Text Adventures

Chat about all the old and new games
amazingbeatleman
Techno Teaboy

BEATLE QUEST? THE ONLY ONE?

Post by amazingbeatleman »

WELL GUYS AND GALS, THERE WAS A SPECCY GAME GAME BY RUSSEL ?, A YOUNG MAN FROM THE WIRREL, WHO DID A HOME SPUN GAME CALLED 'MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR'. I MIGHT STILL HAVE A COPY, SOMEWHERE!!!!!!!!!! I WAS GOING TO PUT IT OUT FROM NUMBER 9 SOFTWARE, WHICH HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GUYS FROM LEVEL 9. NUMBER 9 WAS JOHN LENNON'S NUMBER: 'REVOLUTION NO#9', 'NO#9 DREAM', ETC.
I AM NOW NUMBER 9 BOOKS.
THERE ARE LOTS OF BITS ON THE WEB, PUT IN 'BEATLE QUEST'.
I EVEN HAVE MY OWN VERSIONS NOW TO PLAY ON EMMULATORS. I DID IT FOR BOTH C64 AND SPECCY.

BEST WISHES
GARRY
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Re: BEATLE QUEST? THE ONLY ONE?

Post by Sixteen Plus »

that's presactly why i liked the choice of label name, the white album is classic.
i tried to google out the 'magical mystery tour' game and found nothing, was it for C64, and is there any chance i can grab a copy? :wink:
amazingbeatleman
Techno Teaboy

BEATLE QUEST AND OTHER BEATLE GAMES ETC!!!!!!!!

Post by amazingbeatleman »

Hello anybodle, anybodle at all, GARRY MARSH here, writer of that 'wonderful' text adventure; 'BEATLE QUEST'. I've got some news for someone who's interested, i've been in the archives and found some old tapes. I'm prepared to send them on to someone to 'deal with' if that's what you'd like?
They are:
MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR #2 BY ROY STEAD
MMT DATA BASE
BEATLE QUEST DATABASE
A DAY IN THE LIFE PART 2 DATABASE (UNFINISHED)
SPECTRUM BEATLE QUEST SCREEN '4 KINGS'
PLUS
KENTAYLOR BY ROY STEAD
KENTAYLOR#3

If the boss gets back to me then I'll send them on to be put into the ether.
Oh yes, I've also found 'HERACLES' by my friend Johnathan Kemp. It may already be out there, let me know.

Best wishes
Garry
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Frank or the Gamebase team should be interested in the above. They should look in here soon...?
Famous Mortimer
Techno Teaboy

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I was a text adventure addict as a kid- in fact, I recently went through the entire Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy on the BBC website for old time's sake. Without tips (I remember the page in Zzap where people advertised solutions to games) it was pretty much impossible- putting four sorts of fluff in a plant pot then taking the plant pot into the sauna, among other things.

I wanted to play Douglas Adams' other text adventure, "Bureaucracy" but wasn't it Commodore 128 only? Something like that. The Infocom games were always pretty good fun.
"The rich will do everything for the poor except get off their backs" - Karl Marx
dgourlis
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by dgourlis »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
I wanted to play Douglas Adams' other text adventure, "Bureaucracy" but wasn't it Commodore 128 only? Something like that. The Infocom games were always pretty good fun.
Well, after 4 months I am answering your post. Oh well,, Yes, Infocom produced CBM128-only games as well, and Bureaucracy was one of them. I recently managed to buy a brand new version from Ebay, including the tiny thin red pencil !!!

I was and still am an adventure games addict, and specifically a text-graphics adventure games fan. I have been buying them through ebay since 1999 and have almost completed all collections, but the rare expensive ones, ie Myth by Magnetic Scrolls, the Archers by Level 9 and a few Infocom games.

Text adventure games were a great genre, it really immersed the player into the game and boosted the imagination. Infocom got it right, Magnetic Scrolls almost got it right and Level 9 discovered the recipe for excellent games after the creation of Knight Orc and onwards.

The Rod Pike adventure games via CRL, were very "verbose", "like reading a good novel", with excellent descrtiptions but illogical puzzles and a very limited, obscure parser, which spoiled the fun.

Actually the only and main drawback for the adventure games was definitely the parses and some illogical puzzles, mainly "maze type". Unfortunately, this drawback has been carried over the new generation of adventure games as well. Very rarely does a game leave the player with the feeling of satisfaction that everything he/she did during play was logical and realistic.

In my opinion, the best adventure game ever, and the first one I solved on my own was Maniac Mansion. A real masterpiece of programming, concept and execution by Lucas.
Plato said, Beware the wrath of the patient man
dgourlis
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by dgourlis »

I just found this amazing auction on Ebay. The guy is selling the Zork TRS version among other unbelievable stuff.
Check it out
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZplanktonxQQhtZ-1
Plato said, Beware the wrath of the patient man
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

WTF?!!? Are these game so rare as to be worth $200++ each??

His postage is on the high side as well.
Auntie Slag
Techno Teaboy

Post by Auntie Slag »

I remember buying a text/graphic adventure called 'Token of Ghall' (I think that's how it was spelt). Does anyone remember that? I remember the reason I bought it was because I was desperate for another game fix (one of the local Newsagent's was my C64 game pimp), and I was too tight to pay for the fancier five quid games like 'Future Knight' with all it's fancy packaging and shiny Gremlin Graphics logo.

'Token of Ghall' was by someone lower than Power House in my estimation. Godawful considering I was into action games, and my first lesson in not being able to return something simply because you don't like it!

Still, some great reviews in Zzap for Fish & Corruption (the lush graphics helped), combined with the incredible prices that Special Reserve were offering on them at the time really got me back into the swing of things.

I was crap at both, mind.