I found a letter I had printed in Zzap!

Tell us about what Zzap meant to you as a lad
outsider
Techno Teaboy

I found a letter I had printed in Zzap!

Post by outsider »

Thanks to all involved with this site for reviving some happy memories. I only discovered it an hour ago, and I went searching for a letter that I got printed. I found it, and when I read it I nearly fell of my seat laughing at it. In fact, I'm still laughing.
I was such a fan of Zzap that I took it upon myself to write a letter of (constructive) criticism about each section of the mag.

The letter was headlined "For Gods Sake Shut Up", : It's here:
http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... azine=zzap
and here:
http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzaprrap.html

thanks again to whoever scaned and transcribed it.
BTW they got my first name wrong, it's Aidan.

:D
Ockhams Razor
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Ockhams Razor »

So not fair! I wrote to Zzap 4 or 5 times and never got one printed... :cry:

Thanks for popping the link in, I did have a shufty and thoroughly enjoyed reading it...

I wonder what LM looked for in a letter to be printed coz some of them are, shall we say, a little random... I think he just binned two thirds without taking them out of the envelope as he "would never print a letter from someone unlucky" ???

Must have been a right laugh reading some of the crud that must have come through... i bet there were 'classics' pinned to the notice board in case anyone got depressed and needed cheering up!

Adios
outsider
Techno Teaboy

Post by outsider »

I think it was my 2nd or 3rd time writing a letter, and I typed and printed this one so that may have swung his decision to read it rather than bin it. I remember the letter was a lot longer than the version printed in the mag, and I gave LM permission to edit it down. No wonder he wanted me to shut up. I was 14 at the time and some of the stuff I came out with was priceless... I'm still laughing thinking about it.

cheers,
Aidan
Famous Mortimer
Techno Teaboy

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I still remember the great letter title "A Loony Lemonader Lambasts", and its replies the next issue, "A Loony Lemonader Lambasted".
"The rich will do everything for the poor except get off their backs" - Karl Marx
hsabbers
Techno Teaboy

Post by hsabbers »

Hmm... I currently edit the letters section of two computer mags and I do indeed encounter nuts of all description, Ockhams. It's an odd situation for me because, when I was about 15 years old, I wrote to 'Lloyd' complaining how uncaring and uncorrupt was the publishing industry. If only I'd known then what I know now, etc! Still, in an odd kind of way I did fulfil a lifelong ambition to work on magazines... I just wish it wasn't so *dull*.

Harry.
I'm not who I say I am, but don't let that deter you.
Sizzler
Techno Teaboy

Post by Sizzler »

he he i bet that felt like a blast from the past!! :lol:
I just looked at the scan in question and right at the bottom at the end of the next page there is an advert for a shop in blackpool selling replacement C64 parts in my hometown in 1988.

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... azine=zzap

I just rang them but their number is out of service for some reason.... :P
My fondest gaming memories are my Commodore 64...