High Res Scans of Issue 107

News related to the site
Iain
Admin

High Res Scans of Issue 107

Post by Iain »

Will be going offline in a day or two (need the space as I've only got 500k space left on the website).

So grab them while you can, although they'll be back at some stage.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

The high res scans are now gone.... They will make a come back at some stage.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

I was planning on hosting one set of them at some point in the near future... I'll let you know :)
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

That would be great, they aren't downloaded all that often so it shouldn't use up too much bandwidth.

GOt any space to download for some scanned issues? :)
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Sadly not, probably just about enough spare for about an issue I think if I didn't increase my site past it's current size! I was planning on hosting and linking because of my involvement with #107 ;)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

If someone (Craig?) could resize the highres pdf to max. 25 mb I could host even a couple of Zzap 107's.
Maybe I figure out how to do it myself without losing too much of the excellent quality.
I'll get back.
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Actually thinking about it, I probably got my sums wrong. Not enough space for substantial quantities of issues though. It's hard to tell, I'm currently adding a substantial amount of content to my site (WIP) and I'm not finished yet. So far I'm past the 100MB mark...
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

biggestjim wrote:If someone (Craig?) could resize the highres pdf to max. 25 mb I could host even a couple of Zzap 107's.
Maybe I figure out how to do it myself without losing too much of the excellent quality. I'll get back.
Uh, what's the point in resampling the high-res PDF? That's why I created the low-res ones! Please don't create a middle-ground version for release - that's against the whole point of having the different versions.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

You're probably right Craig, sorry I mentioned it.
But you know why? I have a couple of domains where I can put a maximum of 25 mb, no ads, no bandwidth trouble and all that.

So, since there was trouble getting space for the hi-res versions, I thought it maybe would be an idea to trim them down a couple of mb's to 24/25 mb, so I could easily upload them to two of my domains and share them.
(I think a 32-page-pdf of 24 mb can still be pretty hi-res, would we really miss those 6 mb's?)
If you say: don't do it, we won't, ok?
Ta!
Rob

Next time 'we' could do 3 versions: low-medium-high resolution, or something. :wink:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I should point out that I have no problem with people suggesting solutions regarding hosting the hi-res files, so don't apologise for the idea. In many ways, it sounds perfect, but my issue is that the hi-res (300dpi) files are the way they are for a very specific reason: this is a high-quality print resolution. Quality magazines are released at this resolution (some are lower, but these are usually cheaper magazines - ironically, perhaps, they often use a very similar resolution to what we'd have to do here).

I figure that if you're going to have lower than that, you may as well just use the lo-res files. Feel free to experiment, if you want. Or maybe there's some way of compressing the original files to make them smaller? I just feel that, as it stands, the magazine would suffer by reducing the resolution - especially the cover, which I put a lot of effort into.

Maybe I'm just being too precious about this - what do other people think?

As for z108, assuming it gets made, we can look at resolutions nearer the time. I'll definitely do a 300dpi and low-res version. Maybe, if we can find hosting, there's the possibility of other resolutions, too.