Where have all the adverts gone?

News related to the site
Iain
Admin

Where have all the adverts gone?

Post by Iain »

You may have noticed the site is now advert free, although it's not by choice. The advert broker I have been with for 11 years have decided to deactivate my account (and many others) because we don't fit their profile any more.

Bastards! I gave them the best years of my life! x-) They sent me a F off email a few months ago, but it turned out that was only for my forum adcode, but now it's for my main adcode / account.

Now unfortunately this means that the site is down by approximately $90 or so revenue a year and with DVDs sales / revenue slowing, the books aren't balancing too well.

I don't know if other advert broker are bothered with small sites. I could try Google but I don't know how relevant the ads would be. They are on Lemon64 and don't match much at all, therefore I assume not much money is gotten from them.

I did have 3 web sites up until this month, this one, gamebox64 and another one fro magazine scans. I am in the process of merging the latter two and therefore have only renewed 2 sites for this year so that saves around $100.

Since I only work part time now (5 hours) while looking after my child, the site really has to more or less pay for itself these days, so I think I will need to try get a bit of money from somewhere... maybe have more Amazon adverts for a start since I get a good percentage on their affiliate program.

Anyway, don't worry, this site isn't going anywhere no matter what happens!
Toneman
Techno Teaboy

Post by Toneman »

I am doing a l;ittle bit of research on Web Advert - but I'm sure you know more about it than me Iain! It occurs to me that the publisher of Retro Game however might be interested in advertising, and I'm sure other would be too.

I would like to do something to help financially myself, but since I no longer have my own business money is very tight and it's not an option for me. It might however be worth putting a donate via paypal button on the site. I am sure none of us would want to see it go. For very biased reasons (having just found you etc etc) I don't!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I thought about a donate button but I'd feel too guilty about taking the money and not actually doing any work on the site. If it came down to a choice of closing the site or putting up a donate button, than I would do the latter, but it's nowhere near that kind of choice now.

I'll probably try out more affiliate type ads and see how they go and push the Amazon ones more since they give a good affiliate rate.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Put up a donate button!

You may not do much to the site as such, but it's still an awesome resource! I've seen sites with donate buttons with very little 'content' on them...

Chuck me the code and I'll put it on the Compilation64 site too!