Worst Memory

Tell us about what Zzap meant to you as a lad
sdoneill
Techno Teaboy

Post by sdoneill »

I had every Commodore Format so I thought it would be a good idea to make a list of every game reviewed. It took me ages and I even got a mention about it in the letters page but then they stopped making the magazine.

:cry:
Fab
Freelancer

Post by Fab »

Submit it to http://www.commodoreformat.co.uk. Or ask Iain to host it along with Zzap! Bible

So your toil will be rewarded, although after some years :)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I believe commodoreformat.co.uk has a games review bible there already? or am I wrong? if not, I'd be glad to host it! I can put it in a database for searching like the zzap ones.
bytraper
Techno Teaboy

Post by bytraper »

Worst times for me were

1) spending months writing a "Flying Ace" style game in Machine language that really kicked some serious butt for the day... then finding out my disk drive is out of alignment... i get it back all aligned and good and suddenly I cant load ANY of my code for the game I was writing :( so much for multi disk backups...

2) Blowing my c64 and my action replay up while I was trying my new multi cart adapter

3) recently buying a c64 and 1541 on eBay and finding all my old code disks have grown fur on the magnetic disk material

Best time recently was finding some of my demos and utilities from my c64 days somebody had converted to pc :D

Another good time was when I went to a C64 user group meeting and seeing some guy explaining what intros were and then having the shock of seeing him load up one of my old intros on the big screen and explain to the people what I'd done and how I did it. He didnt have a clue what he was talking about, but everyone was hanging on every word he said and i didnt want to ruin it lol

Good memories and bad :)
49 20 4C 4F 56 45 20 4D 59 53 45 4C 46
brian_dead
Freelancer

Post by brian_dead »

When my 64 stopped working so i sent it off to the computer repair people, it took ages and cost £45, when i got it back the letter informed me it was the internal fuse that had gone which would of cost me 60p.

a close second is when my parents took my 64 away because they thought i spent too much time on it playing games. fortunately i found were they stashed it and used it when they were out.

then there was the time my sid broke and i had no sound for a year.....
vectrex
Techno Teaboy

Post by vectrex »

I played my C64 to death and the hardware was preety sound... mine broke once... took it for repair at the "local" electronics shop 40 miles away! I think they said it was a RAM chip... and I think it cost £30 to repair...well it cost my parents that much! What comes around goes around though and nowdays its me forking out £60 everytime my sons Xbox 360 dies!

My other big dissapointment was a game I asked my parents to order... The game was Death Star Interceptor... cant remember the software house (gits)... i had seen an advert in a mag and though it looked good (the screen shot must have been from another system). My parents sent a cheque which was cashed... but the game never arrived... they had to phone and phone and phone... I'm guessing that the company was just stalling and the C64 game wasnt finished. I did get the game eventually...and it was utter crap! I dont think I ever bought another game via mail order!
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

vectrex wrote:I played my C64 to death and the hardware was preety sound... mine broke once... took it for repair at the "local" electronics shop 40 miles away! I think they said it was a RAM chip... and I think it cost £30 to repair...well it cost my parents that much! What comes around goes around though and nowdays its me forking out £60 everytime my sons Xbox 360 dies!

My other big dissapointment was a game I asked my parents to order... The game was Death Star Interceptor... cant remember the software house (gits)... i had seen an advert in a mag and though it looked good (the screen shot must have been from another system). My parents sent a cheque which was cashed... but the game never arrived... they had to phone and phone and phone... I'm guessing that the company was just stalling and the C64 game wasnt finished. I did get the game eventually...and it was utter crap! I dont think I ever bought another game via mail order!
Death Star Interceptor was one of the first releases from System 3... often prone to delays in releasing games, particularly when the whole programming team leaves a game and they have to bring someone else in to finish it.

As for worst memories, and referring back to the start of the thread, the liquidation of Europress Impact. Not too happy to have slaved for hours to get extra work finished in time for issue 16, even unhappier to never be paid for it...
vectrex
Techno Teaboy

Post by vectrex »

Ahhh I was going to say system 3... but then i thought they released the Last Ninja (top game) so I thought my memory was playing up!
AndyManUk64
Techno Teaboy

Post by AndyManUk64 »

Well I'm new to the party here so hi everyone.
I thought my whole C64 life was all good until I've finally dug deep depp down to that lost memory.
Yes I remember
My girlfriend stayed over one time and I think my C64 got jelous.
The next day it refused to start working and never again did it work.
I had to send it away to be repaired.
I now have a simple rule i live by to this day.
My computer is off limits to all females 'be they wife/gf/kids. Its that simple.
If they want to get onto the internet I'll get them another computer, just cant use mine.

AndymanUk64
Tea drinker
Techno Teaboy

Re: Worst Memory

Post by Tea drinker »

The worst memories i have are of when my C64 stopped working properly while i was trying to play Vendetta (System 3's great driving game) and when i decided to stop buying Zzap! 64 after the terrible issue 82...
Best memories have to be all the great times i had playing and talking about games with my friends and finding out some of my letters got published. Interesingly for me, i've been having a look at the scanned Zzap! pages and for the first time ever i got to see a reply to my scathing attack after being so mad at issue 82. I had written my letter, posted it and never bought another one. The issue with the reply to my letter is issue 84 and i was surprised to find it had been answered in quite a reasonable manner and that my comments were listened to. At this point i have to go off topic a bit and say thanks to the folk responsible for this site for bringing back so many memories.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Can't blame you for not buying the magazine anymore at that point, it was its lowest point, but things did get better after another few issues.

Which letter was your one? There's quite a few in there commenting on the state of issue 82! :)
Tea drinker
Techno Teaboy

Post by Tea drinker »

Hi, Iain. Dang it.. i posted my reply to your question in the wrong thread. At the risk of repeating, i think it was called 'Total Tripe'. It's strange to read it as i'd forgotten what i wrote. I seem to remember writing a few different versions before i posted the one i sent.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

You had me a bit confused about that all right! I'll delete the other message.

Here's the link to it anyway:

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... azine=zzap

A good letter with VERY valid points as I think most would agree on here. Like you say, they did go kinda easy on you on the reply though. It kinda depresses me looking back at those issues. I'm not looking forward to having reread them for the new version of the ZzapBible when I get to that stage...
Kayanna
Techno Teaboy

Post by Kayanna »

Newbie here..and a little (or maybe not reading this thread) surprised no one has mentioned loading side one on the tape and kicking the games ass for "please load side 2" to appear on the screen, then side two not loading. I don't recall any of my 64s dying on me so maybe I got off lightly...
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Kayanna wrote:Newbie here..and a little (or maybe not reading this thread) surprised no one has mentioned loading side one on the tape and kicking the games ass for "please load side 2" to appear on the screen, then side two not loading. I don't recall any of my 64s dying on me so maybe I got off lightly...
Was that for multi load games? Pretty harsh if it took two sides of the tape to load in a single loader. :(