Zzap covers

Tell us about what Zzap meant to you as a lad
jason hudson
Techno Teaboy

Zzap covers

Post by jason hudson »

I really liked Oli Frey's artwork throughout the mag but especially the front covers. This was one of the things that attracted me to Zzap in the first place and it was really exciting spotting a new issue in W H Smith hidden amongst the rest of the magazines on the shelf.
Commodore games have pretty simplistic graphics so Oli's art acted as a great realisation of a game.
My favourite front covers were issue 15 Leaderboard (my first Zzap!) and issue 20 (Gauntlet).
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Yeah, the covers of all the Newsfield games mags were distinctive and really helped set the tone for the mag.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

In the DEF Tribute, someone mentioned that if they were launching a mag today, one of the things they would copy from ZZAP! would be the covers. Gota agree with that 100%. It would be just so distinctive! 8)
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

They were great - although the standard did drop

Best - Knight Games cover

Worst - what else? Pac-Land!
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./
James H
Techno Teaboy

Post by James H »

God there were so many good covers, that was one of the best things about going to the newsagent.. 'what will the cover look like this time?'.

I really liked Number 43 - the review of Cybernoid 2 and Armalyte.. however I am a shoot em up fan and probably a bit biased!
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

(This is close to heresy, but I think issue 64 - the Time Machine cover - which wasn't by Oli is one of my favourites)
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:(This is close to heresy, but I think issue 64 - the Time Machine cover - which wasn't by Oli is one of my favourites)
Gasp! I'm telling on you... :wink: