Specials in the Zzuperstore

News related to the site
Iain
Admin

Specials in the Zzuperstore

Post by Iain »

To celebrate Zzap's 20th Brithday, you can now get all the Newsfield DVDs for a special price in the Zzuperstore and even if you own one of the DVDs, you can get the others cheaper as well!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

BARGAIN!!! :D
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
RichH6109
Freelancer

Post by RichH6109 »

Hmm..tempted. Any chance of a "non-Newsfield" special (i.e. CU/YC/C&VG) for current Zzap owners? For the errr..23rd anniversary of the C64.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why these are so pricey in the first place? Although I realise a lot of hard work has gone into the DVDs, it's a little galling to see a price of £23.99 for a single DVD of scans, and it would be rather like the Gamebase dudes selling off that collection for a similar price (or HVSC doing the same).

Media (50p) + cover print out (a quid or so) + a few beers (£7—at least "dahn sahf") + postage (£1.50) would suggest a tenner a pop as being a little more reasonable.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

RichH6109 wrote:Hmm..tempted. Any chance of a "non-Newsfield" special (i.e. CU/YC/C&VG) for current Zzap owners? For the errr..23rd anniversary of the C64.
I thought of that, a C64 special, just waiting to hear back from Mort regards that.

Re Pricing for Craig

They do cost a fair bit but Mort has gone through a number of scanners and he has to buy a lot of the mags off eBay and he has spent 100's (if not 1000's) of hours on them and he doesn't exactly sell 100's of the DVDs... so with all that taken into account, the price does seem kinda justified, but Mort can come in here as well :)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

iain wrote:
RichH6109 wrote:Hmm..tempted. Any chance of a "non-Newsfield" special (i.e. CU/YC/C&VG) for current Zzap owners? For the errr..23rd anniversary of the C64.
I thought of that, a C64 special, just waiting to hear back from Mort regards that.

Re Pricing for Craig

They do cost a fair bit but Mort has gone through a number of scanners and he has to buy a lot of the mags off eBay and he has spent 100's (if not 1000's) of hours on them and he doesn't exactly sell 100's of the DVDs... so with all that taken into account, the price does seem kinda justified, but Mort can come in here as well :)
I have to agree with Craig here, no offence Mort, not that I want to underrate your incredible work, of course.
I'd say 23.99 is a bit on the steep side, but on the other hand I think a tenner is a bit on the cheap side.
I'd settle for 14,99. Why? Because burning a DVD cost (me) about 20 minutes, printing and labeling costs time. Those bubbled baggies cost money. S&H worldwide should be included in the price, so sending to Australia should be possible just as well to the USA, Europe and all that, without needing to hassle with the price. Plus having a stroll to the postoffice costs time. Plus the energy/efforts, dead scanners, thirst, dvd's, paper, ink etc. All in all, 14.99 would be really balanced, considering all this.
Personally, I wouldn't do it for less. 8)

My two cents anyway.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I suppose if he's trying to recoup losses on the magazine and scanner purchases then that's fair enough. I still think the price is way too steep for impulse purchasing though, and seeing as it's effectively copyrighted information being "sold", I guess that irks a little. To my mind, something like Rob's suggesting would likely net more sales, and at that price, I might be tempted to buy a couple of them, but there's no chance at £23.99. I wonder how many others feel the same?
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Heheh, I have no reason to complain though, I only paid full price for the Zzap set. In fact it was at BitLive III, and I got it for 20.
All other sets (everything Newsfield and EMAP without the Speccy stuff -of course) I got for a friendly price at BitLive V and when Mort visited Rotterdam. So I guess I'm lucky. In fact I still gotta pay for some stuff Mort gave me. :) I even got his Commodore Zone scans which is ace, and very useful for the DEF tribute.

Like I said, 14.99 would be perfectly reasonable (price of a good old disk game -ha!) and do-able for most poor retro folks. :wink:

Btw, Craig I think Mort is willing and able to make a *special price* for you if you're interested in the Newsfield scans, don't worry. :)
Ta!
Rob (back to work again!)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I do think that the price of the older collections (eg Zzap and Crash) could come down, but Mort is worried about pissing off the people who bought them at the "full" price I believe, I don't think that would be much of a problem though...
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

iain wrote:I do think that the price of the older collections (eg Zzap and Crash) could come down, but Mort is worried about pissing off the people who bought them at the "full" price I believe, I don't think that would be much of a problem though...
I do fully understand all the reasoning—I was just curious is all. As for annoying those who paid full price, that's the nature of "stuff". I paid full price for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and you can now get it for £7 in some stores—thing is, I got it earlier and when I wanted. Kenz has done the same with Binary Zone stuff, too. I bought the BZPD collection at full price and it's now there at naff-all price, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, to add a lovely chiché to this thread. Mmm. Cookies.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

8)
Last edited by Lloyd Mangram on Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichH6109
Freelancer

Post by RichH6109 »

As one of the "full-price" purchasers, I can wholeheartedly say that I've no problem with a price drop :D

I doubt if anyone has bought the full set of mags (I've got two of the nine) so any price reduction in the "wants" list can only be a good thing.

BTW can anyone Emule Zzap 105 and 106? My disc has got scratched and I can't recover them.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

RichH6109 wrote:As one of the "full-price" purchasers, I can wholeheartedly say that I've no problem with a price drop :D

I doubt if anyone has bought the full set of mags (I've got two of the nine) so any price reduction in the "wants" list can only be a good thing.
I feel the same way, re the cookie and all that x-)

All we need now is some input from Mort! :)
RichH6109 wrote: BTW can anyone Emule Zzap 105 and 106? My disc has got scratched and I can't recover them.
Shit am I motivated these days or something! I have just added them to the eMule page and I have eMule turned on here as well!!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

RichH6109 wrote:
BTW can anyone Emule Zzap 105 and 106? My disc has got scratched and I can't recover them.
Not that you're actually missing anything. :wink:
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Thanks for the input guys,
I would be willing do DVD`s at £14.99 now with the smaller sets at £10 (Games Machine and Amtix) all inclusive of Iain`s taking his usual cut to help with website costs and p&p anywhere in the known universe.
Seriously. I have just spent around £300 on mags this month alone for future projects, upgraded the scanner 9th scanner now! and always try to make the stuff freely downloadable (check out sinclair-heaven ,cpc oxygen, offered the Cf scans to Commodore Format`s site (still awaiting a reply)) so the price is really a thankyou and donationware as each set takes about 6 months from start to finish and about 3 hours a day scanning and collating material,Iain knows how hard I work and the whold reason for the sets was to save download time and people wanted them ).But I still want people to be able to access the scans in however they feel fit ie freely downloadable when possible.

To be fair the cost of the blank dvd`s has dropped aswell as the cases so a price drop was on the cards

Oh and the Cf, CU and C&vg disks would be great for 64 owners who have zzap so basically they could be discounted together.

Now where did I leave the keys to my Ferrari shaped like a Nissan Sunny :P :wink:
Last edited by Mort on Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff