve it for me every month after that, I think I stopped reading it at about issue 51 when they suddenly got rid of all the staff in one go, plus I had an amiga by that point and had also just discovered alcohol :).
blim2
Techno Teaboy

Post by blim2 »

Issue 4 from Wm. Low, Crieff Road, Perth. I got it monthly from our local newsagents after that. Zzap! was the centre around which my childhood from age 11-14 revolved, influenced my turns of phrase and inevitably influenced me and a mate to create our own fanzine of Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, using little thumbnail sketches of ourselves. Last issue was 35 - less than 3 years but somehow it seems to occupy a much longer space when i think back.