Sci Fi spin off?

Tell us about what Zzap meant to you as a lad
fletch
Techno Teaboy

Sci Fi spin off?

Post by fletch »

Hi guys,
First bought Zzap at issue 6 (pinball construction it/Spy vs Spy?) after being nagged by my Spectrum owning Crash buying schoolmates! Of course I loved it and read it many times over every inch, i remember buying the next issue and reading everyone whinging that there was no gold medal in issue 6 and "I want a Gold Medal every month"! Even at age 10 or 11 I remember thinking `what an idiot`!
Anyway my favourite section was ol White Wiz, being lucky enough to have 2 infocom games (starcross/deadline) it was a golden time. I was destroyed when whitey left and was replaced by some strategy chick!

The point of my post...
Does anyone remember some Sci Fi spin off magazine the Newsfield team tried? I bought the first issue (or did it come free?) and it was very hi-brow and saved me from rainy welsh holiday boredom.

Living in Australia now where ebay postage costs are sooooo high!
Any shops here guys?
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

FEAR was the horror spin-off, Newsfield also took over GM the role-playing magazine and rebranded it as Gamesmaster International. That had sci-fi in it...
fletch
Techno Teaboy

Post by fletch »

FEAR i vaguely remember, but i`m sure there was another venture (a failure i presume). The issue i remember had an article featuring Blade Runner / 2001 etc. Is it possible this was in FEAR? It would have been around the Amiga time...
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Didn't one of the first issues of the Games Machine have a Blade Runner article? Or was it LM? (that one lasted 4 issues)

edit:
I think you mean LM, issue 0 came free with Zzap issue 21.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
So Long Ago
Freelancer

Post by So Long Ago »

there was a blade runnner/cyber punk article in TGM by Stuart Wynne. Very good writing I thought at the time.

Fear lasted for a few years disappearing when Newsfield went pop. It was edited by John Gilbert who happended to edit Sinclair User at the time that Crash did the Unclear User piss take.