And I was a Clever Contact!

Tell us about what Zzap meant to you as a lad
Davy Boy
Techno Teaboy

And I was a Clever Contact!

Post by Davy Boy »

Any other ex- clever contacts out there? I compleated around 20 adventures and sent in my details to the WHITE WIZARD. I always used to steal my ZZAP from WHSmiths btw, I will never forget recieving over 50 calls per day for 6 months! My mum went mental! I was such fun getting all those calls, and 1000's of letters requesting solutions!

I always loved Castle of Terror and Sherlock

wow it brings a tear to my eye!

i am totally useless with computers these days! how funny is that!!!!

Davy
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Shame on you, but I guess Newsfield still go ttheir money.

I used to wonder why people would give out hints and tips for free, especially if it cost them time to print off the tips and post them.

Regarding the amount of phone calls and post... I can well imagine your mother going mental!!
Davy Boy
Techno Teaboy

Post by Davy Boy »

I worked for £11 per day at the time in a solicitors in London as a dogsbody! Perks included staying late to photocopy all of the solutions to games, borrowing envelopes and stamps to post to every corner of the world! :wink:

I always felt that the adventure games got little coverage? was this the case? I wrote to the WHITE WIZARD to suggest an ADVENTURE RRAPP like LLOYD MANGRAM's and he printed my letter, i was well chuffed!

Are there any other CC's out there ?

Better sign off now i can hear the phone and someone probably wants to know how to break the spear and kill the count! :wink:

Happy days!

Davy
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Welcome to the forum Davy! :)

Every few months, the White Wizard would say that somone was withdrawing from the CC due to people phoning them up late at night etc. can you imagine a magazine doing something like that nowadays? :lol:
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Davy Boy
Techno Teaboy

Post by Davy Boy »

I was in the mag for around 6 issues. In the end i also asked to be removed due to the logistical nightmare i had created!

Problem was i still got calls for over a year! They gradually faded over time but i did answer the phone MANY years later to someone asking for help!!!

I couldn't believe it! :shock:

Did any of you moderators get into the adventure stuff?

Can you tell me how the WHITE WIZARD worked? what he does now?

Sooooo may questions?

Anyone help?

DAVY BOY
8)
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

The WW was really a guy called Steve Cooke who went onto launch ACE magazine for Future. Not sure what he is doing these days?

I like adventures but don't really have time to play them these days - I played a lot on ZZZzzzzzz (a Mastertronic budget game) and managed to complete it, depsite it having some odd problems to solve. Not having a disk drive at the time, I never played the Infocom games and keep meaning to get around to it! I also enjoyed several of the Melbourne House games (Hampstead, Terrormolinos to name but two) and one of their games was a dual text/joystick input (Zim Sala Bim?).
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Davy Boy
Techno Teaboy

Post by Davy Boy »

Yeah i remember playing zzzzzzzzzzzzz too!

Lord of the rings
shadows of mordor

were the big ones as i remember?

twin kingdom valley was my first game i think?

laters

davy