Redevelopment of Scans Section

News related to the site
Iain
Admin

Re: Redevelopment of Scans Section

Post by Iain »

I have been (somewhat) busy over the holiday period cleaning up my data and cross checking for errors and then cross checking again etc. etc. somewhat obsessively and I believe I pretty much have it error free now and almost the way I want it.

So I can now do something like:

Give me all the reviews where Wizball is reviewed:

Code: Select all

Review Name                            Score     MedalID     GameScore           ZzapIssue  ZzapIssuePage  
Wizball                                96           2              0                27         14             
Magnificent 7                          91           0              0                33         94             
Def Guide To Shoot 'Em Ups             0            0              98               43         105            
Wizball                                97           5              0                55         50             
Back To The Feature: 1987              0            0              96               99         14             
Top Ton!                               0            0              0                101        20             
Def Guide To The Best C64 Games Ever!  0            0              0                107        10             
ZzapBack Wizball                       97           1              0                108        24                      
Before all of this, the only results would have been the full price and budget reviews.

Now after a bit more data fiddling, the next step is to get it user friendly and create the new web page to allow for all this new searching and resulting results!

It's actually been years since I have done much front end HTML / CSS development. Hope I remember some of it.... The <font> tag is something to do with if I remember correctly... ;-)

p.s. If somebody wants me to search for a specific game in the meantime, post in this thread and I'll get the results for you. Think of it like 1960's mainframe computing. Just plain text accepted rather than punch cards!
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Great stuff!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Damn, wish I could get my ass in gear and actually do the web stuff needed to get the Zzapbible V2 properly online!... :(
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Well, I want to do some Ruby on Rails stuff outside of work, so I have set up a virtual server with the plan to get Ruby on Rails on it and use that for developing the ZaapBible v2 on that.

It'll kill two birds with the one stone, i.e. learn more RoR and do some coding work on Zzapbible V2 ( a bit overdue since I finished the database bit of it many a year ago...)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Didn't think I had set up the server all the way back in January!

Anyway, my job was made redundant last month (it was part time) and my current project is doing the Zzapbible version 2 in Ruby on Rails on a new server and keeping my RoR skills up and improving them, so things should start happening soon enough, but bloody hell, this has been going on for quite a number of years! :-o Thankfully databases are still a thing, so the data is still workable and up to date :-D

It was great re-reading this thread to see some of the ideas I had regarding the scans section and might help motivation.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Sorry to hear about the job. I'm grateful you still fund and are still working on the site though.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Iain: Have left you a PM as well. Not been able to access the scans for a few days now. Some kind of internal server error!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Ta for letting me know. I guess there was a new Perl version installed on the server or something. My file include path stopped working on all Perl scripts. :( They should be all fixed now. The static HTML pages were all fine, something to be said for the old non fancy stuff! :-D