Best end game screen...EVER!

Chat about all the old and new games
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Best end game screen...EVER!

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

Just wondering if anyone remembers the BEST end game screen they ever saw - we all remember the games which went back to the begining after the last level or the ones which just had a simple " congratulations. "

What about the BEST though?

The one that sticks in my head is Navy Moves - although I can`t remember if it was the C64 or Amiga version. You make it to a deserted island with all these hula girls serving you drinks - then, I`m sure ( if my mind `aint playing tricks with me ) a guy came out and started chasing you around the island - maybe it happened or it is some form of peverse drem of mine!
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

The only game I have ever finished was 'Rolands Rat Race' and I needed a cheat for that!

The ending was good though - It showed Roland & co travelling up to the surface and a little tune was played. I was definetly impressed at the time!
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

I didn't see many I have to admit.
(I remember a certain mag ,probably CU, had this covermounted booklet with all kinds of end endscreens)
But I really liked the closing ceremonies of the EPYX games-series. (not exactly an end screen)
I returned to 'freedom' in Head over Heels, I liked that.
And I was really pushing to see the ending of Dan Dare (one of my all time favourites, what an atmosphere!) but I always failed to beat the Mekon!!! Anyone finished it?

Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

Yeah! I still have that CU booklet somewhere - it was called something like " The screens they did`nt want you to see "

They had Amiga and C64 games in there - from the top of my head they had Marble Madness, Barbarian ( Psygnosis version ) and Impossible Mission.

One game I always wanted to complete was Frankie Goes to Hollywood - did anyone get to become a " real " person and enter the Pleasure Dome?

Most end game screens are a mega disappointment, remember the games with excellent intro`s and shitty end game screens - Psygnosis` Shadow of the Beast games on the Amiga come to mind here. Just makes you mad when thought goes into the intro and the game, but not to the end game screen.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Well I guess their reasoning was that most people don't get to see the end screen so there's not much point spending too much time on it, but everybody sees the intro screen!
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

Just thought I would post this link - it`s leads to a zip file which has 57 end game screen shots from C64 games such as Project Firestart, Zak and the Alien Mindbenders, Maniac Mansion and loads more. You need the VICE emulator however to run it.

The Link is:

http://www.c64hq.com/downloads/game_end ... hq.com.zip

My personal faves on it are Impossible Mission ( The Mad Prof begging " Noooooooo " ) Raid over Moscow is pretty cool, so is Turrican 2 and Project Firestart is sublime

BIG disappointments are Head over Heels and the Questprobe adventures - bloody hell, if I had battled my way thru a HUGE adventure and got " task complete - try again? " I would be throwing my C64 out of the window!
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Impossible Mission was good. Target Renegade was very good (even you could complete this one Lee! :lol: ). Erm, what else?

I dunno, I completed a lot of games but not many had really good end screens. I completed Monty On The Run without the cheat (one of my finest achievements!) and you just sailed off and that was it, nothing special. I'll have to have a think and see if I can come up with any more of note.
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

You finished Monty on the Run without cheats? :shock:

I bow before you, o great one!

:)
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Ant wrote:You finished Monty on the Run without cheats? :shock:

I bow before you, o great one!

:)
Hehe! :D

Yes, I did, twice. I can't do it now though. That damn C5 section is incredibly hard. I must have lost some of my reflexes as I've become an old man! :lol:
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

if anybody remembers the atari 2600 and a game called HERO.. it was a great little game and if you made it too 1 million the game ended...in place of the score you got little pictures of bombs ( which represented lives in the game ) oooooh..what an anti-climax...but i do believe that there probably isnt anybody but me who actually finished the game
therer was also a game calle " solaris "... i finished that too.. at the end you end up on a planet and all the little men on the ground wave at you whilst theb sky flashes.. i was like only 13 years old and i thought thatb was HOT!
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

I thought when you reached 1M in Hero the score turned to !!!!!!!!! (a trademark Activision thing, score goes to exclamation marks)...
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

well it just goes to show how the mind of a young teenager can be so malliable>>> so they were " !!!!!!!!! " hmmmmm... oh well now i know that im not alone... knowing that hero was an activision game tells me that im in good hands....and yes mayhem ...>>I will stay FOREVERRRRRR>>>HA HA HA HA HAaaa

but i bet you never finished SOLARIS.. it took me literaly years to finish that game....>PLEASE LET me be th only one>>>THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

the end of mayhem in monsterland was pretty snazzy, it showed all the 'happy' levels scrolling by on the same screen each under each other if i recall.
baz
Matt
Freelancer

Post by Matt »

Baz wrote:the end of mayhem in monsterland was pretty snazzy, it showed all the 'happy' levels scrolling by on the same screen each under each other if i recall.
baz
yep it was,
also creatures 1 & 2 had nice endings. turrican also (or was it 2?). oh, and turbo charge!
don't ask me for any details but I remember them to be cool.
there was this website called 'end of the line', probably by frank gasking if I remember that correctly. a site with a lot of screenshots of game endings. I don't think the website can be accessed anylonger. but I suppose frank's too busy with games that weren't these days.

cheers 8)
-matt
ThrustLevel10
Techno Teaboy

Post by ThrustLevel10 »

Didnt even know they MADE a creatures 2! Finished creatures, ending was ok (guess I had an amiga soon after).

Impossible mission was quite good, did the prof look over his sholder (animated) or is that my imagination..

Head-over-heals dissapointing ending? I didnt think so. Did you finish it -or just get to Freedom? (Has anyone else finished it, or am I the only one!!) When you did it ALL (all planets liberated, THEN goto freedom, you see head with a crown on his head, a cannon-salute, fanfare music, and a feeling of "blimey! I actually did it..!"

Clocked Park Patrol after a mammoth play - it felt gooood.

Cauldren 2 (the v.hard one with the bouncy pumpkin) did that one, now THAT was a toughie. And was dissapointed at the "ending". Ah well, still felt good though.

Did Wizball, but cant remember an ending (did it repeat?). Did a lot of games, and like you say, many had put an ending as a low priority.

The ending of I.O. was a bit bland, the programmer(s) definately used up all their efforts on the game on THAT one.

Heres a question. I completed the rather excellent and haunting adventure, Kentilla. However, I had to fight my way through that tough ogre thingie. Now, I had a crystal that would glow, and had heard that the crystal would take that suckka out easy, but could I zapp (pun) him with the crystal?? no dammit, I couldnt figure it out. Can anyone remember exactly how to use the crystal on him? It's still bugging me!! Please tell me aghhhha...

Also, did the black knife do anything? (I would slaughter the bolshy Ogeron at the beginning and take his knife (blush). I guess im just a bad man..)

Heres a point worth of a new thread:
Games are different these days. We didn't have memory cards or save options (not typically, anyhow). A game started with the "hope I got the heads on my dataset right".. - shift+run/stop.. wait.. wait.. PLAY!! With all the rigmarole of loading it, you would give it a good play before TRYING to load something else. But the game ended at reset. These days, all games are designed to be completed (All 120 stars on mario64 by the way - keep bragging..) is this better or worse?
If they released games without save options I expect they would get crippling reviews.. IMHO, very few "modern" games have given me the feeling of "im on my last life, am soo close to this.. knife edge.. come ON!! YYYEEAASSSHHH!!!" that I got during the 8-bit days. (only one that comes to mind was diddy kong racing - finally stuffing it to wizpig. - yes, im still bragging..)

... and there wouldn't have been a mad prof to create the whole Impossible mission if the poor chap had had a save option...

Anyway, that kentilla thing. I really really want to know! Someone put me out of me misery, P L E A S E.
JSR $2020
JSR $2020
JSR $2020
JSR $2020
JSR $2020
JSR $2020