Happy 30th Birthday Zzap!

News related to the site
So Long Ago
Freelancer

Re: Happy 30th Birthday Zzap!

Post by So Long Ago »

Iain wrote:
Mayhem wrote:It's probably been said somewhere and I've forgotten over the years.. but if Newsfield was already in Ludlow by that point, why did Zzap!64 start up in Yeovil for three issues?
It was down to Chris IIRC, he didn't want to move to set up Zzap and I guess things came to a head after a few months. It was a bit mad to have one of their magazines set up so far away from Ludlow really.

[edit]
More info from the man himself from the unedited interview with him from the fan based Amstrad Action:

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzap-rrap/viewt ... vil#p10517
[/edit]
As someone who was around at that time I think Chris somewhat misrepresents things in that quote. Maybe it was tongue in cheek? Truth was it never made sense to have the editorial office located as far away as it was when at that time there was more than ample space in Crash Towers. After the initial euphoria of launching Zzap died down the relationship between Chris and the Newsfield management rapidly deteriorated. I always had the impression that whilst Chris admired the success of Newsfield at that time he didn't much approve of the people who ran it.
Iain
Admin

Re: Happy 30th Birthday Zzap!

Post by Iain »

So Long Ago wrote: As someone who was around at that time I think Chris somewhat misrepresents things in that quote. Maybe it was tongue in cheek? Truth was it never made sense to have the editorial office located as far away as it was when at that time there was more than ample space in Crash Towers.
It was a kinda strange thing to say, maybe tongue in cheek or slightly bitter...? As you say in business terms it would have made little sense and the move being because of the reason Chris hints at, doesn't make a lot of logical sense either.

I did ask Roger about if the move didn't happen, would Chris have stayed and would Future Publishing never have been but as Roger said and I'd have to agree, Chris was always going to be moving onto bigger things and most likely had the goal of his own publishing company in mind anyway.

While we are on the subject of Chris, there's a blog post on TED.com about a CBS 60 Minutes show discussing the impact of TED Talks. Short interview with Chris as well.

http://blog.ted.com/on-60-minutes-the-i ... ted-talks/

A great positive thing, TED talks.