HTML Reviews

News related to the site
Jianso
Techno Teaboy

Post by Jianso »

This mad bugger doesn't have a scanner or any old issues around! I suppose I could "find" some OCR software on the net and use that on the scans, but that would be, like, cheating! (Though it is something I've been thinking about trying in the future.)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Unfortuntly OCR software doesan't work too well on the scans available on the site, you really need to scan the page in at 150dpi or more, which gives you a res of about 2000x4000 or something silly.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hi folks,
nope, this mad bugger over here types them 'all' in by hand.(wizball so far, and a couple of unfinished ones :wink: )
I have an excellent scanner, but no OCR software.
I do not trust that kind of software, and why bother if you have to check everything on mistakes. I rather type it in straight away!

Iain. wizball is on it's way....err...NOW!

Byeee

Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Rightio, I got it, I'll try to get it up on the site within the next 2 years! ;-)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Wow, I got it on the site around 730 days early!

Now you've no excuse, getting ocring/typing!!!! >;-)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Wow, not bad Iain!
But what's this 'typed in/OCRed by biggestjim' stuff!?
I'd like to see some emphasis on me typing in the bloody 3 page review! :wink:
Anyway, I'll do some more then. (only fave games, or else I don't have the motivation - btw very nice of Jianso that he does all those cr*p games :) I wonder why though.)
Ta!
Rob
Last edited by Lloyd Mangram on Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Jianso
Techno Teaboy

Post by Jianso »

Well, I only have the scans of issues 1 and 26 downloaded so far, so I thought that I'd go through 26.
I'll probably do some other games (ones I like) here and there too - to stop me from getting too bored of typing in the crap ones.
I'd forgotten how many crap games there were!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Biggest Jim, make sure you don't type in any of the reviews that are on gamebase64 or the gold medal reviews from early issues that are on my site.

re "ocred/typed in" cheeky bugger! I'm not adding a column in the database just for you! ;-)
Jianso
Techno Teaboy

Post by Jianso »

If anyone else is going to type in reviews, I think we all need to check that we aren't working on the same ones.

Biggestjim, what are your unfinished ones? Maybe we should post the names of the games we hope to type in.

Just a suggestion..
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Excellent idea Jianso!

my list so far:
Wizball (done & uploaded)
Speed King
Head Over Heels
Matchday II
all busy with...

games I want to do:
Microprose Soccer
Maniac Mansion
Dan Dare

If this list is annoying others, for taking away the surprise factor, we could eventually PM each other in the future? What does Iain think of it?

Cheers Jianso & happy typing!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Well my super dynamic, review input system would take care of this...but it isn't finished of course. So I think I'll write a small script that displays the reviews tat people are working on. Watch this space.
SLF
Freelancer

Post by SLF »

It's all great stuff really, and sooner or later I'll find the time to help out (hope so...).

I would suggest to add the name of each reviewer in his box, it's important to know who wrote what (i.e. I wouldn't care about what Penn said about a game, but if it was JR things change :P ).
My top games: 1.Hawkeye, 2.Delta, 3.Creatures 2, 4.Armalyte, 5.Bubble Bobble, 6.Uridium, 7.Ikari Warriors, 8.Bionic Commando, 9.Buggy Boy, 10.Archon.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Huh? But the title of each comments box has the full name of the reviewer on it already.
SLF
Freelancer

Post by SLF »

iain wrote:Huh? But the title of each comments box has the full name of the reviewer on it already.
:oops: Must be a problem with my browser then, sorry :oops:
My top games: 1.Hawkeye, 2.Delta, 3.Creatures 2, 4.Armalyte, 5.Bubble Bobble, 6.Uridium, 7.Ikari Warriors, 8.Bionic Commando, 9.Buggy Boy, 10.Archon.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Which one/version browser are you using? Anything else on the site seem weird to you?